Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy,
    I've seen alot of mentions concerning Randy Rhoads in the "EVH or VAI" threads....figured i'd give my 2 cents.
    Basically, other than EVH and Yngwie,no other guitarist carries as much influence with me as does Randy. He took techniques that Eddie innovated and fused them with classical sensibilities. Not a clone of Ritchie Blackmore,Uli Roth, or Michael Schenker...although they certianly were doing the classically enhanced rock guitar movement years prior....rather, Randy was another unique voice in that style. Obviously, he borrowed from Eddie....this isnt even arguable. But, that's not a criticism....it's just saying that he did what all guitarists do....he borrowed....or as Bruce Lee would've said...he "absorbed what was useful".
    Now, what did set him apart from the cavalcade of clones was his superb taste and execution of his chops. Unlike many Eddie-wannabees, he really had "it". It's a shame that his vision wasnt fully realized....he was taken from us way too soon. Some say that the path blazed by Yngwie Malmsteen wasnt far from what Randy was heading for....although i personally feel that he would've went in a more acoustic direction. As for Yngwie....again, he's no more a clone of Randy than Randy was a clone of EVH....but some would argue that. I think Malmsteen is the last word in neoclassical rock.....ego aside....he's one true giant on the instrument.
    So....was Randy a EVH clone....no. Did he take from EVH the way EVH took from Allan Holdsworth....yes. Neither of them are guilty of anything other than being 2 of the best rock players ever.....and, if i must say.....given the choice....it's EVH all the way. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "SIMPLY SAID....GOD IS ED!!!!"

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Randy Rhoads is my favorite guitarist(well he shares the spot with eddie of course), Somthing about the way he playes connects with me in a way. Way underrated and somtimes written off as an Eddie clone or not recognized because he didn't reach superstardom before he died. It is such a shame that a guy who seemed to be so genuinely kind and gifted and with such a promising future in guitar playing was cut short by a tragic accident.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Randy was Awesome , the sounds he got on the first two Ozzy records are classic , listen to "Flying High Again" that riff sounds so fat and overdriven it just kicks ass . What I`ve thought That Ed and Randy always shared was the way they threw in little licks throughout the songs .
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH3... it varies.
    Favorite VH Song

too many to count... I\'m diggin\' Can\'t Get This Stuff No More right now.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the time that I was a real Van Halen fanatic, Rhoads was the only guitarist who could come close to dethroning Eddie on my list of faves. However, since then, I've grown to like Randy better... It's not that fair a comparison between him and EVH, since Eddie's produced a lot more material whereas Randy had barely started to tap into his potential. I've convinced myself that if Randy had lived, he would've far surpassed Eddie by now.
    "The common thing on governments as an institution is: they're all bad worldwide. It might be the only thing that binds all nations together: the incompetence of their governments. Look at the people who have been president in the US so far... could I DO ANY WORSE?"<br /> <br />~ Frank Zappa

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.15.09 @ 04:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't see how someone with at least one functioning ear can accuse Randy Rhodes of being an Eddie "clone". He sounds all together different. Even his tapping is quite a bit different than Eddie's. Randy was great... No doubt about that, but most agree he still wasn't as creative or groundbreaking as Eddie was. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Randy Rhoads was a Beast.I dont hear his music and say to myself "Oh yeah,he's a Eddie Clone",no way because Randy was more into that neoclassical guitar while Eddie was beginning to get into his own "Brown sound".I love them both,i think those two will be forever attached when it comes 80's guitar Gods,two those two already are.
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

5150, 1984, OU812, VH II, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, The Inside, A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those two guys are the KINGS of rock n roll guitar forever PERIOD! I can't imagine my record......well cd collection without them in it. They are the best in my opinion
    Know Ralph<br />Know Van Halen<br /><br />No Ralph<br />No Van Halen

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The day Eddie Van Halen can write a piece of music like Diary of a Madman (the song) or Tonight will be the day he can be compared to Randy Rhoads as a writer.

Randy was obviously a student of music theory, where Eddie was happy to bang simple chords together when tunes weren't structured around riffs.

Comparing the two as soloists, obviously Eddie created a larger arsenal of tools than Randy did, but Randy used his tools more effectively. All of his solos are pretty creative and different in terms of approach and technique.

From the Beat It solo going foreward, Eddie has been content to play most solos follwing the same habitual approach.

Eddie is technically gifted to be sure, but he's never been in the class of the famous guitarists who stretched the instrument as writers.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by famac@nuveen.com:
    The day Eddie Van Halen can write a piece of music like Diary of a Madman (the song) or Tonight will be the day he can be compared to Randy Rhoads as a writer.

Randy was obviously a student of music theory, where Eddie was happy to bang simple chords together when tunes weren't structured around riffs.

Comparing the two as soloists, obviously Eddie created a larger arsenal of tools than Randy did, but Randy used his tools more effectively. All of his solos are pretty creative and different in terms of approach and technique.

From the Beat It solo going foreward, Eddie has been content to play most solos follwing the same habitual approach.

Eddie is technically gifted to be sure, but he's never been in the class of the famous guitarists who stretched the instrument as writers.
    Puhleeeze. I love Randy's playing as much as anyone, but to say Eddie can't hold a handle to him as a writer is patently wrong. With compositions like Cathedral, Right Now, 1984, Crossing Over, Once, etc. EVH has more than amply demonstrated his ability to write complex music outside the bounds of standard three chord rockers.

And throwing every solo since Beat It into the same category? Not only does this discount his landbreaking work prior to then, it fails to recognize the extreme tonal and phrasing diversity of his later work. Listen to the lyrical simplicity of the break in Dreams, or the multi-string tapping in Judgement Day, or the amazingly tasteful Beckish volume swells on Can't Stop Loving You, or the sheer emotion of Year to the Day, and then try to tell me that he's been playing the same solo since Beat It.

For what it's worth, after singlehandedly revolutionizing the modern lick vocabulary with the debut VH album, he followed it up with his groundbreaking use of tap harmonics and pickslide trills on VH 2, not too mention his debut on the acoustic. Where was the continuing evolution in Randy's playing between Blizzard and Diary?
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Crazy from the Hemp:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by famac@nuveen.com:

Puhleeeze. I love Randy's playing as much as anyone, but to say Eddie can't hold a handle to him as a writer is patently wrong. With compositions like Cathedral, Right Now, 1984, Crossing Over, Once, etc. EVH has more than amply demonstrated his ability to write complex music outside the bounds of standard three chord rockers.

And throwing every solo since Beat It into the same category? Not only does this discount his landbreaking work prior to then, it fails to recognize the extreme tonal and phrasing diversity of his later work. Listen to the lyrical simplicity of the break in Dreams, or the multi-string tapping in Judgement Day, or the amazingly tasteful Beckish volume swells on Can't Stop Loving You, or the sheer emotion of Year to the Day, and then try to tell me that he's been playing the same solo since Beat It.

For what it's worth, after singlehandedly revolutionizing the modern lick vocabulary with the debut VH album, he followed it up with his groundbreaking use of tap harmonics and pickslide trills on VH 2, not too mention his debut on the acoustic. Where was the continuing evolution in Randy's playing between Blizzard and Diary?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I partially agree with Famac... Listen to Ed's technical merits, and you'll hear a great deal or repetition throughout the various albums. Of course he played different riffs, but the structure is predominantly his infamous scalability.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Plus Eddie never wrote a kicking riff like the one Randy plays before his solo in Diary of a Madman.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    I partially agree with Famac... Listen to Ed's technical merits, and you'll hear a great deal or repetition throughout the various albums. Of course he played different riffs, but the structure is predominantly his infamous scalability.
    The only reason Randy didn't become repetitive was because he wasn't around long enough. Given time, he would have, just like Eddie supposedly has.
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by famac@nuveen.com:
    Plus Eddie never wrote a kicking riff like the one Randy plays before his solo in Diary of a Madman.
    I'm more concerned with the hundreds of incredible riffs he did write, not the single one that he didn't. So, now we're criticizing the greatest guitarist ever because he didn't write every single great riff that's ever existed? To be fair, I don't think Ed could've beat Hendrix to Little Wing, he was still playing piano at the time. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

First 6
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by BAM5150:
    I've convinced myself that if Randy had lived, he would've far surpassed Eddie by now.
    No doubt about that! I really think Edwards playing has regressed sinse '85. Granted there have been some really good moments sinse.

But the reason I fell in love with Edwards playing was because of the ass kicking, rude, hell bent and dedicated type playing he was doing prior to '85. I mean the guy just flat out ruled on the instrument.

Now (generally), Edwards playing is very polite and the sheer dominating beligerance is all but gone.

I think Rhoads would have kept stretching the boundaries, constantly spilling over into different styles and techniques. From his interviews and playing, it was clear he intended on being a life long student.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I would have to say Randy was a great player, but all he really did was take Eddie's shtick and throw a classical twist to it, it commen sense through interviews from Guitar mags, that the only modern day guitar player he ever spoke of was Eddie, however having said that I think Jake E Lee is 10 times the player Rhoads was, he couldn't touch him in rythym playing, and check out Jake live via Badlands or Ozzy, lead playing is far more structured..I feel that Jake and Warren DiMartini would put Rhoads to shame, but hey they didn't did a tragic death..
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3