Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know there are alot of Dave over Sammy fans out there who'll think I don't know what I'm talking about after they read this, but after last night's show in Charlotte, DLR is definitely not the answer for VH, in my opinion.
    This isn't a review of the show- although I did post one under that topic. It's about an attitude. Dave needs to be Dave- it's what he's good at... Hell, it's what he's BEST at! It's what people want to see or hear when they go to a DLR show or pop in one of his CDs. But it's not what would work in Van Halen- not anymore. I don't even know why it's even a dispute anymore-it was proven in 1996- and the whole thing pissed me off as much as anyone. What dave needs to do is get back together with Vai and Sheehan, hold onto his ego, write some REALLY good music again and put on a phenominal show. Actually, the stuff on DLR Band was solid- I would personally just really like to see Vai and Sheehan team up with Dave again- it's a great show!
    Sammy, has a really great thing going on right now with the Waboritas. They put on a fantastic show, they've recorded some very solid music and I think the more people Sammy reaches,on this tour for example, he's gonna keep getting bigger and better. Before this tour, I wouldn't have considered going out of my way to see a Sammy show- and I haven't bought any of his CDs since the break up. (This will change as of today.) Now, I won't miss another Sammy show that's w/in 3 or 5 hours of me. It's just pure fun! And that's what I think VH can be if Sammy and Ed can kiss and make up. Sammy has something that eludes Dave- CHARISMA. He likes people more than himself and it shows in his music and performance.
    And for those of you who've had the pleasure of seeing Mikey join Sammy on stage for a good 1/2 of the set- maybe you know what i'm talking about. Mikey looked so FUCKING happy! And it was great to see him having fun up there. But my friends and i asked ourselves- why didn't Mike play a few songs with Dave as well? I think part of the reason, is that Dave wants all the attention. Dave is Dave... and he's NOT about Van Halen the band, he's about him... hence 1996's fiasco.
    My favorite part of the show was when Sammy told the story of how he and Ed wrote "Finish...", it may have been bullshit, but warm words were spoken. I think that relationship, professional and personal can be saved. I think at the time of the break up Sammy probably WAS feeling frustrated and looking to do something that wasn't Van Halen- remember he was a solo artist for a long time B4 VH. I think the timing was shitty and Ed was pissed about it... whatever. I think it's time to let it go. I don't think Sammy would give up the Waboritas- and I don't think he should, were he to get back with VH. And i think that is something Ed would have to accept- that between albums Sam's gonna do his own thing.
    Okay- enough of my rambling. Whatever happens, I just hope it happens soon. I need some fuckin' VH! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    "One thing about Eddie... when he has a guitar around his neck, he's not tryin' to bullshit anybody..." - Sammy Hagar, 2002

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Say what you want, but the truth is, if they want guaranteed success and to be able to sell albums and shows, they need Dave. Especially at this point in their carrer and after 4 years of laying low, and at the age that the guys are now its just time. I dont think they could do that with Sammy at this point. And the way music is today, i just dont think it would be accepted as well as a reunion of the origional Van Halen.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by VHwasCoolestWithDLR:
    if they want guaranteed success and to be able to sell albums and shows, they need Dave.
    I agree with that, but at the same time I don't want the band to make a decision on that basis. There has to be some purity in there somewhere, where it's not entirely about what will sell records or concert tickets. Frankly, when you get into discussing those things before the parties have even gotten together, that's the textbook definition of selling out.

Interesting take in the original post. We try to keep these types of topics in the Opinions Forum, so I'm going to send it there now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Glenn:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by VHwasCoolestWithDLR:
    if they want guaranteed success and to be able to sell albums and shows, they need Dave.
    I agree with that, but at the same time I don't want the band to make a decision on that basis. There has to be some purity in there somewhere, where it's not entirely about what will sell records or concert tickets. Frankly, when you get into discussing those things before the parties have even gotten together, that's the textbook definition of selling out.

Interesting take in the original post. We try to keep these types of topics in the Opinions Forum, so I'm going to send it there now. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Glenn it would be wonderful if they did it becasue they both want to make kick ass rock n roll together, and are finally on the same page!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:34 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Originally posted by 4Leaf:
    Sammy has something that eludes Dave- CHARISMA.

Don't you mean, "Chee-risma"?

Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

Finish What ya started
    Last Online

07.24.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Leaf...I couldnt agree with you more...There wasnt a single thing you said that wasnt true...
    Vai and Sheehan are a much better match for Daves outlandishness ...I just hope he didnt annoy them so much when they quit his band before that they wont consider it now...
    VH should be more about the fans and fun...not about a Vegas show starring Dave...and Sam delivers on that....
    one more thing...I'm sick of you "cheese" heads...
    What was California girls all about? and it seems to me that VH did a lot more cover tunes with Dave (which EVH hated) maybe so Dave wouldnt have to write so much ??? I'm with Ed on the cover tunes...Pretty Woman was ok...you really got me rocked...No good was cool they way they did it...
    But dancin in the streets? God...thats really the only VH song I could ever honestly say I can get sick of hearing....
    Back to Leaf...I loved the whole finish what ya started story too...thats another dimention Sam adds that dave lacks...the ability to talk to the audience...Sam makes you feel like he just met you at the door, shook your hand, got you a seat on the couch , and handed you a beer ...all the while smiling at you...he makes you feel like he's really happy you came to the show...he emits energy that the people just absorb...
    Dave...on the other hand....soaks up adoration like a sponge...and then rises off the stage 3 feet above everyone else and lets you know you belong 3 feet below him...sure..he might meet you at the door with a handshake...only to have a whipping boy to make himself feel better....
    whew...talking about rambling...sorry....
    anyway Leaf...you hit it on the head....thanx man
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Kev
    keVH

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by kevohman:
    Leaf...I couldnt agree with you more...There wasnt a single thing you said that wasnt true...
    Vai and Sheehan are a much better match for Daves outlandishness ...I just hope he didnt annoy them so much when they quit his band before that they wont consider it now...
    VH should be more about the fans and fun...not about a Vegas show starring Dave...and Sam delivers on that....
    one more thing...I'm sick of you "cheese" heads...
    What was California girls all about? and it seems to me that VH did a lot more cover tunes with Dave (which EVH hated) maybe so Dave wouldnt have to write so much ??? I'm with Ed on the cover tunes...Pretty Woman was ok...you really got me rocked...No good was cool they way they did it...
    But dancin in the streets? God...thats really the only VH song I could ever honestly say I can get sick of hearing....
    Back to Leaf...I loved the whole finish what ya started story too...thats another dimention Sam adds that dave lacks...the ability to talk to the audience...Sam makes you feel like he just met you at the door, shook your hand, got you a seat on the couch , and handed you a beer ...all the while smiling at you...he makes you feel like he's really happy you came to the show...he emits energy that the people just absorb...
    Dave...on the other hand....soaks up adoration like a sponge...and then rises off the stage 3 feet above everyone else and lets you know you belong 3 feet below him...sure..he might meet you at the door with a handshake...only to have a whipping boy to make himself feel better....
    whew...talking about rambling...sorry....
    anyway Leaf...you hit it on the head....thanx man
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Kev
    Dave has always talked to the audience. the only reason that he didnt on this tour was because he wanted to give the fans what they wanted and cram as many VH tunes in their as possible. I like that. I went to the show in Dallas and I was wanting Sammy to shut the hell up and play something. I wasnt their for sammy to meet me at the door and shake my hand. I was their to hear music, not talking. Whats wrong with soaking up adoration? if u were up there u would soak it all up, i know i would. So anyway dont give me any of the dave isnt good for VH thing. Dave has always been the best option for VH and his show was great so I see no problem at all with him fronting the band.
    Lets Hope VH gets some Sensible Shoes that lead them back to Dave.

Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

Finish What ya started
    Last Online

07.24.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Dave back in '83 with VH...and in '88 on his own...(I think it was 88? hmmm) and I just saw the sam and dave show in Washington...
    Yeah, in the past Dave talked during the shows...Talked down....
    I cant help it...I hate big egos that get off on making fans look bad when we paid to see him...
    I bet Sammy high fives more fans during a show than Dave even looks at..

Kev
    keVH

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

If I want to hear someone talkin' between each song telling me how they wrote it, I'll go to writer's night at the local coffee house [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BULLSHIT. If Dave were the one doing all the talking, you would have been praising him for letting the fans in on how the story went.

AND if Sammy were the one to have no interaction with the fans, you would be saying what an asshole he is for not acknowledging the crowd.

Let's face it. To each is own.

If I want to listen to only the music, I can burn a CD of my favorite VH tunes.

When I go to a show, it's because I want to be entertained and have a good time. After all, isn't that what Van Halen is about?

Per Eddie Van Halen:
    "Making a record is more or less a vehicle of an excuse for us to go out on tour and throw a party." Circa 1991. You Go Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What is understood, need not be discussed.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Damn, we just love to find angles to criticize don't we? It all comes down to bias and which side you want to argue, truth be damned.

I'll bet the same people that think it's great that Dave is all music/no tricks on this tour and that Sammy is embarressing himself with pinatas etc would tell you that Dave's surfboard and boxing ring stuff was cool as shit in the late 80's! And they'd say Sammy talks too much onstage but then would tell you how cool it was at the US Festival when Dave stopped the music for several minutes so he could wave his arm and drink Jack Daniels.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    Damn, we just love to find angles to criticize don't we? It all comes down to bias and which side you want to argue, truth be damned.

I'll bet the same people that think it's great that Dave is all music/no tricks on this tour and that Sammy is embarressing himself with pinatas etc would tell you that Dave's surfboard and boxing ring stuff was cool as shit in the late 80's! And they'd say Sammy talks too much onstage but then would tell you how cool it was at the US Festival when Dave stopped the music for several minutes so he could wave his arm and drink Jack Daniels.
    I was watching a video of Ice Cream man video at the US Fest. 83' and Dave messed around for like 4 minutes. 2 before the song and two after and I fastfowarded that shit. i really dont want to hear either of them talking. Im paying to hear them play songs and I want to hear as many as possible.
    Lets Hope VH gets some Sensible Shoes that lead them back to Dave.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:34 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

I don't care if Dave sings, stops to talk to the audience, slugs down some JD, or not. I don't care if he forgets a few words, goes flat for a verse, etc... It doesn't matter to me. What does matter to me is the recorded work, which song for song, pisses all over the 86-96 years. I would like at least 1 more complete Van Halen CD, with the original lineup. If they want to get Hagar back after that, so be it. That I don't give a shit about.

Being a fan of Classic Van Halen means never having to justify your musical taste!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

David Lee Roth is in the category of Rubiks Cube, Atari and smurfs. Big in their 80's days and laughable now. This guy has no voice. The only time I EVER want to see Van Halen on the stage with him is during their induction ceremony to the RNR Hall of Fame. I think Sammy is their last branch of musical credibility and success. The man has proved it on his tour with Dave. ( The majority of the fan reviews sway in Sammy's favor. Read them.) Dave, thanks for the memories. Edward, get Sammy's musical talent back and create what you had even during the grunge era. Number one albums, platinum success and sell outs in every venue. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Face it, if Sam got back together with VH, it would not be front page news. On these boards it would, not to the main public though. Whenever I hear musicians talking about the current state of VH, they say they need to get Dave back, the Sammy era has run its course, don't need to see that reunion.