Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...If only Dave lay to rest his 1980's rock 'n roll party animal persona.

At first, I had grandious visions of a DLR/VH reunion, complete with red striped guitars, multi-colored spandex, Jack Daniels, and scantily clad chicks. Now I realize just how stupid that might look in 2002. Those were good damn times, but it's time to move on...

Contrary to what a lot of Dave-haters think, he is a very intelligent, articulate, well read guy. I saw glimpses of that in his book, plus l've heard a number of interviews of him, where the main topics were neither Van Halen or rock 'n roll. He's always has an interesting & entertaining take on the world...I just think he's a great story teller! What I'm gettin' at is if this guy got back with Van Halen, and applied himself I could see them puttin' out some great music that was both progressive and thought provoking. Aside from the typical party-on stuff, I think Dave is capable of writing songs, which tackle contemporary issues & themes, without sacrifising his own unimitable, tongue 'n cheek lyrical style. Unlike a lot of bands, I think these guys could pull it off without being overly pretentious to the point the music is bogged down. I think this the direction, Ed wanted to go and why he butted heads' with Sammy (re: Amsterdam) and later Dave (during the BOV1 studio sessions). Ed kinda got what he wanted with VH3, but ultimately Gary Cherone's lyrics and the bands' chemistry were not up to standards. IMO, this is the direction they should go, if any reunion with Dave is to be successful. So ya see? It doesn't have to be a nostalgic act.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a nice little Utopian fantasy, but really, what has Dave done lately to show any propensity towards fulfilling it? Or any of the guys for that matter? From everything I've seen and heard lately, Dave seems as stuck in his schtick as ever, and everyone else seems to be just as mired in their own self-defeating, puerile Peter Pan syndromes as well.

The real question is will any of these middle-aged adolescents EVER grow up?

Don't hold your breath...

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I hate that word nostalgia. It is as annoying as Lead Singer Disease or cover tunes whining.

Diamond David Lee Roth is capable of keepin' one foot in the past an' another high-kickin' and Texas two-steppin' into the moment and up into tha future...juzz like ol' time Howlin' Wolf, perfectly capable of vettin' up an ol' tune or cookin' up a new ditty...would somebody please tell me what diddy wah diddy means?????? Well well well...yez YEAH!!!.... [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.29.16 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I agree. I don't understand the whole angle Eddie has taken regarding a Roth reunion as pure nostalgia. I don't think the two new "Best of..." tracks weren't blatantly retro. The only times DLR has blatantly done the nostalgia trip are his tours since '99, perhaps "DLR Band," and maybe certain elements from the "A Little Ain't Enough" era.

Dave is trapped with a large segment of the fans. If he tries doing something different ("...Filthy...", Vegas, "Skyscraper," soundtrack for "No Holds Bar'B'Q") some people say it sucks. If he does hard rock, some say he's washed up and stuck in the 80s. He can't win. Even EVH supposedly expressed envy at Dave for being able to try different things artistically when they temporarily reconciled in '96.

This current roadshow is about nostalgia, pleasing the VH fans, and keeping that music alive...no one else is doing it aside from some tribute bands. And that will always be part of his show...it has to be. But no one should discredit his ability to help guide VH's new music.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.29.16 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Another thing I find funny is the opinion that Hagar is this wholly original songwriter that would be just the thing for VH again. C'mon...rewrites of 30 year old Gary Glitter songs? No mas...

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Mambo Slammer Casalad:
    Another thing I find funny is the opinion that Hagar is this wholly original songwriter that would be just the thing for VH again. C'mon...rewrites of 30 year old Gary Glitter songs? No mas...
    On Ten 13 Sammy showed that he can still write great songs. Let Sally Drive, Tropic Of Capricorn, Serious Juju, and The Message are just a few. If you haven't checked out Ten 13 yet, I reccommend it.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.01.15 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I listen to Ten 13 on a regular rotation. I have thought many times that the lyrics are dead on fantastic. Only on a few songs do I feel that the work was finished. These songs sound like they should have been recorded by VH in many cases.
    As far as what VH could do with Roth at the helm may never be known. If the reports are true that DLR and VH have tried to make things work then I have to believe that some of the problem in the bands eyes is that Roth has some serious shortcomings. This is speculation, but what else could it be. If Roth could put together enough quality material for a full recording he would have done so by now. I would speculate that his writing style is not what the brothers are looking for. On the other hand it could be that his vocal range is not where it needs to be.

KR
    If it will rock we will roll.