Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN I
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

solo albums selling well. Honestly. Now, I am speaking of Sammy in this thread. Dave's is selling like shit as well but this is about Sammy.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

W.T.F...I might as well bite.

Sammy Hagar has outsold David Lee Roth AND Van Halen since the '96 Fiasco.

Do the math!

VDIII- 500,000 copies
    DLR Greatest Hits- 100,000 copies
    DLR Band- 50,000 copies
    ------------------------
    Total- 650,000

Sammy-
    Marching to Mars- 350,000 copies
    Red Voodoo- 250,000 copies
    Ten/13- 100,000 copies
    ------------------------
    Total- 700,000

So why don't you lay off already?
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

Thanks for the stats. VH and DLR seperately are okay. Put them together and you get musical chemistry that should be on the Periodic Table of Elements.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Samm's albums aren't selling well because they don't get pushed. Ten13 is a good example of this. Red Voodoo outsold it, but Ten13 is much better album.

There's no marketing channel left for Sammy or Dave.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

For someone with the username "Sammy Who?", you sure pay a lot of attention to him.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by THE MARD:
    W.T.F...I might as well bite.

Sammy Hagar has outsold David Lee Roth AND Van Halen since the '96 Fiasco.

Do the math!

VDIII- 500,000 copies
    DLR Greatest Hits- 100,000 copies
    DLR Band- 50,000 copies
    ------------------------
    Total- 650,000

Sammy-
    Marching to Mars- 350,000 copies
    Red Voodoo- 250,000 copies
    Ten/13- 100,000 copies
    ------------------------
    Total- 700,000

So why don't you lay off already?
    I think the most telling thing about these numbers are that the total sales of six albums don't even come close to the numbers for the lowest selling VH album with Dave or Sammy.
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    For someone with the username "Sammy Who?", you sure pay a lot of attention to him.
    My thoughts exactly, GS! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

Originally posted by MikeL:
    Samm's albums aren't selling well because they don't get pushed. Ten13 is a good example of this. Red Voodoo outsold it, but Ten13 is much better album.

Well, I think there is, but it's just not used. I don't know why, but it seems as if classic rock stations do not play newer albums by classic artists! Makes no sense, if Sammy's "55", "Heavy Metal" or "One Way To Rock" are good enough to play, then why isn't something from his newer albums? That goes for a lot of acts. I think "Stiff Upper Lip" got a few spins from AC/DC, but that's about it - now it's back to "Back In Black", "TNT" and "You Shook Me". As great as the new U2 is, on a twofer Tuesday, you will not hear "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" back to back with "Stuck In A Moment" or "Walk On". Fortunately, probably partly because they were always considered an "alternative" band (hah!) there's more a place for them on the new music stations than someone like Sammy who is considered just a basic rocker. Radio is stupid.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by MikeL:

The very same reason all of Dave's releases haven't sold well since 1994's YFLM. Dave also get's no push...Sammy got some push for Marching To Mars, BTW I saw Little White Lies on MTVX the other day, I like that song...I think I like more Sam solo tunes than him with VH...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by billy007:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeL:

Well, I think there is, but it's just not used. I don't know why, but it seems as if classic rock stations do not play newer albums by classic artists! Makes no sense, if Sammy's "55", "Heavy Metal" or "One Way To Rock" are good enough to play, then why isn't something from his newer albums? That goes for a lot of acts. I think "Stiff Upper Lip" got a few spins from AC/DC, but that's about it - now it's back to "Back In Black", "TNT" and "You Shook Me". As great as the new U2 is, on a twofer Tuesday, you will not hear "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" back to back with "Stuck In A Moment" or "Walk On". Fortunately, probably partly because they were always considered an "alternative" band (hah!) there's more a place for them on the new music stations than someone like Sammy who is considered just a basic rocker. Radio is stupid.</font>[/QUOTE]You can blame this on Clear Channel Ent, and Infinity Broadcasting(Owned by Viacom)...They pretty much own ALL of the MAJOR radio stations in all of the major markets in the USA. The playlists are all computerized, and they purposely are more interested in pushing new music, and playing the OLD music that sold well...

http://www.viacom.com/prodbyunit1.tin?ixBusUnit=5000021

http://www.clearchannel.com/main.html

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/200...clear_channel/

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by billy007:
    Well, I think there is, but it's just not used. I don't know why, but it seems as if classic rock stations do not play newer albums by classic artists! Makes no sense, if Sammy's "55", "Heavy Metal" or "One Way To Rock" are good enough to play, then why isn't something from his newer albums?
    Because people don't instantly recognize it. Classic rock's format is built on listener's knowing the songs they're hearing. They want to grab the station-hoppers, and keep the rest because of familiarity. To them classic rock isn't a living genre of music, it's a term for nostalgia and comfort with the material.

There really isn't a mass-media outlet that caters to established artists whos' type of music has gone out of style. Not in rock and roll, anyway. Blame it on program directors, or consolidation in the radio industry, or whatever else. Cabo Kid could give us a better perspective on it.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    The very same reason all of Dave's releases haven't sold well since 1994's YFLM. Dave also get's no push...Sammy got some push for Marching To Mars
    Sammy and Dave are alike in a lot of ways. Want to do something funny? Call up your local country music station and tell them you've got a Travis Tritt song they've never heard before. I'm not sure why I just typed that. Oh well. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sammy did get some push for MtM. The video was playing often on MTV, and got decent radio play. The album sold well. Red Voodoo was a little different. Mas Tequila was relegated to VH1. It didn't sell as well. Ten13 is probably a better album than MtM in some respects, but they couldn't get it pushed. It's funny, because Sammy signed with Beyond because they said they could push it.

Sam made a lot of marketing mistakes with Ten13. Bad choices for the released songs, and a bad decision to put the whole album on Napster well before its release.

Dave should have had a huge hit with ALAE. Marketing blunders killed that one.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

05.08.08 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeL:

The very same reason all of Dave's releases haven't sold well since 1994's YFLM. Dave also get's no push...Sammy got some push for Marching To Mars, BTW I saw Little White Lies on MTVX the other day, I like that song...I think I like more Sam solo tunes than him with VH...</font>[/QUOTE]Lol! I would have never guessed that you were less than crazy about SH with VH!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know, the sad thing is, radio in Cincinnati is basically divided among three things:

Clear Channel Stations (WEBN, Kiss, Mix, the Fox)
    Infinity Stations (Q102, Channel Z, Oldies)
    Educational stations (WHHS, WVXU, etc).

The only station that I saw Let Sally Drive in as part of the playlist (in low rotation) was the station operated by Hamilton High School.

There just isn't a market for older acts. Realistically, if Sammy wants Planet Us to get off the ground commercially he needs lots of Soundtrack and Commercial connections so people actually HEAR the songs.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always liked Sammy. I just don't like him in VH. I don't like anyone singing for VH except Dave. Now I know Dave left in 85, so what were they supposed to do? Fold up the tents? No. They had to get another singer and it looks like Sammy worked out just fine. I just prefer Sammy solo. I have a few Sammy solo CD's and his greatest hits album. I've always felt his best stuff was done solo.

I can't stand Mas Tequila though. It sounds like a pep rally song. Makes you feel like you're watching a basketball game or something.