Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I want to carry this discussion further...this started in Entertainment news thread...

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Stuff No More:

Van Halen will be elligible. Van Halen includes all recordings from 1978 to the present and all members that have ever been a part of the band.

EVERYTHING will be recognized for induction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, what I am saying is that when these people vote on it, they will be considering the era that was the most historical and affective on Rock N Roll history....

again, do you think that these people will be considering the POST Ozzy eraS of Black Sabbath when it comes to inducting them? No...Ozzy was the one who was the most vocal about turning down the invitation to be inducted into the RNRHOF...

Hell Tony Martin sang on 7 Sabbath albums...

and except for a seven month stint w/Dio in 91-92, Martin was in the band from 1987 unitl Ozzy returned....hell technically Sabbath have had 9 vocalists, and all together 28 members in the group...

[ December 18, 2001 at 12:03 PM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't think there's any question that VH did their most groundbreaking work in their earliest days. That's usually how it is. But I think all the guys deserve to be included. I look at it this way; what VH really impacted was guitar playing and (to a lesser extent) the art of being a frontman. But they did those things right off the bat, in 1978. Though the additional years have only helped to secure it, the legend would have been valid if Eddie had died after creating Eruption.

There's great music on DD and 1984, but they aren't groundbreaking albums when put up to the earlier albums. So is VH only recognized from 78-81??? No, even though those last two may not be as groundbreaking, they still belong in the package, as do all the subsequent albums, and the singers.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

You know, I've started to wonder if those assholes who used to be a band are waiting for the hall of fame thing to emerge from their compound.

Seriously, that has the potential to be one of the most... interesting moments in rock and roll history.

As for what eras they're electing, I think you have to look at the entire body of work. In the end, that's what they'll be judged by. It's always that way for artists.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, FWYS
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do not know what s going to happen with VH, but here is some historical perspective as it pertains to the Rock hall.

Fleetwood Mac was inducted last year. I am not a big fan of this band, but I believe they were around in the late 60's with some different members. However they were not inducted until a year or two ago, because they were only inducted the "classic" Fleetwood Mac lineup, which came together in the mid 70's. This was done to satisfy the 25 year requirement the Rock hall has. So in the case of Fleetwood Mac, only Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, and John and Christine McVie are in the hall. Not the other 68 people who have been in and out of that band before and after the classic line up.

Here is another example. Two years ago Springsteen was inducted without the E-Street Band. This upset some people, the technical explanation was it had not been 25 years since a Bruce Springsteen and The E Street album. However if the band wants to make a stink about excluding members they can get around this. In the article about Springsteen there was a reference to the 1989 induction of the Rolling Stones. The rock hall only wanted to induct the original line up because of the 25 year rule. This would have excluded Mick Taylor (1969-74) and Ronnie Wood(75-present). The Stones told them to forget about the whole thing unless they were going to induct everybody. The Rock Hall conceded to the Stones. What does this mean? Well I dont think Gary Cherone has a chance. Now if DLR is back in VH when they are inducted, I think that means Sammy Hagar is not going in either. Is Van Halen going to go out of their way to make sure Hagar is included? Maybe, maybe not.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dog:
    I do not know what s going to happen with VH, but here is some historical perspective as it pertains to the Rock hall.

Fleetwood Mac was inducted last year. I am not a big fan of this band, but I believe they were around in the late 60's with some different members. However they were not inducted until a year or two ago, because they were only inducted the "classic" Fleetwood Mac lineup, which came together in the mid 70's. This was done to satisfy the 25 year requirement the Rock hall has. So in the case of Fleetwood Mac, only Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, and John and Christine McVie are in the hall. Not the other 68 people who have been in and out of that band before and after the classic line up.

Here is another example. Two years ago Springsteen was inducted without the E-Street Band. This upset some people, the technical explanation was it had not been 25 years since a Bruce Springsteen and The E Street album. However if the band wants to make a stink about excluding members they can get around this. In the article about Springsteen there was a reference to the 1989 induction of the Rolling Stones. The rock hall only wanted to induct the original line up because of the 25 year rule. This would have excluded Mick Taylor (1969-74) and Ronnie Wood(75-present). The Stones told them to forget about the whole thing unless they were going to induct everybody. The Rock Hall conceded to the Stones. What does this mean? Well I dont think Gary Cherone has a chance. Now if DLR is back in VH when they are inducted, I think that means Sammy Hagar is not going in either. Is Van Halen going to go out of their way to make sure Hagar is included? Maybe, maybe not.
    <hr></blockquote>

This is EXACTYLY the kind of thing I am talking about, especially something like Fleetwood Mac...the band existed for many years and was formed in 1967, remeber Peter Green???? The first album was released in 1968 or 69. They had a total of 16 members, and Buckingham and Nicks DID NOT JOIN FLEETWOOD MAC UNTIL 1975!!!!!!!!

Realistically their biggest impact on music history and rock n roll is the classic lineup of Nicks, Fleetwood, John and Chritie McVie, and Buckingham.......the lineup inducted...

My original point is that the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame looks at the era of band that had it's largest INFLUENCE and IMPACT on ROCK N ROLL(Black Sabbth being a perfect example), and the importance of the artist or band historically speaking to ROCK N ROLL. Also numbers don't necessarily matter, since the RAMONES never sold huge amounts of records, but their INFLUNECE and IMPORTANCE TO ROCK is immeeasurable(The first recorded and released PUNK album(although some might argue The Stooges were the first).....Obviously the era of VH being inducted, and the reason for the consideration of induction would be the DLR era of VAN HALEN.....

Now groups can argure to induct who they want I guess, with the Stones being a prime example. I also heard that The Grateful Dead made sure all of it's members were inducted also....So I guess it's up to the artists being inducted, if they want to include other members of their band or group...that weren't or aren't apart of the most influencial legacy of the groups history...

So we shall see, I bet Dave wouldn't be too happy about Sammy being included(if Eddie, Mike, and Alex want him to be apart of it)

Also, I have heard about the 25 year rule before too....

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ok Factual information regarding Fleetwood Mac...Most of the original members of FM were indeed inducted into the RNRHOF

Inductees: Lindsay Buckingham (guitar, vocals; born 10/3/47), Mick Fleetwood (drums; born 6/24/47); Peter Green (guitar, vocals; born 10/29/46), Danny Kirwan (guitar, vocals; born 5/13/50); John McVie (bass; born 11/26/45), Christine McVie (keyboards, vocals; born 7/12/43), Stevie Nicks (vocals; born 5/26/48); Jeremy Spencer (guitar, vocals; born 7/4/48)

rock n roll hall of fame, fleetwood mac

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I was going to piss and moan about the stupidity of only the "classic" line-up of Fleetwood Mac being inducted, but I see Cock has straightened (har ) that out.

I wasn't aware of the hall of fame only wanting the original Stones line-up inducted. If true, that's bullshit too. Every member deserves to be in there.

I hope when the day comes that VH shows enough class to get all six members in there. It would go a long way towards improving their lousy image for infighting and immaturity with one another.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No matter how this sounds, I don't want Gary Cherone inducted with Van Halen. He made no contribution that has anything to do with their induction, he made no giant steps for rock n' roll and cannot be considered the kind of influential member that Dave and Sammy are. If the band decide that he has to be included, fine. But I think it's crazy to have him up on stage accepting his award for his three-year tenure in the band which produced one lousy album that influenced no one and a tour that not that many came to see.

Yes, he was technically a member. So what? If his name has to be on a plaque or something as a member of Van Halen, fine. But the thought of him standing on stage with the other guys just doesn't settle well in my stomach. As much as I'm a Dave-era devotee, the thought of Dave and Sam on stage together accepting the award cracks me up. The thought of them both jamming together afterwards is also fun. Gary standing there in his ballet suit and trying to get a few off-key notes...no. That doesn't sound right.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No matter how this sounds, I don't want Gary Cherone inducted with Van Halen. He made no contribution that has anything to do with their induction, he made no giant steps for rock n' roll and cannot be considered the kind of influential member that Dave and Sammy are. If the band decide that he has to be included, fine. But I think it's crazy to have him up on stage accepting his award for his three-year tenure in the band which produced one lousy album that influenced no one and a tour that not that many came to see.

Yes, he was technically a member. So what? If his name has to be on a plaque or something as a member of Van Halen, fine. But the thought of him standing on stage with the other guys just doesn't settle well in my stomach. As much as I'm a Dave-era devotee, the thought of Dave and Sam on stage together accepting the award cracks me up. The thought of them both jamming together afterwards is also fun. Gary standing there in his ballet suit and trying to get a few off-key notes...no. That doesn't sound right.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Yeah Rikk, but the hall of fame is a joke anyway. How many artists TRULY changed the face of rock and roll? Probably not too damn many. Would music history be any different if Fleetwood Mac had never existed. I doubt it, so why are they in the hall? And there's dozens of artists that are the same; good music, but not really important to changing rock.

Rock was really only revolutionary for a short period of time; you can only invent the wheel once, then you're just doing what's been done before, with a different bow on top.

I see your point about Gary being around for a short time, and having a small input, but they still invite the kids to family reunions.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whoops, send that twice. Sorry.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Is there some creed that artists had to change the face of rock 'n roll to be in the hall of fame? I just thought it was supposed to be a place to honour really good bands, just as sports hall of fames honour really good players, not just those that changed the face of their respective sports.

Anyway, if Edward's the one calling the shots when they get elected it's likely to be just he, Alex and Mike included, and Mike's probably pretty iffy, too!

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by billy007:
    Is there some creed that artists had to change the face of rock 'n roll to be in the hall of fame?<hr></blockquote>The official Hall of Fame site says;

Performers
    Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist’s contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

I interpret that to mean it's more than just a matter of being a decent band that justifies entrance.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Glenn:
    I was going to piss and moan about the stupidity of only the "classic" line-up of Fleetwood Mac being inducted, but I see Cock has straightened (har ) that out.

I wasn't aware of the hall of fame only wanting the original Stones line-up inducted. If true, that's bullshit too. Every member deserves to be in there.

I hope when the day comes that VH shows enough class to get all six members in there. It would go a long way towards improving their lousy image for infighting and immaturity with one another.
    <hr></blockquote>

Yes Glenn but there are members of Fleetwood Mac that were not inducted that DID record with FM.

Also, CJ Ramone who recorded on every Ramones album since 89/90 and toured with them since then till they retired IS NOT BEING INDUCTED...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rikk:

<hr></blockquote>

Hmmmm here's the deal, did anyone see the RNRHAF w/ Fleetwood Mac? Did Peter Green and others actually go on stage, I don't think they did...anyone wanna explain...

Also, there are other members of Aerosmith(2 actuall) who recorded w/ Aerosmith AND WERE NOT INDUCTED.....

thoughts??