Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sick of hearing about how Dave can't sing anymore. Anyone who claims this obviously hasn't seen Dave live, or just likes to bash him.

I saw Dave last summer playing all VH songs and guess what? He nailed every single song perfectly. He sounded awesome. The only difference between him in 2001 and 1984 was the scream is almost gone. The screams are few and far between, but when he did scream he hit those too.

I think most people that say Dave can't sing anymore are the people who listen to his latest songs where he is trying to sing too damn high. I have no idea why he chooses to try and sing outside his range, but I'll admit he doesn't sound good when he does it. When he stays in his range I.E. "Beautiful Girls" he still sounds great.

Anyway, I'm tired of all the know it alls here that have written Dave's voice off. His voice is still there. His judgement may be impaired, (Trying to sing too high, bleaching his hair etc...) but his voice is still there. He just needs to get back to singing in his range again.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's where you're wrong.

Dave's voice was NEVER there. ever!

Eddie and Mike had to tune down, in some cases to C#, just so dave could sing his parts.

Everyone's voice deteriorates. I'm sure dave sounds fine now, but I'll bet my left testicle that he sounds no better than he did when he was fronting Van Halen....and I've got enough old VH boots to show that he couldn't hit the notes, remember the lyrics or in some cases even sing the parts.

Alex Van Halen said it best, while during the recording of Me Wise Magic and Cant Get This Stuff....They really had to struggle to get what they did out of Dave.

It's quite easy to make up for a substandard voice in the studio. You have all day to do takes and you can sing parts one line at a time. Something that Dave has done on several Van Halen and Solo recordings....

His voice may be fine now, but fine is a matter of opinion. If it's just as good as it was back in 1981 (which it is clearly NOT by a serious longshot), then he's still a very poor vocalist.

[ March 04, 2002 at 08:27 AM: Message edited by: strangegrey ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave has abused his voice over the years...all that screaming, drinking, smoking, etc. All that stuff does permanant damage to the chords. He should stay away from any notes that require the kind of power that he just does not have anymore.
    When he does that sultry, bluesy thing with his voice he sounds incredible. Damn good.
    And I agree with you, that his mind may be further gone than his voice.
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Im not saying that Dave's voice is as good as it used to be. But he did have a very distinct Rock Voice in his prime! And today it doesn't sound any worse then Roger Daltries does these days (which I think is good).

Hey Strangrey, what the hell song did VH ever record in C, or anywhere near C. I know of one off the top of my head that was in Dropped D (Un-Chained), but nothing in C. Maybe your thinking of Black Sabbath, they did allot in C. They did tune down a half step in most cases though, and sometimes a full step, that's what I heard, but I haven't run across any song's that I want to play that are down a full step, except Un-Chained, which is "Drop-D". Also, FYI, they did the same for Sammy to!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by dj88:
    I'm sick of hearing about how Dave can't sing anymore. Anyone who claims this obviously hasn't seen Dave live, or just likes to bash him.

I saw Dave last summer playing all VH songs and guess what? He nailed every single song perfectly. He sounded awesome. The only difference between him in 2001 and 1984 was the scream is almost gone. The screams are few and far between, but when he did scream he hit those too.

I think most people that say Dave can't sing anymore are the people who listen to his latest songs where he is trying to sing too damn high. I have no idea why he chooses to try and sing outside his range, but I'll admit he doesn't sound good when he does it. When he stays in his range I.E. "Beautiful Girls" he still sounds great.

Anyway, I'm tired of all the know it alls here that have written Dave's voice off. His voice is still there. His judgement may be impaired, (Trying to sing too high, bleaching his hair etc...) but his voice is still there. He just needs to get back to singing in his range again.
    You know what, I have a vidoe of Dave's performance at The Spectrum in Philly from Nov 2001, and his scream is not gone, he was screaming all over the place, doing lot's of high yelps, and screams....they weren't longggggg but they were there, and sounded good...

Dave's voice sounds fine, not quite as good as say 1982, but he sounds good!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by strangegrey:

Eddie and Mike had to tune down, in some cases to C#, just so dave could sing his parts.

Everyone's voice deteriorates. I'm sure dave sounds fine now, but I'll bet my left testicle that he sounds no better than he did when he was fronting Van Halen....and I've got enough old VH boots to show that he couldn't hit the notes, remember the lyrics or in some cases even sing the parts.

Alex Van Halen said it best, while during the recording of Me Wise Magic and Cant Get This Stuff....They really had to struggle to get what they did out of Dave.

It's quite easy to make up for a substandard voice in the studio. You have all day to do takes and you can sing parts one line at a time. Something that Dave has done on several Van Halen and Solo recordings....

His voice may be fine now, but fine is a matter of opinion. If it's just as good as it was back in 1981 (which it is clearly NOT by a serious longshot), then he's still a very poor vocalist.
    yeah C#...

do yourself a favor and go see him live, or don't...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by strangegrey:

What are you talking about? Have you ever listened one of VH's first six albums? Come on, that's like saying Eddie never could play the guitar.
    First of all where did you hear this? Second of all, even if it's true so what? I don't care what key the 1st six VH albums were done in, they sound great that way.
    Everyone's voice deteriorates.
    I'll give you this.
    I'm sure dave sounds fine now, but I'll bet my left testicle that he sounds no better than he did when he was fronting Van Halen....
    You want him to sound better than he did when he was fronting VH and you question Dave's sanity? Sheesh!
    and I've got enough old VH boots to show that he couldn't hit the notes, remember the lyrics or in some cases even sing the parts.
    Yep, sometimes Dave missed a note. Sometimes he even forgot the words. So what? He's human. He's not the first singer to ever miss a note or forget some lyrics. What kind of standard are you trying to hold him to?
    Dave's voice was way out of shape for those songs and yet they're still awesome. He has since obviously trained his voice and it's much better now.
    He's so bad that all six VH albums he was on went multi-platinum right? His vocals are so bad that you never hear any of the Hagar era on the radio anymore just classic VH right? He's such a bad front man that everyone and their mother wants him back with VH right?

Ludicrous. Obviously you just never liked Dave and are content to bash him any chance you get. To say that he was never a good singer is pure horse shit. He may never have been the best singer, but he was the best frontman VH ever had.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

thatslikeaskingwhatmyfavjunkfoodis
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, VANHALENHEADS: I AGREE WITH YOU, WILLY-F-PRES. THERE IS NOT A VAN HALEN SONG RECORDED WITH DAVID LEE ROTH IN THE KEY OF 'C' THAT I CAN RECALL AND I HAVE SPENT YEARS LEARNING THE MAJORITY OF THEM ON GUITAR. HOWEVER IF I AM WRONG SOMEONE ENLIGHTEN ME. ALSO, LET'S FACE IT, VAN HALEN HAS NEVER HAD A REPUTATION FOR LYRICS THAT POSSESS A GREAT QUANTITY OF WISDOM AND ENLIGHTENMENT ESPECIALLY IN THE ROTH ERA. WHAT MADE THEM GREAT WAS NOT ONLY THE KICK ASS LOCOMOTIVE ENGINE OF MUSIC (ED'S GUITAR) BUT THE VISUAL ASPECT OF THE LIVE PERFORMANCE WHICH DAVID DOES SO WELL, IF NOT THE BEST I MIGHT ADD. SO, WHO CARES WHETHER HE CAN HIT THE HIGH NOTES ANYMORE HE'S JUST DAMN ENTERTAINING TO WATCH. I'VE SEEN A GREAT MANY BAND IN MY TIME AND IN MY OPINION THERE ISN'T A FRONTMAN OUT THERE WHO IS MORE EXCITING TO WATCH (the 1984 TOUR and SHOW were incredible) PEACE OUT MY FELLOW HANHALENHEADS, PAUL [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

have they made any recently?
    Favorite VH Song

still waiting
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is 2002 and Dave doesn't sound like Dave of 1982 anymore. Get over it people.
    Robert Plant doesn't sound like he did with Zeppelin, Daltrey either, but at least they are all still playing rock and roll.
    The "classic" rock & roll frontmen sound better at 70% their prime than most newer & younger wannabes do now in their prime.
    You know what?
    Even Sammy doesn't sound the same as he did on 5150 either.

A perfect example is what I saw the other night. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. They can't do it like they used to, (except for Neil) but they adapt. Thats what being a professonal is all about.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never said C...I said C#. That's a half step difference.

and I wasn't refering to recording, I was refering to live.

In several instances, Eddie Van Halen admits to playing 1/2 step down...and then using a drop D tuning down to C#....as a result Michael Anthony had to tune down to C#...

The fact of the matter is, anyone can sing in the studio and sound good...anyone. You can spend 3 weeks working on two verses...but the final outcome is going to be passable, where live it wont.

I was at the spectrum show. The man was vocally, a shadow of his former self.....and his former self was a substandard singer.....

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who cares what key anything is in??? Does it sound good? If so then so what?

Dave was a substandard singer? Whatever. I guess you're entiteled to your opinion even if it is way off base.

One more thing. For every boot you can produce with Dave missing a note I'm sure someone else could provide a boot with Sammy doing the same. People are human and during a live performance everyone will make some mistakes. Even Eddie. To say that Dave's live performance was lacking is absolutely ludicrous. He was simply awesome live.

[ March 04, 2002 at 09:14 AM: Message edited by: dj88 ]</p>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

thatslikeaskingwhatmyfavjunkfoodis
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dear BRETT: YOUR RIGHT. "JUMP" IS IN C MAJOR, I FORGOT. WHEN I THINK OF THAT SONG I ALWAYS THINK OF THE KEYBOARD SOLO WHICH BEGINS IN IN 'G' WITH THE RIGHT HAND. THE BASS HAND ALTERNATES BETWEEN 'C', 'F', 'G' and 'B Flat, " FOR WHATEVER IT'S WORTH. PEACE, APOSTLE PAUL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

Ooops what the hell I meant to edit my post and I deletd it. Good work genius.

Yeah like I said, I thought "Jump" was in "C" and so was "Push Comes To Shove" at my best recollection of the chord progression. I could be wrong.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hey you don't like Dave???? Goodie for you...

to me his vocals kicked ass in VH so much kool; swagger; attitiude; soul; blues; funk; and THE SCREAMS!!! The Low's ah yes!!!!!!

Whatever you wanna say go ahead scream it out!!!! But Dave has one thing MOST don't and that's charisma!!!!

Singers who also don't sound as good as they used too...it happens over time...so what...how about YOU get up there and do it????

Bono
    Robert Plant
    Roger Daltry
    David Lee Roth
    Paul Stanely
    Rob Halford
    Geddy Lee

if you say Dave was a "sub standard" singer; well that is a matter of opinion; but hye I love joey Ramones voice; and I love Geoff Tate's voice...

so whatever dude...don't bother going to any DLR shows; or the reunoin for that matter...

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Jump was recorded in the key of "C" but that does not mean the instruments were tuned down. It's just the key the song is written in. A lot of piano-based songs are written in the key of C or D.

Most of the Dave era songs were recorded with half-step drop tuning; some with a full step. 1984 is the first album where they played a few tunes in open tuning. Most of the Hagar era songs were recorded in open tuning.