Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

was dlr's last tour a financial success?
    what about these death-treats back in 99?
    would they restart if DLR does a solo-tour?

i can't remember DLR not doing some concerts for such a long period. very strange for such a great performer.

cheers,
    SToRM
    dave, we'd like to go upstairs, the two of us, with you ...

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'd hate to see Dave go back out and do 95% Van Halen material again. If he's not singing with Van Halen, then I'd much rather see him playing his solo material. Then again, Dave's claim to fame and his ability to attract an audience is from his work in Van Halen, so something has to give there.

I can't see him doing that much more business in 2001 than he did in 1999 by himself. Sad as it might seem, maybe the best thing would be for him to join one of these 80's tours with Poison or Motley Crue or whoever. Granted, we'd like to think that he's above doing a tour like that, but his last time out he played old material almost exclusively, so a package tour like that might be just his thing. He's certainly not going to sell a lot of tickets by himself.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Dave fired his solo band a while ago, he probably thought that he was back in VH again. But we all know now that it didn't work out.

I really doubt that Dave will have a solo tour this summer.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YankeeRose:
    Dave fired his solo band a while ago, he probably thought that he was back in VH again. But we all know now that it didn't work out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We do?

Val: "we're waiting for Dave to call"
    Eddie:"It's not up to me"
    Dave:"I'm positive for the future"

I don't think it's going very well but neither the fat lady or the round rocker have sung yet as far as VH2001 is concerned

[ May 26, 2001 at 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The Round Rocker? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Maybe Sammy and Richard Simmons can do a Lose The Weight, Save The Rock tour this summer.

We really can't say that it didn't work out yet. I'm not nearly as certain that it will as I was before, but those who said that Dave and Ed would never work together again were certainly wrong.

I dunno if Dave's last tour was a financial success. I assume it was, because Dave kept adding dates. I'd like to see DLR tour again soon, and I'd like to hear him play mostly solo material. That's assuming that any reunion is on hold, though.

Would Dave latch onto a tour package like the ones going around this summer? I dunno. He doesn't really fit in with those, but then again neither does BOC. I can't see him enjoying playing second (or third) fiddle to bands he used to dwarf.

[ May 26, 2001 at 03:50 PM: Message edited by: MikeL ]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
    Val: "we're waiting for Dave to call"
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I need a refresher course. When/where did Val say this?

Thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    I need a refresher course. When/where did Val say this?

Thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    http://www.vhnd.com/articles/010426-02.shtml
    Delusions of eloquence

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"a package tour" was something i didn't think of. that might work, at least DLR could perform in arenas again. even here in Europe things might work fine for him.

but all on his own, nah, only small places!

glad, i'm not DLR's manager right now, kinda hard to give some serious advice here.

cheers,

SToRM
    dave, we'd like to go upstairs, the two of us, with you ...

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Thanks Jonathan. That radio interview is tough on the ears. Am I the only one who finds it strange to hear Valerie say she prefers the Roth era? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    Would Dave latch onto a tour package like the ones going around this summer? I dunno. He doesn't really fit in with those<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, I think he does fit in with those. He's basically an eighties artist with a small fan base that's fallen completely out of favor with the mainstream. Sounds a lot like Poison, Motley Crue etc to me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I can't see him enjoying playing second (or third) fiddle to bands he used to dwarf.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I totally see where you're coming from, but if nothing else it would show that Dave is committed to his music and spreading the word any way he can. That's what his 1999 tour showed me, even though I think it was a poor step to play so much VH material. Hooked up with the proper tour mates, Dave could be the headliner, and have a good chance of playing to much larger crowds than he can draw on his own. It still probably wouldn't get him back into the arenas, but it would definitely get him out of the clubs.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't think Dave's DLR band and tour intentions were the usual album/tour motivations of an artist. My speculation is that

1. He wanted to play classic Van Halen for the fans who didn't get it in 1996
    2. He wanted to send a message to Van Halen.

By the time I saw DLR band in December, Cherone was out of VH. There was definitely a "buzz" about Dave - the show was only announced a week before it took place. But I had to scalp tickets, they reputedly oversold the club by 300-500 tix, the fire department would have closed it down.

Dave's had a lot of time to think about his future over the last 18 months. I expect he has contingency plans if VH doesn't work out - I just can't see him coming off the hype of a possible VH reunion and then putting out another DLR band album and doing a club tour of VH songs.

I think he's going to either milk the VH publicity for all its worth and do something on a larger scale. Or he isn't going to front a rock band at all, and instead do something very different.

I can't see him going out with Poison, Motley Crue etc.
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I never bought into the whole theory that the 1999 tour was done as an "open audition" for VH. I think that VH would have been much more impressed to see Dave write a strong album and tour behind it to show that he could still make current music and present it in a live forum. Who knows though, maybe his doing VH tunes caught the bands' attention. I'm sure if you asked them, you'd get a straight answer. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
    I think he's going to either milk the VH publicity for all its worth and do something on a larger scale. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Like what?

I think if it all falls apart tomorrow (or six months ago [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) Dave isn't much further ahead than he was two or three years ago. Therefore he's back to being an artist incapable of selling large quantities of records or selling concert tickets on a consistent basis. Basically he's just Sammy Hagar with a different haircut. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I don't see (music wise) that Dave is marketable enough to do something on a large scale.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    I never bought into the whole theory that the 1999 tour was done as an "open audition" for VH. I think that VH would have been much more impressed to see Dave write a strong album and tour behind it to show that he could still make current music and present it in a live forum.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mean a message in the audition sense. I think he knew/guessed that Van Cherone was heading for a huge WB iceberg. I don't think the fact that he was out on tour playing VH tunes when the Danniels ship went down was pure coincidence. At that point the future of VH wasn't going to be a 4th singer.

And how about Val telling people to go see DLR band. I wonder what that was all about?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
    I think if it all falls apart tomorrow (or six months ago [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) Dave isn't much further ahead than he was two or three years ago. .
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe....maybe not. I don't think he's gonna be headlining the US Festival with Bart Walsh on guitar [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But I could see him hiring a "bigger" name guitarist and playing large theaters/small arenas.....he does have a higher profile than he did in 1999 IMO. Anyway TK say that he's recording so we'll know at some point.......no idea how soon [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ May 26, 2001 at 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Glenn, DLR is musically a generation older than Poison, Warrant, and Firehouse. While similar, there are some real differences there. I saw DLR when he was opening for Bad Company, and I saw Poison/Cinderella/Dokken last summer. Dave would be the old man of the group. Part of the draw that these packages have is that it's largely original members. How can DLR fit in there?

I can't see DLR headlining anything this summer. The packages are already set. He'd be an add-on.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>By Jonathan
    I don't mean a message in the audition sense<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I hear you, I was more making reference to the people I've heard who have basically considered Dave's 1999 tour to have been an audition.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't think he's gonna be headlining the US Festival with Bart Walsh on guitar<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's the right weekend for it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    Glenn, DLR is musically a generation older than Poison, Warrant, and Firehouse. While similar, there are some real differences there. Dave would be the old man of the group.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't really see that as being too relevant. Just my view, but I don't see that the audience for one of these is going to make a huge distinction between the 39 year old artist who hasn't sold well since 1988 and the 46 year old artist who hasn't sold well since 1988.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>How can DLR fit in there?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's a crowd that's looking for basic, fun, mindless rock and roll, and Dave practically invented that. I think he'd easily fit in there. If he wants to continue in rock and roll (without VH being an option), these are the kind of audiences he'll be drawing from. Why not go right to the source?