Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, before the flames start....please just hear me out. [img]smile.gif[/img]

First of all what a great Forum! I have been reading it for the last couple of weeks, and I am amazed at the loyal, mostly intelligent posts.
    Van Halen Fans are truely the best fans PERIOD.

I think there is a possiblilty that a big problem the VH bros are having is there is alot of pressure being put on to get back Sam or Dave or face absolute failure. Do a reunion, make the quick and easy money. My guess is that is what WB said...do a reunion or we are dropping VH.

As fans..we are a bit different..we will take VH in any form simply because we love the MUSIC.

Let's examine Dave for a sec. Dave was the coolest frontman in the 80's. The current Dave is trying rediculously hard to still be the 80's Dave. At this point in time he looks horrible. Unfortunately, Dave's charisma in the 80's is a HUGE part of what made him great. What he lacked in vocal ability he made up for with his looks and showmanship. And his vocal ability is alot worse currently. Not to mention that looking at him him say "...I AM THE PARTY..." Really has not credibility anymore. Do we as fans really want to see a washed up 1984 Dave? Or buy a new album with Dave trying to sound like he did in 1984? Personally, I don't.

Now on to Sammy. If there was to be a reunion of any sort I would prefer Sammy. The Sammy era musically speaking was better. BUT the shows and albums were getting a bit stale. The shows were basically the same tour after tour. Frankly, album-wise there was not alot of creative direction left to go. Thus the fighting between Sam and Ed. It appeared that Ed was trying to get Sammy to be more creative lyrically, and Sammy resisted it, we all know what happened next. If they got back with Sammy, it would not be as bad as getting back with Dave, BUT I cannot help but think it would not have the freshness and energy that we ( the fans) are used to.

I am sure that Ed's personal problems ( health and divorce etc) have been a huge factor in why we have not seen or heard much from the VH camp.
    BUT I cannot help but think that trying to decide what to do next is a huge factor as well.

I suspect that Ed would prefer to do something fresh and new, but he is getting a lot a resistence from all around him. A new singer is not gonna be a easy process, but it is the best thing for us as fans to promote, the reason why---we will actually get the chance to hear new VH music.

Ed has repeatedly said he wants to go forward not backward. Personally I agree. Although going forward is not the easiest road to take for any one involved, the end result will be great. Ed will stay inspired/motivted and we the fans will get the benefit.

Would it not be fucking great to hear a fresh VH album with a Contemporary vocal talent?

Sorry so long of a post..I just felt like letting it fly so to speak.

If I offended any Sammy or Dave Fans , that was not my intention, and I apologize in advance.

Thanks!

Last Online

02.27.05 @ 06:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

If Dave could resurrect his old self ('77 - '83), I'd want Dave. Otherwise Sammy for sure. Both on tour would kick ass!!

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Great post and Welcome!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Nope... don't want Sam or Dave back... I want a double instrumental album... if any singin just has to be on there... give Michael the duties!!

Screw the LSD boys... screw singers... fuck the past... let the music do the talking!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Nope, I want VH to have find a singer they like playing with and keep for a long time. Just get on with it!!!

If it sucks it sucks, we will always have our memories of the past, and the past will always be, even if Dave or Sammy came back.
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If a new singer were to be the answer then I think people would have been more open to VH3. Only in the recent past has the Dave or the Grave mentality opened up a little more to the possibility of bringing back Sammy. I for one would buy anything Van Halen. I bought VH3... TWICE. I think people want their old Van Halen back. I do however think that most fans are a little more open to possibilities than they were in 1996.
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A quick note on VH3 Album, Gary is not my definition of a new and frsh approach. Gary is a great talent, but there was 3( no pun intended ) things working against that effort Sammy, Dave, and Extreme.

That is why I think a complete unknown contemporary singer could be what would bring us a genuine, great album. With a unknown no past to live up or down to, with contemporary flair, the Sammy- Dave shadow will be alot easier to step out of. Know what I mean?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

07.06.05 @ 06:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by mrfixit111:
    I have been reading it for the last couple of weeks, and I am amazed at the loyal, mostly intelligent posts.
    You got one sick sense of humor!!!
    Buttocks and crotches and nipples with wings, these are a few of my favorite things!

Last Online

02.27.05 @ 06:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow aka VHL:
    If a new singer were to be the answer then I think people would have been more open to VH3. Only in the recent past has the Dave or the Grave mentality opened up a little more to the possibility of bringing back Sammy. I for one would buy anything Van Halen. I bought VH3... TWICE. I think people want their old Van Halen back. I do however think that most fans are a little more open to possibilities than they were in 1996.
    Wanna buy 3 a 3rd time? I got one 4 sale...

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I still want to see the original lineup [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why mess with success? They were awesome w/ Dave. They were awesome with Sammy. They sucked with Gary. Bring back Sammy and pick up where the left off. I think if they go w/ #4 no matter who the person is, they are dead. Look at how thin the fan base became w/ Gary. It can get a lot worse.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I really think Dave has a better chance of coming back than Sammy in my opinion. It took 12 years before Ed worked with Dave(Me Wise Magic etc.) and then another 4 after that before they worked again. Ed has shown himself to hold grudges, but he has also proven himself to cave in under pressure at times(The Ray Danniels contract fiasco)I don't know who has approached who with the off and on DLR and VH recording sessions. If its Van Halen, then Ed has been caving in to pressure from people around him. If its Dave then I think Dave is trying to get some credibility. Or just looking for publicity.

Sammy on the other hand. The break-up between him and the band was alot more severe and more explosive than when Roth left in '84. Roth's exit was more of a "ok what just happened here" where as the Hagar exit was closer to an actual fist fight. Both sides trashed one another and eventually moved on. Both sides have also said in the past they want to be friends still. So I don't think Sammy would be in without having to build a friendship again.

If Mach IV is the way to go. Then they need to bring in somebody with a bit more credibility to their name then Gary Cherone(not taking anything away from him as he is incredibly talented)Thats why the trascension from Roth to Hagar worked so well, was because Hagar was established with Montrose and re-established with his solo career. Mach IV needs a singer thats got a fair amount of credibility to their name still. Don't bring in a guy off the streets. Hell theres a talented singer in the band already Micheal Anthony, but no one ever gives him any credit.

Anyway thats my dollar fifty.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic, Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 10:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am a young vh fan (15) and personally i have only been listening to them for a few months, but i dont care if vh brings back dave or sammy or just gets a new singer all together. i just want to see vh on tour once in my life. my uncle went to the sammy and dave tour this past year and told me how great it was. if the tour of just the singers was great i could only think of how great it would be with the rest of vh. so my uncle promised me if vh ever toured again he would take me. so i just want them to tour so i can hear them in person. that would be great. one last thing, if they decided to bring back dave or sammy, i hope they bring back sammy because dave didnt sound too good on the two new tracks on best of vh volume one.
    "And I used to wonder why, then later i realized, cuz he's Eddie Fuckin Van Halen!"
    -Michael Ian Black on VH1's I Love the 80s as to why Eddie Van Halen is always smiling.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

05.03.13 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen the band IMO have so much to still offer musically. All they need is a viable frontman to put words to it. Sam could do it, Dave could do it, Hell, even Gary could do it. The prob with 3 wasn't as much Gary as it was the musical direction, and the mix. From what i've heard Van Extreme 2 was oriented more towards their roots. Could've been a nice listen. All I'm saying is get a good singer, and VH will be back on track. I prefer Sam, but it has to be VH's preference as well.
    Minnesota Vikings KICK ASS!!!! All other teams get their water.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by mrfixit111:
    That is why I think a complete unknown contemporary singer could be what would bring us a genuine, great album. With a unknown no past to live up or down to, with contemporary flair, the Sammy- Dave shadow will be alot easier to step out of.
    As long as the "Van Halen" name is on the package, there will always be a past to live up to. I don't see how you can get around that.

That's why there is so much division of opinion of the years of VH that have already passed. The Sam vs Dave arguements are generally petty and old, but they're inevitable when both incarnations of the band come under that same name. If the second version had a different name, the arguements would still exist but I think they'd be tempered somewhat by knowing that Van Halen, by name, ceased to exist on record after 1984.

Personally, I think Eddie gets way too caught up when he starts discussing how he wants to move forward. It's a noble idea, but new songs would automatically be a forward move, even if they are created with a former singer. If moving forward were as vital as he claims, where is my second Gary Cherone VH album?

It kinda reminds me of NAMM a month ago; apparently someone yelled out for Eddie to play Hot For Teacher and he made a comment about wanting to move forward, then proceeded to play Mean Street!!

And you know, there's got to be a level at which compromise wins the race. If blazing a new trail is so important, why wouldn't Eddie sign on to do the reunion album, but have a clause in there that allows him to record and release a solo record. With no record company interference. Surely he'd be able to swing that.

There's nothing new under the sun. Put a vocalist on it, and it's going to be a somewhat structured pop/rock song. I really don't see at this point that the choice of singers is going to radically define whether it's moving forward or treading water.

This is a topic that's better suited to the Opinions forum so I'm going to move it over there now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if Dave's voice is lacking or not. But I'd rather hear him talk his way through "Can't Get This Stuff No More" - than hear Sam or Gary belt out stuff that just doesn't seem to flow or improve upon the song (IMO).