Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In light of Sam's recent comments about Dave being no fun, etc., I keep thinking about Dave's comment from his book about separating himself from the world ("When I kicked that boat off the porch, I fucking meant it.") and where it's put him today. If you don't know the line, read the book - it'll give you a lot of insight into Dave and his personality.
    Although I can understand his feelings of being discriminated against as a kid, I think Dave has been sorely lacking a social identity for many years. Everybody needs close friends and a feeling of peer relation in order to be socially healthy. So Dave's whole "I don't need anybody" approach has always kind of saddened me, since he's such a bright, well-read, genuinely funny and entertaining guy. I don't know if Dave's problem is simply ego by itself (although he's not lacking in that regard), but I don't think he ever really got over certain insecurities from his youth. That may be normal up through your teens and a little beyond, but once you hit adulthood, you should be able to acknowledge the need for companionship and close relationships and realize their worth.
    Yeah, Dave may seem like "all that" when the lights come on or the camera or tape is rolling, but I remember reading where some stand-up comedian was saying that they all seem so happy and secure on stage, where in reality they are suffering from horrible self-esteem offstage and actually still seeking out approval from their audiences to gain self-worth.
    I'm not suggesting that Dave has an esteem problem by any means. I just wonder if that mindset that he adopted in his youth has plagued him and set the course for his adult years. Especially when he is relying on old VH material exclusively on his last few tours - makes me wonder if he sticks with what he is comfortable with. Granted, the Mambo Slammers, Vegas era, and his DVD project are definitely daring departures, but you don't see him drawing on those things in a live setting.

It's a shame to think about the image of Dave that gets press sometimes, because I always had him high on the list of people I'd genuinely love to kick back, have a brewski (or whiskey ) with and just shoot the shit.

I think Sam's words about "friends first, and then music" are what Dave should have been thinking through all these aborted reunion attempts instead of worrying about whether or not he could step back in as a "co-leader". The one thing that was obvious to me up until the time of the Balance era was that the guys in the band were definitely buds offstage. Maybe we wouldn't have had Fair Warning if there had been more friendship with Dave in the band, but I bet we would have seen a more than 6 studio albums and less animosity.
    I miss Dave in the band, even 17 years later. Even though I managed to enjoy the Sam years, despite how incredibly different they were. I think a lot about what VH with Dave could have done past 1984, and hate knowing that they could never pick up right where they left off. If they just became friends once again (or perhaps truly for the first time), I'd probably enjoy that just as much as if they were to record and tour again.

Come on Dave, pick that boat up, blow the dust off of it, and humbly ask if anybody would like to sail with you.

You won't regret it.

[ August 27, 2002, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Right on Brother! I think a big part of the problem is Eddie, Al and Mike are seen as the great musicians they are, of course Eddie being possibly the best ever on his instrument, as opposed to in the early years they may have had confidence, growing with each album release, but still had that feeling that they needed each other along with Dave, to make the best music they could.

Now, they may feel Dave is not on their level, of this I'm not sure, but it is possible. Thing is, before he left the band, he was more than good enough or they would have sent him packing earlier. I know many of us would be more than pleased with whatever they put out as a new album, simply because we know what they are capable of, strong albums, with most if not all tracks being great tunes. Not a lot of filler, at least for the die-hard VH fan, who understands the cover tunes and Happy Trails and Big Bad Bills were just VH being VH at that time. I don't want to hear other bands do cover tunes for the most part, but it never bothered me hearing VH reinvent tunes, more often than not outdoing the original.

I sit here not knowing if we'll get anything more than the RRHOF gig, and if that's all, so be it. Music has to be fun to play, and if no combination of former members can have fun and make music together again, maybe they'll each put out something new individually. It looks so easy to fix from outside the bubble, but it's anything but easy, that's for sure. I know the original line up never faked that good time they were having up there jamming, but if the fire is gone, sometimes you can't light it back up. After seeing Dave this past summer, I think he could front a reunion tour, given 2 nights off between shows, and without a doubt they could go in and put together a great album of shit tuned down half a step across the board like in the good ol' days. People have to know their limitations, and Dave was born to sing in that lower tuning, no foul, that's just his comfort Zone.

Sorry to get off topic, but your post made me feel the need to get some shit out.
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Now, they may feel Dave is not on their level, of this I'm not sure, but it is possible. Thing is, before he left the band, he was more than good enough or they would have sent him packing earlier.
    Well, the funny thing is they did send him packing after his very first audition and he went on to form the Red Ball Jets. In the Rolling Stone interview for Balance, Ed said Dave has it in for Al to this day because he was the one who gave him the news way back when.

As for the 'kicking the boat off the porch thing,' in certain areas Dave seems well-balanced (e.g. he seemingly enjoys a good relation with his family), but right after the breakup Ed mentioned that he puts up a wall around him and makes it difficult for anyone to be his friend. What would be the reason for that, ego, competitiveness, low self-esteem, all of the above? We're not psychiatrists so we can only speculate, but I would think it would be a combination of all three. From comments in his book, I think Dave really struggles with what he sees as the burdens of being Jewish as well. Add in his rumoured coke habit (when you've got former cokehound Robin Williams mocking you on the tonight show about your drug use, that can't be a good thing) and you've got a somewhat dysfunctional dude.

One of Dave's oft repeated lines is something along the lines of "the key to self improvement is knowing when to stop." In other words, if Dave's happy with himself, who are we to judge. But I would suggest he may to want to revisit that, if he wants to have a viable career within the next decade.
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great post Wuff. I think you missed the BOAT on your calling. Back to school for you! Physc 101 here he comes! XO

[ August 28, 2002, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Fabulous Shadow aka VHL ]
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.24.06 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I definitely think there is something going on there with Dave. It never occurred to me before but after he and Sam were on Howard Stern promoting their new tour, Howard made an interesting comment. He noted that Dave is always 'Daimond Dave', as in always 'on'. You never get to interview the guy that 'plays' David Lee Roth. That kind of makes me wonder what he thinks about his offstage persona.
    "We don't act this way because we're in a rock band; we're in a rock band because we ARE this way." David Lee Roth - 1983

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow aka VHL:
    Great post Wuff. I think you missed the BOAT on your calling. Back to school for you! Physc 101 here he comes! XO
    Waldo: "Awww Mom. you know I'm not like other guys..." [img]tongue.gif[/img]

BTW, nice to see ya WARHEAD - long time, bro. Miss your posts.

And Crazy From the Hemp - good points, especially your last paragraph.