Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.04.12 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a huge VH fan, I have been a visitor to this site for quite a while. This is, however, my first post. I felt compelled to write it after viewing so many outlandish posts.

Let me first clarify a few things. I am a huge VH fan dating back to the early years with DLR. If I had to pick a favorite era, I would undoubtedly pick the DLR years. In fact, I treat the SH and DLR versions of VH as entirely different bands. I like them both, but the DLR years were magical.

Unfortunately, DLR has made nearly every mistake possible since leaving VH in '85. His mis-treatment of band members (i.e. Vai, Bissonette, etc.) has prevented him from maintaining a steady group for more than a couple of years at a time. His complete lack of focus/musical direction has led to disastrous forays into Vegas-style show tunes and misguided reggae efforts (see YFLM). These factors, along with countless other mis-steps along the way, led DLR to a state of practical extinction. In fact, the last time he headlined a show in Chicago, he played The Metro ('94); a local club more accustomed to little-known acts and local groups (est. capacity 500-600). For someone who literally redefined the modern frontman, this fall from grace was shocking...to say the least.

Sammy, on the other hand, joined VH in '85 and immediately lifted record sales through the roof. I'm not saying Sammy is "better" than Dave. I'm simply stating a fact. Record sales with SH were overwhelminly better with SH than with DLR. The same is true for concert attendance.

After leaving VH, Sammy has maintained a loyal fan base by continuing to evolve as a musician and expanding into other venues i.e. Cabo Wabo Cantina, clothing, tequila, etc. His solo releases continue to come out on major labels and sell respectable numbers for someone of his staure. Again, I'm not saying I like these records. In fact, I think his solo releases are downright embarrasing. I'm simply stating a fact. The last time I saw SH headline a show, he played The World Music Theater in Chicago ('00) and packed the house with approx. 15,000 fans (and no opening act).

My point is this...DLR was a great frontman. Unfortunately, he has done essentially NOTHING since leaving VH 17 years ago. DLR essentially agrees with me by showcasing songs culled exclusively from the VH years in his current set. If he was, indeed, a viable musician, we would see evidence of that in his current set. We don't. What we do see is a bloated, egomaniac going through the motions in a painful nostalgia act. I know...I saw the SH/DLR show twice.

I understand why people love the DLR-era of VH. I do...it's untouchable and I still get goose bumps watching the bootleg videos. What I don't understand is how people can claim that he is still a viable rock musician. What dreamland are you living in? Further (unlike Sammy) he has consistently shown ZERO interest in his own fan base. Where's the website with regular updates about the man and his life? Where are the Picasso Bros. videos we all enjoyed so much? What has he done to make us care? Nothing!!

And, in an effort to end this juvenile debate...neither Sammy nor DLR are "better" than the other. They're different. Pick your favorite and run with it. It's not a competition. However, if it was a competition, the numbers would clearly show that Sammy is the winner. Sad but true. Get over it and move on.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DLR Fans...Deal With Reality!!

lol...oxymoron

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

*Stands and Claps*

My feelings exactly!
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Not saying you're right or wrong....you make some good points....but the Van Hagar did not "immediately lift record sales through the roof".
    In fact, no Van Hagar album has sold as many albums as did VH1 or 1984. In my opinion, that is due to more than just more people liking those 2 albums....and those reasons I have discussed endlessly in other threads here.

Bottom line, and something I never have disputed, Van Roth has more record sales than Van Hagar. Van Hagar was definitely not a dropoff in sales, because 5150 only sold about 3 million less than did the previous Dave album, 1984. After you've sold over 2-3 million, who really cares...it's still a crapload of sales.
    So Van Hagar was plenty successful, and there was no significant change in sales, but Van Hagar most certainly INCREASE sales, as you claim.

I agree with your point; both are good, but different.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I stand corrected. This is true. VH sold more albums with DLR than with SH. In fact, they averaged 6.2 million (US) with DLR vs. 4.1 million (US) with SH. Either way, a boatlaod of albums. I do, however, know that Sammy was instrumental in opening up new markets for VH i.e. Asia, Europe and Australia. Consequently, I'd be interested to see global sales figures as I have a feeling they'd "even the score." Nonetheless, the spirit of my original points still stand. Sammy's no slouch and he's managed to maintain an A-level career post VH (unlike DLR who's fallen into the toilet).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 11:02 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by johnstoops:
    I do, however, know that Sammy was instrumental in opening up new markets for VH i.e. Asia, Europe and Australia.
    I'd dispute that statement, at least in relation to Australia. Vh sales here declined slowly with Sams arrival, to the point that Balance barely charted. Their last hit here was 'When Its Love' - the FUCK singles went nowhere.

If they had toured here more they would have done much better. In fact I'd nearly guess DLR solo done as well if not better than Van Hagar down here over that period, and thats scarey!
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay...Great! We can all pick phrases from my original post and find fault with them. I'm not interested in debating the merits of 2 or 3 words strung together. What I'd like to address is the precipitous fall of DLR post-VH and his lack of commercial viability, musical integrity, respect for fans, etc. Where are all these clowns who still claim he is the greatest rock musician alive...key word "is"...not "was." Meanwhile, Sammy has eked out a respectable career for himself appealing to the harder side of the Jimmy Buffet fan club. Again, I'm not saying it's entirely admirable, I'm just saying it's a hell of a lot more than DLR has managed over the past decade!

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

I suppose this same kind of bullshit was said about other great acts that have made a successful return. Aerosmith, Plant and Page, Pink Floyd and even AC/DC. None of my favorite bands did much of anything during the dreadful 90s. But you let any of the above mentioned bands roll thru your local concert venue, and you can bet your ass it will be a sellout. I don't give give a damn what DLR has done in the past decade. What I do give a damn about is these guys getting their shit together and putting something out with the same passion and intensity as 1984. Call it nostalgia if you wish, but this is coming from a middle aged white guy who would damn sure pay the admission, album, tour and T-shirt. What if Elvis mysteriosly appeared, do you think his fans care that he hasn't stayed in the limelight for the past 20 years?
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you've really been a visitor to this site for some time, you'd know this topic (like most others here) has been beaten to death!
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave's made mistakes. Hell, he's made a boatload of them, which you seemed to cover in your original post. But disregarding the fans? A majority of the VH fans wanted a Dave reunion. It didn't happen, so Dave reached into his catalog and has given us the next best thing in the form of a live show. The fans wanted it, and he gave it to us. Resting on his laurels? There ain't a damn thing wrong with celebrating the past, and I think Dave's doing an ace job of it.

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The issue of album sales between DLR and Sammy era VH is complicated by the rise of the compact disc format.All of Sammy's VH records came out on CD at the time of their original release whereas DLR came much later after the original release dates.I own every VH album.I bought all Sammy era on CD once and still have them.On the other hand, I (like many of you )have bought multiple versions of the same Dave records.I have purchased Van Halen 1 ,for example FOUR times.How much have early album sales been inflated by people who bought it on tape ,then on CD ,then remastered?
    The song ain't dirty
    It's really just the way we sing it

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by DreamIsOver:
    The issue of album sales between DLR and Sammy era VH is complicated by the rise of the compact disc format.All of Sammy's VH records came out on CD at the time of their original release whereas DLR came much later after the original release dates.I own every VH album.I bought all Sammy era on CD once and still have them.On the other hand, I (like many of you )have bought multiple versions of the same Dave records.I have purchased Van Halen 1 ,for example FOUR times.How much have early album sales been inflated by people who bought it on tape ,then on CD ,then remastered?
    What you say here is absolutely true. But go over to the DLR Army and state the same thing and they start calling you names and whining, telling you to "prove it" with sales figures.....even though this is simply common sense. And if you could prove it with figures, the Roth heads would dispute those, even when plenty other "classic" bands had old album sales pick up during the same time frame, due to CD's.

VH1-released on vinyl, 8 track , cassette, then CD, THEN remastered. You can't tell me this hasn't inflated sales, particularly when it sold 4+ million copies in the 90's. How many people here have bought the old albums multiple times?
    Now, how many have had to replace worn-out FUCK CD's?....oh, that's right, CD's don't wear out. So if you don't lose it or break it, it will out last you.

Regardless, Van Halen was enormously successful with both singers, period.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes to Shove
    Last Online

07.04.07 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Couple of points:

Album/CD Sales

VHI -
    Platinum in 8 Months
    5x Platinum in 6 Years

Platinum in 2 Months, 3 Days
    4x Platinum in 10 months
    5x Platinum in 1 Year
    6x Platinum in 3.5 years

Platinum in 2 Months, 4 Days
    4x Platinum in 2 Years, 10 Months
    5x Platinum in 8.5 Years
    6x Platinum in within the last few

I don't think there were many remasters/people buying an album, then a CD within the first year of 1984, so assuming this, it took 1 year to sell 5M copies of 1984 and it took 8.5 years to sell 5M copies of 5150.

Also, 5150 was a follow-up to 1984, so there may have been some pent-up demand, as well as curiousity about Hagar. Also, it was a great album!

As for Hagar/Roth and their solo careers, you cannot compare the two as one is a guitarist/songwriter and one is not. Sammy was a solo artist and wrote his own music and Dave did not. Hats off to Sammy for this, but Dave's material obviously was not as good after he left Van Halen as he had to rely on others to complete/contribute to the creative process (Vai, etc). So one would think that Sammy would have more to fall back on post VH, and sure enough he has. Dave had to deal with leaving one of the best bands in the history of rock and never was able to duplicate that level of quality,....gee what a surprise =)

So my point is there can be no comparison as Dave was never really a solo artist.
    "No band has come close to duplicating the original Van Halen's truly distinct blend of showbiz bravado and musical ingenuity -- certainly not the band that continues to call itself Van Halen, offering up countless botched reunion attempts and a string of marginal post-Dave albums, and packing arenas just the same." CDNOW

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

01.30.06 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GOOD POST Johnstoops [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

PEACE! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You go there once, you'll be there twice" CABO WABO!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 21 Posts

The initial post is so riddled with inaccuracies that it isn't even funny. While it is absolutely true that Dave made mistakes, your post is proof positive that if BS is spread around enough, it will be taken as true.

(1) Dave's mistreatment of band members: I am not familiar with any except for maybe Billy Sheehan. Steve Vai, while I love him, has his heart in weird guitar music. His forays into mainstream rock are usually accompanied by dollar signs. He is a hired gun. He left on good terms and has always been appreciative of the exposure Dave gave him in every interview I've seen. Gregg also parted ways on good terms as far as I know.

(2) Sammy's solo stuff is still coming out on major labels: Sorry, dude. After poor sales of Marching to Mars and Red Voodoo, MCA dropped Sammy like a hot potato. Ten 13 (approximate number of sales) was released on his own Cabo label. Sales-wise, I don't think that Ten 13 outsold DLR Band, which in my opinion was inferior from a production standpoint, but was much stronger material-wise.

The truth is that both Dave and Sammy are in the twilight of great careers, the longevity of which is directly attributable to their association with Van Halen. These guys were integral parts of
    the finest American rock band in history. Without Van Halen, neither would be anything more than a Trivial Pursuit question.