Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN I
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Every Sammy album with VH sold lessthan the previous one. [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]redface.gif[/img]

Why? [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The first four VH albums with Dave sold on a continual decline until they started focusing on cover songs and keyboard tunes!

Discuss!!!!;(

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Once again Glenn makes someone look like a complete moron. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I betcha there are more Hagar CDs out there than DLR CDs. No way to back that up, but it would seem to fit with the change from LP and cassette to CD.

It's pretty fucking stupid to start a numbers argument just for the sake of it. Sammy Who? seems to have a hardon for Hagar, though.

SW, you're a fucking jackass. How is it that assholes like you just never get it, huh?

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Numbers don't lie. Van HALEN has outsold Van Hagar. Van HALEN albums continue to sell. Van Hagar albums don't. Van HALEN continues to get radio airplay on rock radio, despite no new material for 18 years (aside from 2 songs in 1996). Van Hagar does not.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FORD:
    Numbers don't lie. <hr></blockquote>You're right. Every DLR solo album has sold less than the previous one. You almost never hear DLR solo on the radio. DLR has sunk so low that he apparently can't even get work unless he relies on material from a career that ended 18 years ago.

Nope, numbers don't lie, Dave is dead and gone!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all, I don't know what that proves. Yes, Dave's solo career is finito. Kaput. But Hagar ain't exactly on TOP OF THE WORLD either. Each of his solo albums sold less and less until he was kicked off the major label deal he had. Ever since he left Van Halen, his celebrity status has decreased immeasurably (and more quickly than Dave's did when he left the band).

But Ford is right: if we're going to talk numbers about VH singers, let's look at the sales of VH albums with each singer. More VH albums have been sold with Roth than Hagar. And more Roth albums with VH continue to sell while Hagar sales with VH have been at a sort of standstill. For Christ's sake, sales of VHI and 1984 alone match up sales numbers for almost all of the VH Hagar albums! And all six Roth albums still sell!

Any great points now from Hagar diehards? "Oh, numbers don't mean anything." Well, then what are we talking about here?

Yes, Roth is a joke as a solo artist now. Absolutely true. But as a member of VH, he's much more popular.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Rikk, lately you're just running with the anti-Sam mob. Just my observation, but you really seem to have let the Sam fans get under your skin.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rikk:
    more Roth albums with VH continue to sell while Hagar sales with VH have been at a sort of standstill.<hr></blockquote>That's a wonderful statement, but can you provide some numbers to back it up???

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

God, stop the numbers already!!!

According to the numbers I have, Dave averaged 6.3 million per album. The first four decreased each album, from 10.3 to 3.4, then Diver Down with the covers, and 1984 started the pop, and they went back up. Sammy averaged 4.5 if you don't include RHRN, 4.1 if you do. Every single one went multi platinum. You know what that tells me? They sold a lot of fuckin records. It's hard to compare, as how much of the old stuff was resold as people went from record to CD? 5150 was really the only pre-CD they did with Sammy, maybe 0U812. I don't know if the remasters are in these numbers either, I got them off of Brad$ site. Did Dave outsell Sammy? Looks like. Is Sammy irrelevent? Fuck no, not with that many albums sold. He still AVERAGED 4.5 million per studio release. And, yes, they went down each album, but 2.9 million for Balance ain't bad in a world of boy bands, grunge, and rap, none of which Dave had to compete with. SO END IT, and pick something else to argue about.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Incredible Edible Dude:
    It's hard to compare, as how much of the old stuff was resold as people went from record to CD?<hr></blockquote>

That's the key to the numbers game, along with the amount of sales to different individuals. Without that, it's a ridiculous amount of numbers tossed around with no real context or meaning.

Not everyone understands that...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Rikk, lately you're just running with the anti-Sam mob. Just my observation, but you really seem to have let the Sam fans get under your skin.

That's a wonderful statement, but can you provide some numbers to back it up???
    <hr></blockquote>

I'm not running with the anti-Sam mob. I'm just sick of reading certain Sam fans practicing what they preach. I personally think David Lee Roth is a 1000 times better frontman than Sammy Hagar. But I still appreciate the work Sammy did. But when I read a comment like Sammy sings from his heart, Dave sings from his dick, I guess it does get under my skin. I find Sam so utterly irritating and moronic sometimes, but I put up with it for years. Dave is brilliant. That is just my opinion.

If Sammy fans want to make grand statements about how Sammy is still a real artist while Dave isn't, and his era should not be ignored, they should remember that Dave fans had about ten years to enjoy their era being completely ignored. And on top of that, if you're going to insult Dave for not having a career now, don't forget that your infallible Hagar basically doesn't have a career either.

I've got nothing against Sammy fans who appreciate both eras and don't make grand statements about which era is better. I have an opinion as to which era is better, but I won't shove it in anyone's face unless they challenge my own take on things. Sammy fans that have every VH album, love all of them and think that Dave did great stuff too are fine by me.

Hey, I think Sam did some great stuff too. While I don't like his lyrics on BLACK AND BLUE, his melodies are excellent, and the chorus with the backups is one of the best hooks in VH history. PLEASURE DOME is also excellent. TAKE ME BACK is one of my favorites. FEELIN' is awesome. Again, the lyrics to these don't necessarily say anything to me...they feel like the same point re-iterated throughout the entire song, but they're still exceptionally performed and very creative melody-wise.

HUMANS BEING is also my favorite Sammy Hagar VH song, and one of my favorite VH songs ever.

I'm a fan of all Van Halen (well, except the Cherone-era, really), but I won't take Sam fans being pigheaded about their own opinions and then expect me to shut up about mine.

If you tolerate and enjoy all Van Halen, you're fine by me. (WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN still sucks with VH though! )
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The funny thing is though, you almost never see a hard core Roth fan calling bullshit on another for bullshitting Dave's accomplishments. Which is why I don't quite see why people then get so bent out of shape when Sammy (or one of his fans) starts bullshitting his accomplishments.

I've come to the conclusion that most people don't mind bullshit and hypocrisy as long as it favors who they like.

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fact: Eddie Van Halen has sold more albums than Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah I'm also one of those people who hate to play the numbers game. Enough of the Dave versus Sammy crap. Both were great in Van Halen and both sold a shit load of records. Why the fuck to we continue to debate this?
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rikk:
    I'm just sick of reading certain Sam fans practicing what they preach. <hr></blockquote>

What on earth is wrong with that?!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>If Sammy fans want to make grand statements about how Sammy is still a real artist while Dave isn't, and his era should not be ignored, they should remember that Dave fans had about ten years to enjoy their era being completely ignored.<hr></blockquote>

Completely ignored? C'mon man, you know you're greatly inflating the issues.

When Hagar was in the band, DLR fans would say that if he was going to sing the songs like he did, he shouldn't have done them at all. Now they say he didn't sing enough of them. Which is it?

As for Sammy's career, right now it is far more viable than Dave's. There's no point in disputing that.