Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well the 4th singer threads have started up again. Probably because there's nothing else to talk about. But do you guys really think a 4th singer (no matter who it is) would sell?

I think the 4th singer is only an option if Eddie is ok with not selling records. I mean lets face it here. The third singer wasn't even given a chance to succeed with a big label there backing them up. What makes you think that a 4th singer with an indy label will be received any better?

There's no way IMO that a 4th singer breaks 100,000 records sold. I would imagine it would sell around 50,000 to be honest. Does Eddie really want that? Is it worth it no matter what the sales are just so he doesn't have to put up with Dave? If he gets singer #4 and he fails to sell 50,000 units does he then try and get Dave back or go to singer #5?

Personally I feel if he can't work with Dave then he might as well hang it up. Van Halen has entered the nostalgia years. It's time for him to face that reality. If he doesn't like that then tough. That's the way this business works.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by dj88:
    Van Halen has entered the nostalgia years.
    Only if they choose to, as Dave has.

A 4th would sell if they write music that'll appeal to enough people, and they can get it heard. That's what it always comes down to.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by MikeL:
    A 4th would sell if they write music that'll appeal to enough people, and they can get it heard. That's what it always comes down to.
    Do you think that's possible at this point? Van Halen is weaker than before. With Gary they still had the huge WB label to help them push VHIII and it still flopped.

You think that with a new management team, new (smaller) label and new singer that they'll somehow do better than when they had a big label like WB?

I don't see that happening.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think it depends on how you define success. For 3 it wasn't really about sales, but about if the long-standing fans would accept it. They didn't, and they're gone.

For me, it'd be about how a fourth singer fits. If it sounds good (and I'm not going to buy it to find out!) I'll buy it. That's what I'd judge it on.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is a 4th singer an option?

Sure, if you liked those Tony Iommi albums that were released between 1986 and 1995 (Excepting Dehumanizer, which was a kickass album)

Or the joke calling itself "Deep Purple" which at this point would be more accurately named "2 dudes named Ian and a bunch of clowns we hired at the soup kitchen".

Or that fucking masterpiece of an album released by 2 guys who used to be part of Genesis after Phil Collins left to get a job with Disney.

Oh yeah.... a lot to look forward to with Van Disaster IV....
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Is it much different than Dave being on what, his 9th or 10th guitarist now? "Oh, but the vocals define the sound!" Sure they do, in the sense that if they suck the songs suck. It's no different with the guitar.

We all know that a reunion isn't going to work out. Until it does, why not see what they can come up with?

What are the other options: do nothing, or get Ralph to play DLR for a tribute tour? I'd prefer that they try a 4th to either of those.

[ May 24, 2002, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: MikeL ]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it depends on how you define success. For 3 it wasn't really about sales, but about if the long-standing fans would accept it. They didn't, and they're gone.
    So do you think Gary left because of how the fans reacted to him on their tour or because the record sales weren't there? If the sales would have been there I'm sure he'd still be in the band. I think sales best defines whether you're successful or not.
    For me, it'd be about how a fourth singer fits. If it sounds good (and I'm not going to buy it to find out!) I'll buy it. That's what I'd judge it on.
    We know a lot of hard core fans will buy the next thing Eddie puts out no matter what. But there are those that used to do that and now won't (like you). Do you really expect an album with singer #4 to sell even if the music is decent?

Van Halen's fan base is pretty small now. The majority of the ones left want Dave back. By turning to singer #4 Eddie is basically telling the majority of his fan base "I don't care what you want. This is what I want." That's a recipe for disaster my friend. It won't sell. They might as well stay retired if they're going to do that. That is if they care about record sales. If they don't then by all means go get singer #4.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it much different than Dave being on what, his 9th or 10th guitarist now? "Oh, but the vocals define the sound!" Sure they do, in the sense that if they suck the songs suck. It's no different with the guitar.

We all know that a reunion isn't going to work out. Until it does, why not see what they can come up with?

What are the other options: do nothing, or get Ralph to play DLR for a tribute tour? I'd prefer that they try a 4th to either of those.
    The reason the heat is on Eddie is because it's Eddie's band and he's made it clear that Dave is not welcome in his band. If it were the other way around and it was Dave not allowing Eddie back, I'd feel the same way towards Dave.

One thing about Dave doing his "tribute" band though is that it is the closest thing we'll be able to get to the sound of a reunited Van Halen. Is it the same? Hell no. I'd prefer to see the original line-up no doubt about it. But since Eddie won't work with Dave what's Dave supposed to do? He knows there are a lot of fans out there that want to hear the classics. He's giving that to us. For that I'm thankful. His voice doesn't have much left. If Eddie decides 10 years from now that he'll do the reunion it'll be too late. Dave's voice will be gone.

The time is now to give the fans what they want. Van Halen is in a state of limbo. They need a singer. Dave's voice isn't going to get any better. Either do it now and give the fans what they want or flip your fans the proverbial bird and go get singer #4 and sell 50,000 units tops.

It's up to Ed, not Dave.

[ May 24, 2002, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: dj88 ]

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't think for a second that it's solely up to Ed. I know you don't agree with me, but to me it's become increasingly clear over the last year that Dave is the one holding up the reunion. Either way, it doesn't matter because the de facto reason is that they don't agree on terms.

A reunion just is not going to happen. Accept it.

I think Gary left for musical reasons. If you've listend to some of Gary work since, you'll agree that it's darker and more industrial than VH ever could be. The follow on to 3 was supposed to be much more of a rock album than 3 was, and it seems to me that Gary was going the other way.

I really do believe that good music will sell. VH can't be chasing their old fan base. If they want to succeed, they need to go after a younger audience and radio/video play.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think for a second that it's solely up to Ed. I know you don't agree with me, but to me it's become increasingly clear over the last year that Dave is the one holding up the reunion. Either way, it doesn't matter because the de facto reason is that they don't agree on terms.
    I'm of the opinion that if Dave is holding the the reunion it would only be because he was low-balled ala KISS. Dave's wanted back in VH for far too long to suddenly drag his heels now.
    A reunion just is not going to happen. Accept it.
    I know. You're probably right. I still have hope that something can be worked out for next year. I'm a fool, I know.
    I really do believe that good music will sell. VH can't be chasing their old fan base. If they want to succeed, they need to go after a younger audience and radio/video play.
    There's a reason that musicians become nostalgia acts. They run their course and then they disappear. It appears to me that VH has run it's course. All they have left is their old fans. They're not going to become the next Linkin Park (SP?). Their time is over. I think for as much as I need to accept the fact that a reunion isn't going to happen, that you and Glenn and some others need to accept the fact that Van Halen is done.

They still have a viable alternative though. Take the Eagles for example. That's a band that had a lot of bad blood between them. They've got over themselves and now tour with both lead singers. Their tours sell out EVERYWHERE. VH could be doing this as well.

I know a reunion tour wouldn't really satisfy you Mike. You want new music. But at this point I'd settle for one more go around. Bring back the original line-up for one last tour. Then do whatever it is you want. Get singer #4, retire, get Sam back, whatever.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm not sure the personalities in VH are such that they could do something like what the Eagles are doing. They don't seem to have the same maturity.

The one thing I've learned the past couple years is that whatever any of these guys do, it's for them and not for us. That includes Dave. They're going to do as they please. If what they do pleases me, I'll gladly throw some cash their way. If it doesn't, so be it.

One thing I'm not going to do is decide whether or not I like it based on allegainces to any particular personality in VH. If Dave isn't in the band, I might still buy a new VH cd. It just depends on how it sounds.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Eagles touring with "both lead singers" ??

When did they ever NOT tour with both Henley & Frey (to whom I assume you're referring).

Now, a miracle for the Eagles would be to put Randy Meisner back in the band. Assuming he can still hit the high notes in "Take It to the Limit"
    Eat Us And Smile

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FORD:

When did they ever NOT tour with both Henley & Frey (to whom I assume you're referring).
    I'm talking about Joe Walsh actually.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One thing I'm not going to do is decide whether or not I like it based on allegainces to any particular personality in VH.
    For me it's different. I only liked Van Halen when Dave was in the band. Sure there was a song or two with Sam that I liked, but it was nothing compared to the Dave era IMO. I've decided that unless it's the Van Halen I want, I'm not going to try it.

It's not because I think Dave is a saint. It's because I know what I want. I want Dave in Van Halen. Period.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by dj88:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by FORD:

I'm talking about Joe Walsh actually.</font>[/QUOTE]Joe Walsh has been on every tour since Hotel California, which was the first album he made with the band. Although the allegedly James Gang single "Walk Away" actually featured harmonies by none other than Glenn Frey and Don Henley.
    Eat Us And Smile