Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have the impression that IF VH hired a fourth singer, whomever that could be, and DROPPED the VH name, AND put a kicking rock album out, that most of could be happy with that and support it...

It seems most folks are really stuck on what to call a VH with a fourth singer...

Then, the new guy could sing 'Unchained' all day and we'd be happy...

It sounds to me, after reading these threads for two years, that most of us just want FINALITY on the Van Halen thing...We get that and move on, yes?

It's not the best comparison, but think of Heart calling themselves the Lovemongers...If they went out to support their record, don't you think we'd still get to hear 'Barracuda' and 'These Dreams?'
    It's still the Wilson sisters...It's Heart in all but name...

What do y'all think?
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

People would see through it in a second and call it Van Halen in a week. Good idea though.
    The only way to break away is to change the sound which I don't think they will nor should they.
    Do you believe? Don't you trust me?<br /><br />"I'm just trying to get in to heaven, I'm not running for Jesus." - Homer Simpson

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only problem is that there's no way in hell at this point a 4th singer incarnation of VH under the name "Van Halen" would stand a prayer, even if it kicked mountains of ass.

Like it or not, in the fickle, youth-dominated world of rock 'n' roll, Van Halen has crossed the threshold to become a "classic rock/nostalgia" act. That's the way the press sells them, and as "Van Halen" at least, that's the only way they're going to be given a fair shot by virtually anyone in the media and by many people in their own fanbase as well. For them to stand virtually ANY shot at regaining anything approaching their former level of commercial success, they'd either need to choke down their egos and do what would surely be a half-hearted, short-lived but VERY profitable Reunion, or change the name and possibly the direction of the band. And given the LEGENDARY egos on BOTH sides of the Roth/Van Halen fence, is anyone REALLY still expecting the Reunion to happen?

You can hold onto hope, just don't hold your breath.

SBS

[ February 15, 2002 at 12:53 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]</p>
    What, me, worry?

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SirBrownSound:
    They only problem is that there's no way in hell at this point a 4th singer incarnation of VH under the name "Van Halen" would stand a prayer, even if it kicked mountains of ass.

SBS
    I completely agree! I'd love it but it would be a commercial flop.
    Do you believe? Don't you trust me?<br /><br />"I'm just trying to get in to heaven, I'm not running for Jesus." - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by SactoFan:
    It's not the best comparison, but think of Heart calling themselves the Lovemongers...If they went out to support their record, don't you think we'd still get to hear 'Barracuda' and 'These Dreams?'
    It's still the Wilson sisters...It's Heart in all but name...

What do y'all think?
    Didn't you see their episode of Behind The Music?
    Nancy said that the primary reason they formed the Lovemongers was so they could make new music, the way they wanted, without "being responsible to Heart's past". Not to say they never play Magic Man or Barricuda again, but they don't have to.

And after the 70's classic lineup of Heart and the 80's version, which even the Wilson sisters admit was corporate cheese, it would have been as ridiculous to have named a third band "Heart" in the early 90's as it was for Eddie to call his third band "Van Halen".

Ann & Nancy are apparently reviving Heart once again, though they have made it clear they are doing so at their own pace and more or less for the hell of it, as opposed to the calculated corporate world that sucked them in 20 years ago.

The difference between Ann & Nancy and Eddie & Alex, is that the Wilson sisters can claim to be the root of the entire Heart sound. Eddie didn't create a sound on his own, but through partnerships with David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

[quote]Originally posted by FORD:
    The difference between Ann & Nancy and Eddie & Alex, is that the Wilson sisters can claim to be the root of the entire Heart sound. Eddie didn't create a sound on his own, but through partnerships with David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar.
    Lyrically, and attitude wise, I agree...However, in the spirit of splitting hairs, Dave didn't have much of anything to do with the creation of Ed's sound other than REALLY liking what he heard and being smart enough to commit to it...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One possible way to reduce hostility towards a fourth lead singer, change musical styles, and still keep their "brand name" is by changing the name to "The Eddie Van Halen Band". The band would not have the pressure of living up to their past and fans of Eddie, Mike, and Alex would still recognize the band.
    Of course no name changing will help if the music sucks...
    "Running the ball is like making romance..."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I'm so tired of all this Van Halen should change there name if they get a 4th singer business. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! As long as 3/4ths of the foundation continue to be there principally EVH the band will continue on as Van Halen. As ecclectic as VH3 was I still regarded it as a Van Halen record and that's largely because of the presence of EVH. The bands legacy will always be there no matter what the future may bring. MJ is still MJ despite playing for the Wizards and his legacy isn't any less. He's still one of the greatest basketball players to have ever played the game. If a 4th singer doesn't appeal to the masses commercially it's not the end of the world. At least we have new music to enjoy and a tour to attend. Van Halen not only represents what a bands present or future may be but it also embraces there past so why bother with the name change. If it's solely based on what the fans expect Van Halen to be or sound like-I think we're overly inflating our own opinions. If you like the product buy it if not well that's fine too. It's the consumers choice.
    How many artists in the grand schem of things enjoy the success that Van Halen has. Not many. Most bands make a living selling a few records and grinding it out on the road. So what's wrong with that? Roth and Hagar are doing it a

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I have no idea what happened to the rest of my post so let me just finish what I was going to say. Roth and Hagar are grinding it out as we speak selling a few records and bringing it on the road. No shame in that right?
    The name change buiness is ridiculous. Poison was Posion without CC. Smashing Pumpkins were still Smashing Pumpkins when they lost there original drummer for a time and bass player. G'N'R lost Izzy a major song writing partner and they stayed the Gunners. If VH gets a 4th singer it will still be Van Halen. End of story.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree Mario VH. What bands have changed their name because they have a different singer?
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very few bands (if any) have been super successful with 4 different singers. Eddie Van Halen is my favorite member of Van Halen and I would definitely buy a new album with a fourth singer. However, there is more to a band to most people than music. Image matters just as much. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] Let's face it - one of the reasons Sammy was so successful with Van Halen (besides the fact that they made great music) is that Dave took most of the blame for the break up in 1985. Many Dave fans left but most of Van Halen's fans accepted Sammy because the band still seemed likeable. After splitting with two popular singers in 1996 and looking like jerks (whether it was totally their fault or not), any new album with the name Van Halen on it was going to be met with incredible hostility (just ask Gary). A fourth singer will still face that anger today. I don't care how great the music would be, the main topic would still be why didn't the band reunite with Dave or Sammy. What a shame.

A fourth singer could be successful, but I think too many things would have to fall into place for it to work. In my opinion the band would have a better chance of success if they they change their name to something else like the "Eddie Van Halen Band".
    "Running the ball is like making romance..."

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Mean_Street:
    I agree Mario VH. What bands have changed their name because they have a different singer?
    Stone Temple Pilots did. And so did that band they like to rip off. As a matter of fact Stone & Jeff change their name every time they changed a singer. If they were like Eddie (or any WB act) then Stone Temple Pilots and Creed would be ripping off Green River and not Pearl Jam.
    Eat Us And Smile

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mario VH:
    I have no idea what happened to the rest of my post so let me just finish what I was going to say. Roth and Hagar are grinding it out as we speak selling a few records and bringing it on the road. No shame in that right?
    The name change buiness is ridiculous. Poison was Posion without CC.

Poison's a shitty example because they're barely a band to begin with. But since you insist, apparently they weren't Poison, because they couldn't keep any of those other guitarists. Probably because they played too good for the band?

Smashing Pumpkins were still Smashing Pumpkins when they lost there original drummer for a time and bass player.

And then broke up within 6 months of the bass player leaving.

G'N'R lost Izzy a major song writing partner and they stayed the Gunners.

Not exactly. They were essentially finished after the "Use Your Illusion" tour was done. The shit Ax-hole is doing now is NOT Guns N Roses. Goons N Posers would be more like it.

If VH gets a 4th singer it will still be Van Halen. End of story.

Van Halen was Van Halen because of the chemistry between David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen. Anything after that was nothing but a record label forcing a name on them, just as they did on other hollow shells of bands like "Black Sabbath" and "Deep Purple". And that's the REAL story.

[ February 16, 2002 at 07:58 PM: Message edited by: FORD ]</p>
    Eat Us And Smile

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The VH boys can get singer #4 and still call themselves Van Halen if they wish. It doesn't matter anymore. The Van Halen name basically means nothing unless Dave's back in the band. The name itself will not sell records anymore, so if they want to bring in singer #4 and call it Van Halen let them. It would sell no better than if they changed their name to Rat Salad.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

A name change serves no purpose. Van Halen isn't trying to get away from there past so why the fuck would the band change the name to Rat Salade or Mammoth or whatever? In my mind a name change serves only one purpose and that's to get away completely from what Van Halen or the group represented in terms of there music. Shit some of the 80's bands who have revolving doors in terms of there band memers continue to keep their original name and the stigma that goes along with being a so-called 80's hair band. These are the bands that would benefit from a name change or a fresh start so to speak. Van Halen isn't in there shoes so it's a mute point all together.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"