Thread: Sept. 4th 1996.

Favorite VH Album

II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

11.23.15 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am just remembering the MTV Video Music Awards from that year and was just wondering if If Ed and Alex were wondering exactly how much fun,how many shows,how many sold out concerts,and how many happy fans they would have had if this short lived reunion would have lasted.

If Dave would have been civilized, do you guys think that we would be hearing David Lee and the Halen boys still rocking our world today?

Now this is not a topic to say who was better,who was cooler or who was the real deal,But about what would have been best for the band.

What was better?
    The radical change to Gary?
    The mishap with Dave?
    The whole Sammy deal?
    or
    The Van Halen silence?

I love this band.the riffs are great with both, the fun levels are diffrent from the serious levels but it is still Van Halen.
    What do you think?

[ December 11, 2002, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: T.RYAN ]
    No president puts joy in my life, but Van Halen puts joy in my ears.

Never pet a burning dog.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Might be better topic for FV opinions mate, I'll move it there
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

TYWH, Humans Being
    Last Online

09.03.12 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nope.

would of breaken up faster than the g'n'r "reunion".
    Light em' up!!!

"You can drink the water, but don't ya eat the ice;
    Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice!"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by T.RYAN:
    If Dave would have been civilized, do you guys think that we would be hearing David Lee and the Halen boys still rocking our world today?
    See, that's just it. I don't think Dave can physically be "civilized" in the manner Ed would want him to be.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    It is a shame that their egos would get in the way of a great opportunity for all involved.

"Eddie did it" (I love that) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's entirely possible to compromise and still be yourself. Dave needed to come off the gas pedal just a bit at the MTV Awards, and Eddie needed to lighten up. I don't think Dave really did anything wrong, it's just a matter of knowing when to say 'when', especially when you're dealing with someone as sensitive as EVH.

Regardless though, even if it had happened in 1996, I don't think they'd still be together. I just don't believe that Dave and Ed can survive each other. Eddie is too sensitive and Dave is too unwilling to tone down enough to satisfy Ed.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

When I watched the band hit the stage LIVE at the MTV awards I got goose bumps thinking that we would finally see a reunion with the original band. Unfortunately as events unfolded afterwards you could tell the whole thing really wasn't genuine. I don't think Ed ever really intended to have Roth back in the band and it was all just extra publicity to sell a few more records for the Best Of. Too bad because you could see how genuinely enthusiastic the crowd was at seeing a reunited Van Halen. It would have been huge having the reunion take place then and it still would be big now but it just seems like it's never going to happen. Too friggin bad that I'll never get a chance to see a DLR fronted VH in concert.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away, 5150, Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree that anything involving DLR and Ed is bound to be short-lived. I don't know these guys personally, but that's just the impression I get. I just wonder, if they ever "rise from the ashes," whether they will focus more on the future, and try to make new, quality material... or the past, and try to make people happy by going with sammy or roth. I'd be happy either way. Anyone?

Favorite VH Album

II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

11.23.15 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by skiler78:
    I agree that anything involving DLR and Ed is bound to be short-lived. I don't know these guys personally, but that's just the impression I get. I just wonder, if they ever "rise from the ashes," whether they will focus more on the future, and try to make new, quality material... or the past, and try to make people happy by going with sammy or roth. I'd be happy either way. Anyone?
    Do you think that they CAN make quality with Roth or will Dave resort to 1986 when he was huge?The Diamond was is great, but come on it is almost 2003.Can he live in the now, or resort to the old days?
    No president puts joy in my life, but Van Halen puts joy in my ears.

Never pet a burning dog.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

I think the fact that VH has seemed to choose their own path and take chances makes them a better band all around. If VH had reunited with Dave, it would have eventually failed anyway. I think the same is true with Sam. IMO, VH is more respected in my eyes because they are doing what they want to do...not what we want them to do.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

Eddie should have taken more time thinking about his next move in 1996. They were too quick to get Dave back in the mix. First off, they should have not brought Dave back for just two songs. They could have taken some time and waited for Dave's voice to get back in shape. By then, they could've have figured out if it would have been a one-shot deal or permenant. Better yet, if they brought Gary in and didn't release the Best of Vol 1, it might have been an easier transition, I guess we will never know.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.24.06 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a question about the whole MTV video awards appearance. How involved was MTV in getting VH to do it?
    I read somewhere shortly after the whole reunion had a meltdown that MTV pretty much forced VH into it if they wanted continued support from them. Don't remember where I saw it; maybe from an EVH interview somewhere, and if that was the case then who knows what the truth actually is as opposed to opinion or finding a scapegoat.
    Don't know how involved MTV was, but it makes sense that if VH were remotely considering a full fledged reunion at the time a full MTV backing as well as promotion would really set the whole thing off, not to mention the added $ it's publicity could bring.
    So just how much did MTV figure into the equation?

As far as what was right for VH, I think at the time they were feeling the waters with Dave. When they hit the stage in front of all those people and got the reaction that they did, I think they rushed the reunion thing a bit, and then it just crashed and burnt from there. Afterwards, I think they lost there way a bit and then saw a fresh start in Gary away from the fueding with both Dave and Sammy. I think for them it may have been the only thing they could've done at the time; maybe Gary wasn't the right choice (maybe he was), but by then the fans wanted either Dave or Sammy back, and we saw how VH III sold.
    Perhaps the best thing they could've done was just ride out the storm a while longer and come back a little later on with something new.