Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright, enough of the Vai v.s. Eddie or Petrucci v.s. Eddie threads. It's ridiculous to try to compare anyone to Ed. So, here's a more realistic thread...Malmsteen v.s Vai. They both came out around the same time period and both are guitar virtuosos.
    My Pick...

>>>Malmsteen<<<

Vai is awesome, but I think that Yngwie is not only technically better, but also a better composer. I also prefer his neoclassical sound to Vai's.
    Agree?
    Disagree?

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Malmsteen--a COMPOSER?? Surely you jest. He has written the same, annoying, pseudo-Gothic metal for 15 years, his playing has NEVER changed, he only knows power chords, his technique is actually sloppy compared to Mr. Vai, his lyrics are lame (I am a viking, taste my sword), etc etc etc. However, I think Yngwie is cool for being honest about the state of music at any given time.

Vai is the most AMBITIOUS guitarist I know of. He has always tried to do new things, regardless of commercial limitations. His technique is flawless, his knowledge of theory is staggering, although outside of Skyscraper, I don't really like him.

But for me--no contest. Vai is by far the better player.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Outside of his work with DLR and Passion and Warfare, I'm unfamiliar with Vai. And I'm totally unfamiliar with Malmsteen. How about suggesting 5 songs from each and I'll check them out on Napster.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Vai.

Gonna mover on over to Opinions

------------------
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Ohhh my god , my hell inside me ... hey guys ... we need that the womens come back !
    YUUNNK!! (eddie italian)

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

What Abe said, except I thought Flex-able, and Passion and Warefare were fantastic!

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium
    G4
    "back to you, underpants" -Big Red Allan

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Um...Abe? I completely respect your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, but I must take a moment and rebut some of your statements. First of all, Yngwie knows A LOT more than just power chords, and to call his technique sloppy is ridiculous. He probably has one of the least sloppy techniques I've ever seen and heard (With all due respect to Ed). Just listen to the solo on the song "The Seventh Sign" and then try to say he's sloppy. Yes, Vai is more inovative. However, I own nearly everything Vai has done and Practically everything Yngwie has done and I firmly believe that Yngwie is the better composer...that's just my opinion however (For all it's worth).

Cool Glen, here ya go:

Malmsteen: "Blackstar"
    "I'll See the Light Tonight"
    "The Seventh Sign" (If you can find it. If not pull up "Trilogy Suite OP:5")
    "Bedroom Eyes"
    "Facing the Animal"

Vai: "The Animal"
    "The Boy from Seatle"
    "Bad Horsie"
    "There's Fire in the House"
    "Sex and Religion"

Keep em coming people.
    Agree?
    Disagree?
    ------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

[This message has been edited by Alchemy (edited September 28, 2000 at 02:26 PM).]

[This message has been edited by Alchemy (edited September 28, 2000 at 02:36 PM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love freewheelin'...
    Okay, comparing Mr. Malmsteen vs. Mr. Vai is, in my opinion, the worst comparison you could have made.
    We're talkin' about two different guitarist, composer, call'em what you want.
    One of them has ALWAYS played neoclassical/hard rock, the other went out playing with Mr. Frank Zappa, and therefore he HAD to play EVERY different genre of music.
    So, it's worthwile noticing that Mr. Vai is the most complete among the two, and he excels in every single genre. 1 point for Vai.
    Second: technique. Malmsteen became famous for his diminished arpeggios and scales, and he is not sloppy at all. He excels at doin'that, he's the master (along with Greg Howe, Vinnie Moore, Tony MacAlpine, the early Jason Becker, and the list of neoclassic players goes on and on and on and on). A lot of Malmsteen clones are out now, Timo Tolkke (Stratovarius, I know I made the wrong spelling of his surname) is good, Michael Romeo is technically even better than Malmsteen, but Mr. Vai can do everything. His use of the vibrato is awesome, stunning (only few have his touch, Allan Holdsworth is even better, Brad Gillis among the others), he can play tapping, sweep, alternate picking; since everyone has the rights to be blind, you can still pick Malmsteen if you want to hide behind the truth.
    Composer: too much subjective to decide.
    Malmsteen is doing the same songs, the same equal songs he was doin' ten years ago. Evolution? No signs... The usual diminished chord, power vocals, great keyboardists never USED at their best (Jens Johansson did his best outside of Malmsteen band), usual drummer with double bass drum. Composer in the same class of every power metal band of young kids. (Different in the sense he created that style, but he's still stuck there).
    Vai, (personally I don't like him as it may seem) did so many different things. Apart from Diamond Dave's collaboration, he did some very different solo records, Passion and Warfare is a classic, Alien Love Secrets is a great fusion record, Fire Garden is a great suite... Much more complete as a musician.
    And, last but not least, Malmsteen's covers devastated such classics like Child in Time, In The Dead of Night, ecc.
    Need more?

------------------
    Right Now How Many Say I Can't Get This Stuff No More - ddregs

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a joke right?Not only can vai compose circles around Malmsteen (he recently recieved the title "doctor of music" from the Berklee college of music,which is arguably the best music school around).But Vai is 10 times the human being than Malmsteen,he is truly one of the nicest guys in the biusness.This is kinda off the subject but I think its kinda sad when people refer to the Roth stuff as his best work.The people that think vai's solo records suck are the same people who like Poison and Cinderella.If you want to get to know what Mr. Vai is really about pick up his "seventh song" album coming out on November 7th.It's a complilation of all his 7th tracks on his solo records.And will showcase some of the most beautiful instramental guitar work you'll ever hear.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.03.12 @ 02:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll keep it simple. I really like them both and have all their stuff. I respect and love the speed and classical stuff of malmsteen but I favor Vai because of the different styles he touches on. My nod goes to Vai cause he is always showing something new. To Mr. Malmsteen, try something not soooo Yngwie sometime.

Eruption
    Last Online

11.07.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMO, for what its worth, i like listening to malmsteen better, i have passion & warfare and it sounds like guitar music for a grocery store.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That one is easy

VAI

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

VAI !!!!!!! my second favorite behind eddie...in fact with all vh s silence ive been spending alot of time at vai s site....imo mr.vai is not quiet human when he plays he s from somewhere else....and he s very cool and good to his fans to boot...if you wanna see yngwie get panteras first home video from their first tour with him he acts like a total prick to em.....ahhhh who s laughing now though

------------------
    eddie vanhalen , there is no substitute. member of the G4

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Vai! I think Vai is much better then Malmsteen. Vai tries to be innovative and diverse. Every time I hear Malmsteen, I hear the same scales in every solo almost.

As a sidebar to Vai, I think Steve Vai's last two solo efforts were some of the absolute worst recordings I have ever heard.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I also would pick Vai, He is my secound favorite guitar player after EVH! I'm not very familiar with Malmsteen though.

------------------
    Right Now you're reading my post!
    Here's a shot heard round the world...
    Sometimes I just want to do nothing...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man I can't believe this.Steve Vai is music for a grocery story,or his last two solo albums were some of the absolute worst recordings ever made?What kind of assinine comments are those?I know there were a few shit songs on Ultra Zone but come on,like van halen doesn't have any shit songs of their own.I wish you would give Mr. Vai a little more credit.