Register
    Favorite VH Album

Balance/Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

any that Mike played and sang
    Last Online

05.26.16 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 182 Times in 99 Posts

I loved the Concert that I saw at the Gorge in Washington....Dave was better than I expected, and Sam....well, he was Sam...he's always great !
    But this whole tour could have been so much better....if it would have been amazing if at some point during each of the shows they would have sang together. I know Sam suggested this, and it seems that DLR shot him down...I know Sam invited him more than once...why do you supposed DLR wouldnt ? I can think of a few reasons....
    1 insecurities....I'm sure anyone who paints his hair and plans out every move would have doubts about being able to pull off something impromptu and still sound good..I bet Dave worried about looking/sounding bad next to Sam.
    2 Dave was still trying to prove something to the VH boys , and it wouldnt look good to be associating too much with the "enemy"
    3 Dave might have gotten out performed on a VH tune....that would have been really bad for him
    4 Dave cant share the spotlight....its got to be all about him on the stage. everyone else is just supporting cast.

I could go on....but whats the point...you get the picture.
    I recently watched my tape of VH live in Toronto back from the Balance tour....and several times in that show...Sam has Mike and Ed sing lead ....it was so cool. Can you picture DLR ever doing that ? the Two VH shows I saw Roth in...he never came close to that....Daves ego rules his life, and his ego is exactly the reason there was no VH reunion...
    You know I'm Right !! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    AKA Kevohman and KevohmanII

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I didn't see this tour because I don't think Sammy or Dave is even aware of the country north of the United States. But anyway, had I gone to the show, I doubt I would have felt cheated by not seeing the two of them onstage together. Sure, it might have been cool, but hardly necessary. It might have been cooler had they done it once or twice, thereby making it seem more special as opposed to a routine part of the setlist that you were expecting.

As for why it didn't happen, I don't know. But I'll bet that in Dave's mind it was NEVER going to happen. He might have left the door open with his comments, but that's not the same as saying that "yes, it will happen".

To me, Dave just isn't a jam type guy. He's got his setlist and he goes about it from step one to step 15. Then he goes home. Dave likes to suggest that he's an off the cuff performer, but he doesn't really appear to be when you look at it closely.

Which is fine, you have to know your strengths. The problem is that if he's relying on one thing too much, he'll stop challenging himself to do more, or to push himself or the audience. Which I think is exactly what has happened to Dave.

[ March 01, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

Favorite VH Album

Balance/Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Good points....I can go along with that
    Dave , for all his off the wall craziness , seems to need to perform within a structured environment. I personally loved both Dave and Sam in their respective eras , and I just thought it would have been extremely cool to see them out there together. But Dave chose to be reclusive, when by going on with Sam, I think he might have won more fans by daring to do something different. As I said before , I thought Dave was better than I expected him to be , but I was still a little disappointed he chose to go the tribute band route, which , in the end , really limited himself as far as what he could show us.
    I would have prefered he got together his own band...maybe Vai and Sheehan...and shown us some versatility , instead he tried to recreate VH .
    Which kind of, in a way, pissed me off...because if I want to hear note for not VH, I want it to be VH, not a bunch of guys mimicing VH . Sam did his share of VH tunes, but he let it be in the style of his current band rather than trying to be VH . And personally, I hated seeing some guy who is NOT EVH up there playing note for note copy of EVH's stuff....that really bothered me...
    As a guitarist myself, I really wouldnt want to be known, if I was ever known for anything, for being a copy artist....it seems kind of lame of lame to me...but oh well, Ive rattled off enough for now.
    Keep Rockin [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    AKA Kevohman and KevohmanII

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Kev:
    I would have prefered he got together his own band...maybe Vai and Sheehan...and shown us some versatility , instead he tried to recreate VH.
    Yeah, but from this quote above it sounds like you dislike him trying to recreate Van Halen but you're in favor of him recreating the Eat 'Em and Smile band. Either way it would be a nod the past, no??

Which kind of, in a way, pissed me off...because if I want to hear note for not VH, I want it to be VH, not a bunch of guys mimicing VH.
    The problem with that is that Dave hasn't put in the mileage with all of these guys that gets you to the point where you can totally freestyle. Sure he's worked with the drummer for awhile, but the guitar player was new for this tour. There's no way Dave's going to have that instinct relationship that 4 years of club work gave him with Eddie.

It's weird, I've heard a ton of people complain that Dave's guitarist is copying Eddie too much and a ton of people complaining that Sammy should get a new guitarist who can copy Eddie better.

Personally, I think Dave does too much VH and I'm dying to see what a new solo album means to his touring setlists in future.

Favorite VH Album

Balance/Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

[/QUOTE]Yeah, but from this quote above it sounds like you dislike him trying to recreate Van Halen but you're in favor of him recreating the Eat 'Em and Smile band. Either way it would be a nod the past, no?? [quote]

Actually, I wasnt so much thinking of recreating Eat em....I was thinking he might be more likely to venture out and do some new stuff with a band that wasnt a trib band....and he had great chemistry with those guys it seemed....

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw the Sam and Dave show in Hartford and Dave sucked the big one. You have to understand that Dave is not muscian, he's a showman. Dave can not just get on stage and jam with other muscians the way Sam can. It all has to be layed out for Dave in advance. That's why all of Dave's adlib lines are well rehursed. If Dave had to be right next to Sammy on stage Sammy would blow him away on every level. Sammy is a true muscian. That is why I doubt you'll ever see VH tour with both guys.

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Vince:
    I saw the Sam and Dave show in Hartford and Dave sucked the big one. You have to understand that Dave is not muscian, he's a showman. Dave can not just get on stage and jam with other muscians the way Sam can. It all has to be layed out for Dave in advance. That's why all of Dave's adlib lines are well rehursed. If Dave had to be right next to Sammy on stage Sammy would blow him away on every level. Sammy is a true muscian. That is why I doubt you'll ever see VH tour with both guys.
    WOW, Sambo can jam with Meat Loaf and Brett Michaels and the chumps from Boston and Gary Cherone--who cares, David Lee Roth, a stellar musician, has been a part of some of the greates' jams of all times with EVH and Screamin' Stevie Vai and Jason Becker. I saw DLR live in '02 in Kansas City and St. Louie and each show was BAD TO THE BONE, Y'all!!!!!!

Van Hagar Rest In Piss!!!!!!
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell