Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.18.09 @ 05:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rate the Van Halen albums

Five stars being the best (like Rolling Stone does)

Van Halen - * * * * *
    Van Halen II - * * * *
    Women and Children First - * * * *
    Fair Warning - * * * 1/2
    Diver Down - * * * *
    1984 - * * * * *

5150 - * * * 1/2
    OU812 - * * * *
    F.U.C.K. - * * 1/2
    Right Here Right Now - * *
    Balance - Don't have it
    Best of Volume 1 - * * * * *
    3 - Don't have it

I'm curious as to what others think. Overall, I don't think there is an album better than the first album. I think VH 2 is a three star on side one and a five star on side 2, hence the average, a four star rating. I know Fair Warning is alot of people's favorite. Indeed, "Mean Streets" and "Unchained" are undeniably two of their all-time best songs. The rest of the album isn't as good though IMHO. The "Park" instrumental is Ed's weakest and it's not as overall consistent as the other albums (compare W&CF where each song holds it's own). Diver Down has "Dancing In The Streets" which docks it a star even though this is VH's most diverse and interesting album to me. It pulls off four great originals (including my all time fav VH song "Little Guitars") and covers great oldies (Kinks and Orbison) period pieces ("Big Bad Bill" - where poppa VH sounds great) and exudes fun and humor ("Happy Trails"). 1984 is unmatched.

5150 is not a bad album. Sammy changes the direction of the band more towards the frontiers of Bon Jovi and Def Leppard (although better than those bands) VH felt somewhat more controlled. You didn't feel like "what the hell are they going to come up with next?" VH became very predictable. 5150 however is hampered by placing 2 of it's least songs on first ("Good Enough" and "Get Up" are lunkheaded stupidity no matter how you slice it - "a rack of what?" - duh). It's humor changes from being witty to 7th grade boy's locker humor. But the rest of the album is musically sound - if you can live with lyrics like "TIME will tell if you can stand the test of TIME." But what Sammy does, he does passionately. OU812 gets a higher rating, not because it reaches the heights of 5150 ("Summer NIghts") but because of its consistency and it avoids the lows of songs like "Get Up". Every song on OU812 beats Bon Jovi's concurrent New York (if that's an accomplishment). F.U.C.K.'s last 4 songs are great and there's a few decent songs elsewhere, but clearly the fire is declining (could be due to recording the album for a YEAR). The live versions on RHRN are not as good as the studio versions which is always a bad indication unless you're Boston. Van Halen should be THE LIVE BAND to see. After that, I couldn't bring myself to buy Balance, although I hear some people think it's the BEST VAN HAGAR album. Someday I might test it.

Best of Volume One has all the Sammy hits (except "Love Walks In" "Finish What You Started" and "Top of the World") one might want. The new Dave songs are tremendous and my alltime favorite Sammy Song ("Human's Being") is on it. There are various notably missing Dave songs as well though ("Jamie's Crying" "Feel Your Love Tonight" "You Really Got Me" "Beautiful Girls" "Everybody Wants Some" "Pretty Woman" "Hot For Teacher" and "I'll Wait") that another Best of Volume 2 could easily be done.

Van Halen 3 is shocking in how astonishingly bad it is. It sounds like Ed's trying to make Gary attract the grunge audience while Gary is a progressive/metal with a Freddie Mercury fixation. Mike sounds AWOL. Ed's singing is amazingly offkey and his tone is terrible (something you almost NEVER say about Ed). All I can say is I hope they got it out of their system. I can see where they are trying to eliminate some of the problems they had in Sammy in changing direction so much that they were not going to compared to the Orignal greatness, but unfortunately, the band is not apparently that flexible.

Mike, while competant and dextrous, is a meat and potatoes Rock and Roll guy. Alex is even less flexible. Don't get me wrong, Alex can play great rhythms and powerful rock beats, but he couldn't help Ed change gears into jazz or blues or other directs like Jimi Hendrix did with his bands. If Ed's going to use Al and Mike, it's Rock and Roll baby. Ed, I'm sure would like to explore more avenues, but he shouldn't under the Van Halen moniker.

I, as well as the apparent majority, hope DLR is back and the band is successful. If not, the albums speak for themselves.

Brad

Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen - * * * *
    -I remember hearing the horn at the start of Running With the Devil when I was young and thinking how fucking cool it was...otherwise a great all around rock album

Van Halen II - * * * *
    -Love their version of Your No Good, but I really like the non-radio songs...Out of Love, Bottoms Up and Light Up the Sky come to mind...Light Up the Sky's solo is so rippin, along with the intro to Women in Love

Women and Children First - * * *
    -Take Your Wisky Home should have been longer...IT ROCKS!...Fools is one of my favorites also

Fair Warning - * * * * *
    -So This Is Love?, Hear About It Later and Mean Streets...they just totally kick ass! Was the only remaster I bought

Diver Down - * * * *
    -This was the first VH album I really listened to...I was thirteen and driving my brother nuts listening to Loverboy's Get Lucky...quit laughing...anyway he took it out and put Diver Down in, I started to play guitar about six months later and had all the VH albums three months later. Love Cathedral played really loud into Secrets, as I have said on this board many times, is a great song that not many non-hardcore fans don't know about.

1984 - * * * * *
    -When I first heard Jump I was pissed, what the hell was that? Love House of Pain, Drop Dead Legs, Girl Gone Bad...and yes Jump grew on me

5150 - * * * * *
    -I agree that Good Enough was not a very good song, but Get Up is kick ass! The thing I love about this album is that everyone seemed so happy to be in VH then, true the songs were more poppy, but how could you not like tunes like Summer Nights, Best of Both Worlds, WCTBL?

OU812 - * * * *
    -Mine All Mine, great song...to all you who said Sam can't write great lyrics...When It's Love is semi cheesy, but still a good song. AFU and Cabo were great songs and Black and Blue another great one

F.U.C.K. - * * * *
    -Dream Another Dream has to be one of my favorite VH songs...love the layer upon layer of great guitar sounds...Judgement Day is great guitar also, Ed blew me away with the songs break lick...Right Now is great also

Right Here Right Now - * * * *
    -Love the Who cover, it is so cool to hear how they interpeted the music and made it sound like VH...brought back a lot of good memories at past VH shows

Balance - * * * *
    -Funny story...lived in Japan when this came out (was in the military and lived in a dorm)...anyways, this dude I knew had a stereo the size of Mt. Fuji...we just sat down with a couple of brews and introduced the building we lived in, the building next door and the building down the street to it...after the building boss came in (opening the door with his key and 3 people behind him with torches) we went out drinking and telling people "don't tell me what love can do"...

Best of Volume 1 - * * * *
    -Nice mix of tunes, but they fucked up the Running With the Devil track...love Human's Being, CGTSNM and MWM...they are all great songs

3 - * *
    -Yikes! The thing that I did not like about this album was it took so long to make and sounded so unfinished to me (probably not to Ed and the boys)...I was one of the people who liked Without You when it first came out. Year to the Day is really cool when you are drunk and depressed. One I Want has some cool stuff and I think From Afar could be a really kick ass song if arranged differently. Songs like How Many Say I, Once, Dirty Water Dog and Josephina ruined it for me...

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Van Halen: 5 stars
    VH2: 4 stars
    WACF: 4 stars
    FW: 5 stars
    DD: 3 stars
    1984: 3 1/2 stars
    5150: 3 1/2 stars
    OU812: 2 stars
    FUCK: 1 star
    Balance: 4 stars
    VH3: 1 star

------------------
    E.B.A.S.

VAN HALEN I - 1984: The greatest ride in Rock & Roll history ...
    5150 - Van Halen 3: Not a bad trip either ...

"Someone asked me the other day what I thought I had learned about making music after all these years, and I said, 'Nothing'." -EVH

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, to avoid givin' me a headache I'll just do a scale of 1-10 n shit.

VH-9
    VH2-7
    WACF-6
    DD-3
    FW-7
    84'-8
    5150-8
    ou812-5
    F.u.c.k.-9
    RHRN-3
    Balance-4
    Best of-5
    VH3-2

I hope I got them all?

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

The 5th member of G4, EVH there is no substitute

www.freedrive.com under No Bozo's "scents". Username and password are vhlinks.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'll use a 1-10 scale as well:

Van Halen - 10
    Van Halen II - 6
    Women and Children First - 7
    Fair Warning - 9
    Diver Down - 5
    1984 - 10
    5150 - 9
    OU812 - 7
    F.U.C.K. - 8
    Live: RHRN - 6
    Balance - 8
    Van Halen 3 - 4

------------------
    "If Gary's in, he's in for life--that's it. And if anything ever does happen, then I'll score movies or whatever, but that would be the end of Van Halen. I'll take up tuba." --EVH, Entertainment Weekly, 1996

Dan Halen

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

vh1 - 10
    vh2 - 6
    wacf - 7
    fair warning - 2
    Diver down - 4
    1984 - 5
    5150 - 6
    ou812 - 5
    fuck - 8
    rhrn - 7
    balance - 10

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Van Halen - ****
    Van Halen II - ***
    WACF - **
    Fair Warning - ***
    Diver Down - *
    1984 - *****
    5150 - *****
    OU812 - ****
    FUCK - ****
    LRHRN - **
    Balance - ***
    BOV I - ***
    VH III - **

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Van Halen 1 ***** (you can't beat the original here, yet)

Van Halen 2 **** (a strong follow up but needed to be harder all the way through)

WACF ***1/2 (underrated and less commercial)

Fair Warning ***** (what a rock and roll album should be like)

Diver Down **1/2 (good job with covers)

1984 ***** (a new sound, but kept the Van Halen attitude)

5150 **** (a strong debut with Sammy, but didn't care for the electronic drums)

ou812 ***** (this is how you follow up with new singer's second album, learned lesson from VH2)

F.U.C.K. **** (powerful album that put Van Hagar in "commercial success")

RH,RN ***** (one of my favorite live albums ever and loved cover of "won't get fooled again")

Balance ***1/2 (good album, better tour)

BOV1 ***1/2 (should have been more songs on it, new songs were very cool)

3 *** (took a chance, hopefully learned another lesson)

------------------
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH EDDIE, ALEX, MIKE & DAVE.

*****I AM THE OLIVER STONE OF VHLINKS*****

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen - ***** (classic)

Van Halen II - **** (solid follow-up)

WACF - *** (decent, but unspectacular)

Fair Warning - **** 1/2 (best 'rock' album)

Diver Down - ** 1/2 (couple of good tunes, overall seems lazy)

1984 - **** 1/2 (innovative, classic)

5150 - **** (best pop album, best Hagar album)

OU812 - *** 1/2 (Cool album, contains a few gems)

F.U.C.K - *** 1/2 (solid but somewhat boring, Right Now one of VH's most known songs)

Balance - *** (Some great hits, but then a lot of misses i.e-strungout, doin' time, big fat money, aftershock, seventh seal)

VH III - * 1/2 (enjoy without you and from afar, aside from that, disapointing album)

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen *****
    Van Halen 2 ****
    WACF ****
    FW ***
    DD ***(Dancing In The Street IS good)
    1984 ****
    5150 *****
    OU812 ***1/2
    FUCK ***1/2
    L:RHRN ***
    Balance ****1/2
    BOV1 *****
    VH3 **1/2

I never really understood why everyone thinks Fair Warning is the greatest. But then again, this is the Opinions Forum. And yes, I like Dancing In The Street.

------------------
    Kenyon Vincent-the linker formerly known as Red-Balled Mammoth.
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenyonVincent:

I never really understood why everyone thinks Fair Warning is the greatest.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me neither

------------------
    Hot damn burn an amsterdamn! "The almighy Red Rocker

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenyonVincent:
    Van
    I never really understood why everyone thinks Fair Warning is the greatest.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Me either Rafter and Ken, I think it's one of VH's worst albums! The only songs on it that I think are really great are Mean Street and Unchained.

------------------
    Right Now you're reading my post!
    She's a vision from coast to coast...
    Kicking back ain't kicking you...
    Don't disturb my paradise,
    i've asked you once, I asked you nice...
    Up Front Fanatics!

[This message has been edited by YankeeRose (edited January 28, 2001 at 09:21 PM).]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.18.09 @ 05:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you'll find that people tend to rate the first album they bought/heard as either their most favorite or very high at the least. I think this accounts for the up and down ratings for Fair Warning, Diver Down, 5150, and F.U.C.K.

Alot of the old school guys who's first VH tour was to see the Fair Warning tour have burned into their consciousnesses that that was the greatest thing ever. The same goes for the younger kids who's first impression was made when F.U.C.K. came out.

There appear to be some common threads here... Van Halen 1, 1984 and 5150 all generally get high marks from all sides. Likely due to both the fact that they attracted alot of first time listeners AND the fact that they are, truly, GREAT ALBUMS.

What I don't understand is the dichotomy of reactions regarding the Balance album. Surely that couldn't have been very many fans' first album as VH's popularity had begun to decline and the younger kids were being fed a constant barriage of Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots at the time. Why do some people consider Balance as lousy and some people give it the highest rating (above 1984 and 5150!)? Perhaps some further extrapolation is necessary...?

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Van Halen 5 stars
    Amazing album, nothing but solid songs from top to bottom. It's almost hard to believe that they were so young when they put this album together it's so perfect. And the sound is awesome, like they'd been in studios all their lives.

Van Halen II 4.5 stars
    Another amazing album, but I'm taking off some points because the sound is a letdown from the first album. But again, this is wall to wall great songs.

Women and Children First 5 stars
    This one is a monster album. This album seems very inward to me, as if they had no concept of the outside world of radio or A and R people. This one hovers at the top of my list because of that, it's like they've taken their influences, wrung them dry, and now they're dancing with new shoes.

Fair Warning 5 stars
    Again, another monster. From the twisted album cover to the title, this one has an edge to it. This album exudes a confidence and a swagger that they maybe never got back to.

Diver Down 4 stars
    Like alot of people, I wish there were more original songs here. But Little Guitars is the best song they've ever done, so the covers don't dilute the genius of the originals. Secrets is also a gem that's never been given proper credit, as is The Full Bug. Cathedral is another avenue of Eddie's vision. People deride Dancing in the Streets, but it's a fun version; and to me, Where Have all the Good Times Gone is far weaker, probably the poorest song on the album.

1984 5 stars
    This is where I got on board the Van Halen train. This album is a gem, perfect in every way. I love the intro, and Jump will always be special no matter how many times I hear it. Hits like Panama and Hot For Teacher are legend, but Top Jimmy shows Eddie playing with new toys again, and Girl Gone Bad is a hidden classic.

5150 4 stars
    A great start for the Sammy era. I don't really care for the drum sound, but that's okay. Get Up isn't a very good song IMO, it sounds like a jam that got thrown onto the album. Inside gets slammed, but it shows their sense of humor, sort of like Happy Trails did. "5150" is one of the best songs they ever did, with any singer.

OU812 3.5 stars
    Great songs here, but the sound really lets it down. It took me a long time to get into this album. Source of Infection should have been an instrumental, the lyrics aren't very good. Mine All Mine is a great angry song I like to listen to when I'm really pissed off. Cabo Wabo is a great tune.

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge 4 stars
    This album got me back into the band after I'd drifted away for awhile. I didn't even know VH had an album coming out, and I walked into a store and I heard this song. I said to the clerk, "this sounds like EVH" and it turns out it was Poundcake. I love that song, it has more attitude than most Sam era stuff. Some really great songs here; Poundcake, Judgement day, Right Now, Top of the World. It took me a long time to get into Man on a Mission and Pleasure Dome; they almost seem like concept pieces to me, very cinematic in my opinion. Not really fond of Eddie's guitar sound on this one, it could've been way better.

Live: Right Here Right Now 3 stars
    Fairly uninspired set list in my opinion. And it really is WAY too polished sounding for Van Halen. Sammy is awesome on Won't Get Fooled Again.

Balance 4.5 stars
    Soundwise, this is easily the best Sam era album they ever made. This is the only one of the four that I feel like they really nailed the sound. The Seventh Seal is a great opener, and the emotion that comes off of tunes like Feelin', Take Me Back (deja-vu) and Don't Tell Me is great. If Sam had to go, this was a great final statement along with Humans Being.

Best of Volume 1 4 stars
    Basically this is getting graded entirely on the 2 new songs, as well as Humans Being. All three are great songs, which would have warrented a 5 here, but why wasn't Diver Down represented? Little Guitars or Secrets should have been on there.

Van Halen III 3.5 stars
    Alright, here's where I earn my sheepskin coat. I love this album, however the sound is terrible. I have a CD of the VH III listening party, and Eddie says to the crowd, "there's Mike Post, without him this album wouldn't have gotten made"; I'm surprised Mr. Post made it out alive. Anyway, I love the songs on here, and the ones they did live sounded all the better out of the studio. Without You is great, One I Want is cool and Fire in the Hole rocks. Year to the Day is the gem of this album, I love it. From Afar and Once are very cinematic to me, like they should be accompanied by a film. Even How Many Say I is musically cool, though the lyrics are terrible in my opinion.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

[This message has been edited by Glenn (edited January 29, 2001 at 12:01 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

03.10.06 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen I *****
    Van Halen II *****
    WACF ****
    Fair Warning *****
    Diver Down ***1/2
    1984 ****