Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Addiction"

No Bozo's
    Okay guys, does anyone think that Ed's addiction to alcohol and drugs affected his last two alblums? When he went "Clean" and was off the shit it seemed that his music on those alblums were "weak". It seemed like his well known take on guitar playing, "falling down the stairs and landing on your feet", was reduced to "already being down the stairs when your pussy starts to hurt".

I think that it has affected his guitar playing only because the results of the last two alblums were weak and has not shown me anything to decifer my opinion.

------------------
    Broken down 'n' dirty dressed in rags

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

ED'S PLAYING IS DEFFINTLY FOR THE BETTER, in the early 90's his playing sounded a little bloated to me -- it was still great but that lost the quick witted charm that he is known for ,and i'm sure it was from the alcohol,
    it's like putting water in a lamborgini gas tank. vh 3 guitar playing was incredible

------------------
    IN 1984 VH JUMPED PANAMA TOPPED JIMMY AND DROPPED DEAD LEGS?..I'LL WAIT.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

WCTBL
    Last Online

06.17.17 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sobriety is great foe an alcoholic and I wish all the best for Edward.

I think the change is noticable in Balance. Edward himself told in Metal Edge interview in 95, that some solos recorded straight seemed so stiff, that he got drunk and redid them! Interviewer even said huh! on the reply to his answer!

However, I think Edward has come to terms with playing straight. His playing is more versitile (and better or godlike!) on the latter works like Me Wise Magic etc. & VH3.

IMHO Edward playes much better sober.

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

What i know is that Ed was Never addicted to drugs...

Besides that i think that now, as a sober guy he plays better and has more music knowledge, he's more mature now, he's now a GREATER player than he was before

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that Eddie's work on VHIII was really good ! It cames from a clean mind and sober ! Listening and watching him live it seemed reborn ! ... A lot way better than the last 3 albums !
    Btw , now is a really good guitar player ( for me the King of the six strings ) but , listening to many solos from the 1984 tour i think that in this period he gave the max in term of improvvisation and feeling !
    Now he's a great composer and I'm really happy that he quitted with alchol !

------------------
    Eddie_italian from Italy --- member of the G4

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Being so popular, it's good he quit drinking: it's a good example for many people out there that thinks that "if you drink you're better" or "you can do more things when you're drunk".
    Remeber that eddie's got a son and how you'd feel if your son see that his father is alcholist?
    I think he has done a mature choice quitting drinking (of course it's also better for his health and mind)

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It always amazes me when people try to claim that Eddie (or Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, or whomever) played better under the influence of drugs and or alcohol. What the fuck difference does it make how good they play if they're FUCKING DEAD??? And that's what happens to addicts.

Of course it IS a fact that Eddie plays better "under the influence" of David Lee Roth!

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by No Bozo's:
    Okay guys, does anyone think that Ed's addiction to alcohol and drugs affected his last two alblums? When he went "Clean" and was off the shit it seemed that his music on those alblums were "weak". It seemed like his well known take on guitar playing, "falling down the stairs and landing on your feet", was reduced to "already being down the stairs when your pussy starts to hurt".

I think that it has affected his guitar playing only because the results of the last two alblums were weak and has not shown me anything to decifer my opinion.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate when this topic comes up about Ed
    Alcoholism is a threefold disease-and it never goes away-not until the breath is gone..and I mean clean and sober it's still there...just arrested
    Three fold meaning physical-compulsion to drink (otherwise called the allergy)
    mental-repetition of the same act expecting
    different results(aka insanity) and most importantly the spiritual-aka soul sickness.

Now, without further ado:If he's taken care of these three issues-How the Fuck can he play WEAK. Have you ever seen the world thru a bottle? Have you ever deluded yourself
    to thinking if I take this drink I'll play better?

Go back and listen to those albums-here's a big clue. From the time he got sober to VH3
    you see/hear the growth and change in Ed's playing...it's different sure but that doesn't mean it's WEAK...and it doesn't mean you have to like it either.....this is not
    about booze or lack of it.....this is about Ed no longer being deluded

------------------
    "Eddie Van Halen? That man could play a symphony with his ass hairs"-some old man

[This message has been edited by ANGEL4U (edited August 21, 2000 at 06:34 PM).]

[This message has been edited by ANGEL4U (edited August 21, 2000 at 06:36 PM).]

No Bozo's
    Awesome feedback

Eddie_italian: Yes I know, I also caught V3
    here in the states at "The Gorge in george", which is an amphitheater (sp) that also also hosted the Balance tour. Great show man it was my 4th show when the opening song "Unchained" made the hair on my arms stand same with "Humans Being".

FORD: Yah you know where the Gorge is don't ya? Did you catch any of those shows? Did you notice Ed turning off the effects because of the wind near the columbia river? It was in the guitar solo "Year to the day" ...

Angel4U: Hmmm ... boy I hope ya had fun quoting me on that one Yah I know what alcohol can do to a person. He's a great influence to me, if he can do I can do it, I can do it, so maybe I should look at it in that percpective. And for V3 trust me! I listened to it many times. Over and over again trying to hear something that would insure that it was going to be one of those alblums I can hear over and over but I found nothing. You know what though I'm sure there's 500,000 pissed off fans who are gonna agree with me. Anyways ... there were so many problems with that alblum that it's just a waste of time to get into the whole thing.

But what I just realized is that maybe know that all his trick's 'n' stuff are all "maxed" out ... or whatever eddie_italian posted ... that those things aren't important as they used to be just like the booz's.
    Who knows ... of course he's the KING so let's see! I'm sure he'll muster up something that's influencial.

------------------

[This message has been edited by No Bozo's (edited August 22, 2000 at 11:52 PM).]

No Bozo's

------------------

[This message has been edited by No Bozo's (edited August 22, 2000 at 11:23 PM).]

No Bozo's
    ATTENTION: Who's the editor in cheif. Delete my doubled post please? Is there a way? Dammit ... I look like a fool, Damn computer!

Nevermind, That was easy, just delete the bitch ...

[This message has been edited by No Bozo's (edited August 22, 2000 at 11:25 PM).]

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by No Bozo's:

Angel4U: Hmmm ... boy I hope ya had fun quoting me on that one

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I didn't
    As I said before-I hate it when the topic of
    Ed and his alcoholism come up-
    here's a news flash-alcohol is not an Addictive substance

------------------
    "Eddie Van Halen? That man could play a symphony with his ass hairs"-some old man

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ANGEL4U:
    As I said before-I hate it when the topic of Ed and his alcoholism come up-
    here's a news flash-alcohol is not an Addictive substance

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your kidding right?
    You honestly think that Alcohol is not a addictive substance?

Well I so strongly fucking disagree with you it isnt even funny!!
    Want to know how I know this? Well Im going to tell you how I know!!

Angel4u - IM A ALCOHOLIC - I HAVE BEEN SOBER FOR 7YRS, BUT I STILL DO GET URGES AND AND THAT OLD FEELING OF WANTING A BEER OR A DRINK NOW AND THEN. Now I dont ever crave corn on the cob, carrots, pepsi, 7-up, Dr Pepper, snickers, M&M's, Taco's etc etc etc like I crave alcohol - so for you to tell me that alcohol is not a addictive substance has to be the most backwards ass thought I have ever fucking heard in my life. FUCKING AMAZING!!
    I sincerely hope I read what you wrote wrong but I have read it 100 times and it still reads the same way.
    I also hate when the subject of Ed's drinking comes up, for the reason that its none of our damm buisness. Eds drinking and sobriety is his and his familys buisness and not ours. Ed is a public figure so its going to be brought up time and time again and I guess thats what you get for be famouse. Fucking amazing!!

------------------
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    and thats about what its worth

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OLO:
    [B
    Angel4u - IM A ALCOHOLIC - I HAVE BEEN SOBER FOR 7YRS, BUT I STILL DO GET URGES AND AND THAT OLD FEELING OF WANTING A BEER OR A DRINK NOW AND THEN. Now I dont ever crave corn on the cob, carrots, pepsi, 7-up, Dr Pepper, snickers, M&M's, Taco's etc etc etc like I crave alcohol

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OLO-I understand that your sober and I think that is great...are you in a recovery program? I'll be more than happy to share more info with you or give you resources to
    back up my statemnet....I mean NO offense...
    but how does a taco, m&m, 7up or corn on the cob 'alter' the way you feel?Alcoholics drink because they like the way it makes them feel-read the BIG BOOK!! So what you're addicted to is the feeling produced, not the actual substance-see the difference?
    I happened to hear a Dr. speak (addictionoligist) who is also an alcoholic, on this very subject and would be more than happy to share the info
    with you.
    That being said.......there is a big difference between an 'addict' and an alcoholic,imho
    Like I said before, if you want the info, I'll get it for you, but I'd rather not post
    it here, to a public board, to protect the Dr.s name

------------------

[This message has been edited by ANGEL4U (edited August 25, 2000 at 05:06 AM).]

No Bozo's
    Hey guys ... Enough of the "AA" thing I was just trying to see if it made an impact on his music and I don't that it has ...

------------------

"The fifty one fifty walk!"

"Alex Boceebus Vo Halen"