Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

everytime i watch 'beat it' by micheal jackson it kills me to think he never got paid, never asked or wasnt even compensated by quincy jones or mike never mind not even getting a credit under the song for the music. his guitar made the song and without the rhythm guitar the song wouldnt be what it is never mind the great solo. also the money involved would have been incredible, he made the song what it is as we know it. but i guess jackson likes to make enemys as seen with what he did with paul mcCartney by buying his songs friom under him while asking for advice before he did it by the man himself. is ed that dumb not to ask for compesation ? could he sue today for it ? its not like they are best friends.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FYI...Steve Lukather played the rhythm guitar on that song. And I, for one, couldn't care less if Ed got paid or cited for his work on the song. I think it's safe to assume he's got enough money and enough fame to last him several lifetimes.

What SHOULD be noted, however, is that Thriller sold LARGELY due to success of Beat It, which was sold LARGELY due to the solo on it. That record went to (and sat at) #1, while Ed's own 1984 was limited to #2 because of his own contribution to the #1 album at the time. In a way, Ed had the #1 AND #2 albums on the SAME CHART! That is one fact largely overlooked.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>originally posted by bru
    everytime i watch 'beat it' by micheal jackson it kills me to think he never got paid, never asked or wasnt even compensated by quincy jones or mike never mind not even getting a credit under the song for the music. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Unfortunately the music industry's full of leaches, and some people make a good living at screwing musicians.
    It's true that Ed's made a good living at music, regardless of MJ's taking advantage, but what if he wasn't able to play because of an accident or something like that. He would have been out some major bucks in royalties, and not so much as a thankyou.
    Quincy Jones can go f#%@ himself.
    I know Michael Jackson needs the money.
    After all, buying a new nose every 6 months can get expensive, and he's got enough plastic in his face to build 4 model airplanes.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:

I know Michael Jackson needs the money.
    After all, buying a new nose every 6 months can get expensive, and he's got enough plastic in his face to build 4 model airplanes.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And those model airplanes are THE most expensive one's money can buy. [img]smilies/thumb.gif[/img] Creepy, yet expensive. LOL. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thriller was #1
    1984 was #2

Unfortunately there is no prize for second place. Thriller was number one for a reason, and it wasn't Ed, was just simply at that time number one because it was more popular, and it did have more number one songs on it than 1984 did. I think only 'Jump' was close to a contender for #1 slot, so the better album won sorry to say.

Besides, 1984 wasn't even number 2 calibre in my opinion since that is where we are here, so the better album won that battle rightfully so. As for a guitar solo, so what? wasn't that great of a solo, I alawys thought it sounded cheesy myself, and I remember not believing it was EVH at the time and then though EVH was gay after that *lol*

'Winning isn't everything...
    It's the ONLY thing'...Winners
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay, so 1984 only came in second.

Do you think those 10 million albums they sold helped Eddie deal with the shame so he could sleep at night? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

Even though Ed doesn't get credit on the album, a lot of people DO know that he played the solo on the song. I also think that 'Beat It' did play a role in the success of 'Thriller' but I don't think it was mostly.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    FYI...Steve Lukather played the rhythm guitar on that song. And I, for one, couldn't care less if Ed got paid or cited for his work on the song. I think it's safe to assume he's got enough money and enough fame to last him several lifetimes.

What SHOULD be noted, however, is that Thriller sold LARGELY due to success of Beat It, which was sold LARGELY due to the solo on it. That record went to (and sat at) #1, while Ed's own 1984 was limited to #2 because of his own contribution to the #1 album at the time. In a way, Ed had the #1 AND #2 albums on the SAME CHART! That is one fact largely overlooked.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly...or better yet, WHAT HE SAID!
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed gets credited for the solo on the recently released Special Edition of Thriller... [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If i remember correctly....on a Ed or MJ vh1 interview , maybe even quincy himself i cant remember I could have sworn it was said eddie came up with all the guitar parts as 'Beat it' didnt have a rythm guitar through the song and the song needed that and without ed providing that the song didnt have the rythm guitar it needed to give the song its sound through out. then he came up with the solo. I know I heard this on VH1.

btw: it doesnt matter if ed needed the money or not he should have been compensated for the work he did....do you think MJ would work for ed for free (please keep your commentes to yourself i already know what your gonna add) I think not.

thriller doesnt get all my respect....better than VH 1984 - no way! VH wrote all the music & lyrics, MJ did not on thriller.

[ November 04, 2001 at 08:02 AM: Message edited by: bru77 ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    What SHOULD be noted, however, is that Thriller sold LARGELY due to success of Beat It, which was sold LARGELY due to the solo on it. That record went to (and sat at) #1, while Ed's own 1984 was limited to #2 because of his own contribution to the #1 album at the time. In a way, Ed had the #1 AND #2 albums on the SAME CHART! That is one fact largely overlooked.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To say that Thriller was "Ed's album" is a bit of a stretch. You have to remember that there were other hits on the album, too.

Billie Jean, for instance, was released as a single a few months before Beat It was AND was actually a bigger hit; the 45 sold more copies and stayed at #1 for a longer period.
    The video for Billie Jean also created a little controversy because of the whole banning from MTV deal.

The video for the song Thriller not only helped expand on what could be done in a video, but the buzz from it helped keep the album on the top of the charts through the end of 1983 and the beginning of '84.

The album Thriller was like a musical Himalayans, and Beat It was merely a K2... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com