Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, FWYS
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have questions about the keyboards on the last several tours. On the 5150 tour, Eddie played keyboards and Sammy played guitar on the handful of tracks that required it. Since then Van Halen has claimed that they use a backing track on Eddie playing the keyboards, so he can play the guitar too. Sammy even alluded to it on the 1995 MTV Balance tour special with Jon Stewart. Saying that it is a totally live show, and if you want to call the keyboards cheating on 4 songs, so be it. I always thought it was odd, that a band like VH couldn't just get somebody to play the keys on four songs. The answer always seemed to be that this way you get Eddie playing both. Then the VHE came out, and it says that VH had guys behind the curtain playing they keys in '95 and '98. I beleive on the 3 tour the guys name was John Jessel. I did not buy this, until I got the boot Live in Pennyslvania, and before every keyboard song, Gary Cherone says J.J. as if to cue him up. This just totally odd to me. Saying the keyboards are taped, and then having some guy playing them backstage. Why lie about something like this. Just have the guy out on stage for his four songs and forget it. Just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I had never heard the story about the guy live. I always hated the piped-in taped stuff. I think they did it on Eagle's Fly too, there at some point seemed to be some faint music playing underneath Sammy. Very hard to single it out, but I always thought there was an undercurrent melody from a synth. And Alex used taped music for his Balance Tour solo. I HATE it. I'd rather see a keyboard player on stage than behind, but I'll accept him behind a curtain, as long as it's live. When it's tape, you always wonder what else is on the tape giving the song a boost. I want to hear people playing, live. Warts and all.

[ December 19, 2001 at 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Incredible Edible Dude ]</p>

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I really have no idea why they kept the guy behind the stage. To keep the stage show more focused? I remember reading about Rudy what's his name playing guitar fills for Eddie on tour sometimes.

Is the fellow who did the keyboards in Toto? I seem to recall something about that.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've often wondered about this in relation to Dave returning; obviously they'll do Jump for sure, so how would the keyboards be handled? Personally, I want to hear them live. If that means Eddie plays them, great. But if not, I'd like to see the keyboard player onstage. I don't see anything wrong with visually acknowledging that someone other than the 4 is adding to the music live.

The only problem with Eddie playing them, is the guitar solo. The keyboard solo he did in Jump on the 1984 tour was pretty lame sounding.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MikeL:
    I remember reading about Rudy what's his name playing guitar fills for Eddie on tour sometimes.
    <hr></blockquote>Rudy Leiren, Eddie's guitar tech???

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I really hate the "behind the curtain", or the "piped in music" for a Van Halen show. Come on guys, four people, thats all.

If Ed has to play "Jump" on the keyboards that is fine....Just dont hide someone behind a curtain, or "pipe in" some music. That is so cheesy !!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wonder... back when Sammy was in the band, why didn't they bring in somebody like Jess Harns from the Wabos to play them? Sam and Ed worked with him on INSG. *shrugs* Hell, it's not like Eddie is a keyboard god, someone else can easily cover his work on the keys.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:53 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

I remember Ed also playing keyboards onstage during the Monsters of Rock tour (seems like it was "Dreams"). I can still see it, because he was looking offstage and really chewing someone out while playing. Since then, I don't think he's played them live.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Keyboards: Live or Memorex?

On the next tour, hopefully the answer will be neither.

I can live without Jump
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I could also swear that on the 0U812 tour that some of the backing vocals were dubbed. I remember saying that to myself during a few songs, then I specifically remember hearing Ed and Mikey doing "Mine all Mine" and it was obvious (to me) that there were more voices than just the 2 of them and some DSP. I have always wondered about that.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tripoutski:
    I could also swear that on the 0U812 tour that some of the backing vocals were dubbed. I remember saying that to myself during a few songs, then I specifically remember hearing Ed and Mikey doing "Mine all Mine" and it was obvious (to me) that there were more voices than just the 2 of them and some DSP. I have always wondered about that.<hr></blockquote>

It's done all the time, though. Ozzy has a guy offstage who handles the notes he can't hit anymore, so do several other bands. Samples and synth pads are more commonplace in live shows than you'd imagine, as it's really the only way most bands can pull off some of those multi-layered tracks live. Personally, I thought it was kinda cool seeing Ed play the keys live, but I could live without it. Most of those parts are really more background and complimentary parts than primary leads anyway.

SBS

[ December 20, 2001 at 11:29 AM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]</p>
    What, me, worry?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, I know that it happens all of the time. I used to work in a studio that "fixed" live albums for famous acts. These (and there are a lot of them) so-called live albums could hardly qualify as live recordings (IMHO) when they are released. In previous tours, though, VH would never go there. When I realized what was happening I saw still shocked. More of a "not VH too!" response.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gotta part company with the apparent consensus, here, 'cause I could give a #@(% what Eddie does with the keys. Long as the guitar's live, the keys could be all sequenced, far as a Bug's concerned...
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

DD
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jaybird:
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
    <hr></blockquote>

Haha I cant believe somebody beat me to that line!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, I would imagine that when it came right down to it, if any one of us were actually seeing VH, nobody would care about the keyboards, or where they were!
    ..she got a rainbow that touches her shoulder....

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If n when a re-convened Van Rothin' toured, I would hope they would bring Tugg along or juss let Mikey play the keys on,"And The Cradle Will Rock!!"