Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

GUESS
    Favorite VH Song

CABO
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

KNOWING ED'S PROBLEMS HOW MANY OF YOU THINK THAT ED MIGHT BE DRINKING AGAIN? FUCK I WOULD'NT BLAME HIM SHIT I WOULD HAVE TOSSED DOWN A FEW.
    "ITS ALL OVER BUT THE SHOUTING"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel a move coming on... Speculation...
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

he might be drinking again, but who really knows.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

01.30.06 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If he can't stop smoking, even with cancer, than he sure cannot stop looking at the bottom of the bottle from time to time! [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

PEACE! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You go there once, you'll be there twice" CABO WABO!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

03.03.11 @ 01:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Ed needed the structure of VH, with Dave, Sam or Gary and the structure of his marriage with Val to function as well as he did. Been sober 18 years here and I just divorced in april,SO i can only imagine the temptations Eddie must feel. Ya'll can joke about the drinking( some of the posts about it are funny), but I wouldnt wish alcoholism on my worst enemy.
    It's good to be the King or at least know him.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just find it funny that anyone thinks eddie ever really stopped drinking. I don't ever remember hearing stories of him seeking help. He may of stopped briefly around Balance but my guess is he has never spent more than 2 or 3 months without drinking. How's that for speculation?
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Like the rest of you, I'm stuck with information from tabloids, magazines, the net, and friends of friends of friends...... [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

I must be reading something different than you guys. My understanding is that Val made him go to rehab MULTIPLE times, after which his most successful crack at being sober was around the time of Balance, and then later VH3.

I too doubt that Eddie has sustained any really long period of time w/o getting a buzz. Maybe as a naive fan, I'd like to think he's made it longer than 2-3 months, but who knows.

I'm quite sure that Val has forced him to get all the help in the world. I believe the problem is that he doesn't *stick* with his modified behaviors.

Eddie actually did suck down a few during the recording of a few solos on Balance....his words in the interview I read were that he "..needed to loosen up, because the solos sounded too tight...". A few times he became "...too far gone..." in his words, and had to call it a night. That's not to say that he wasn't predominantly sober during that period, though.

I believe VH3 was the first album he recorded COMPLETELY SOBER, (although we'll never know).

I do know that he took on some weird Yoga/meditation/transe practice from some spiritual guru, and after much practice, it allowed him to mentally enter that physical/mental "state" where he was ready to be creative, without the use of alcohol.

In the end, only Val and a few others know for sure.

I've seen in some of the other threads that it's basically a 'sure thing' that Eddie drinks again. Whether or not he's getting tanked, I don't know. I guess we have to take everything with a grain of salt. It would be easier to do so, if we didn't have to cling on to each and every rumor, but unfortunately, that's the situation that the band (and we, the fans) have put ourselves in.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I base my opinion just on life experience of meeting 'reformed whores' as the saying goes, they're the worst. People who stop drinking, smoking, drugs, random sex with strangers or other life enhancing behaviors usually don't miss let an opportunity go by without talking about the evils of it all. About how they had no life before and how great everything is now blah, blah, blah, blah. I've never heard eddie really say much of that. He has made comments but where is the song on Balance or ExtremeVH telling you to stop drinking? Now I know you can't go by this because EVH seems to be a shy person for the most part but people who kick habits usually spend a great deal of time telling other people who for the most part could care less.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If Eddie is still drinking, he's good at hiding it from the public. He doesn't have any qualms about showing us he still smokes.

From what Sam said, Ed never really quit. If you believe Dave, Ed's still drinking. Has MA ever said anything about it?

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by EDDIE812:
    KNOWING ED'S PROBLEMS HOW MANY OF YOU THINK THAT ED MIGHT BE DRINKING AGAIN? FUCK I WOULD'NT BLAME HIM SHIT I WOULD HAVE TOSSED DOWN A FEW.
    lol....

I'm speechless...
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Redhalen:
    Ya'll can joke about the drinking( some of the posts about it are funny), but I wouldnt wish alcoholism on my worst enemy.
    Seeing this from both sides (the sober side and the alcoholic side), can you honestly see how sick you were and how out of control it was?

Another thing. What about in terms of knowing your state when you're an alcoholic... Are you aware of the fact that you have a problem internally, or are you only in denial to others? Do you honestly lie to yourself in the mirror? Because I can't possibly see how you can, in any situation.

[ July 24, 2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Pabs ]
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Without getting into a lot of personal stuff that we'll never know, I only wish that whatever Ed is going through that he knows that there are a tremendous amount of people that wish him only the best. I believe that he's trying as hard as he can, and unfortunately in his line of work and the public eye, not to mention the other stuff he's been dealing with, he's at a disadvantage. I wish there were a magic pill or something to cure alcoholism because I've seen it wreck too many lives. I love Van Halen and I love Edward and I just don't want to see the music end this way.
    Could this be magic?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed doesn't drink anymore, 'course he might not be drinking any less either!!! [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    "Nothing is fool-proof for a sufficiently talented fool."

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally posted by AVH Blues:
    People who stop drinking, smoking, drugs, random sex with strangers or other life enhancing behaviors usually don't miss let an opportunity go by without talking about the evils of it all. About how they had no life before and how great everything is now blah, blah, blah, blah. I've never heard eddie really say much of that.
    I dunno. Ed went on for quite a bit in his "The King Returns' issue of Guitar World, or whatever it was, about how VH3 was gonna be totally different because of his sobriety and his new meditation and mental & physical state of mind.

I was actually worried he was gonna float across the stage or some sh*t, while Yoda was in the corner juggling rocks.

It actually concerned me that the interview seemed to put forth this "Ghandi with a Guitar" vibe, so obviously we've enterpreted his temporarily sober ramblings in 2 different ways.

That's the beauty of the internet....it allows people from different backgrounds (for me, primarily guitar mags) to encounter different points of view that leave us all more enlightened in the end.

To summarize what I've seen here and other threads, (it's a summary...I'm not stating it as fact), it appears that the concensus of the rumor mill is that not only is Ed drinking again, but he may never have truly ceased to indulge for a period of time that would be considered "lengthy" to someone who is uninformed about alcoholism, such as myself.

The next part of this message is terribly naive and selfish....

I just wish Ed could arrive at a point where he could have 2 or 3 beers every night, salute the crowd, and play on throughout the night like a bad mother f*cker. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Get on stage with Gary Coleman as the frontman....I don't care.....I just wanna see you generally healthy, happy, and playing dude.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Good topic for the Opinions/Speculation forum folks. [img]smile.gif[/img]