Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay, I did some thinking in the car trying to piece everything together in a coherent bundle and came up with an interesting theory. Granted, this does involve a conspiracy, which probably lends it more credibility Now, I don't have dates per se, so some of these things may need to be shifted.

Let us begin Stuff's Retrospective Look on What the Fuck is up with Van Halen:

November

Gary leaves the band. As some of the bits of information has shown us, Gary wasn't their first choice, wasn't happy with the job, and didn't fit well. I'd wager it was a friendly, mutual departure. This leaves Van Halen with no singer and no useable album material (as well as a manager that is more of a liability).

I imagine Danniels immediately tried to find someone new to weasel into the band, but at this stage, I honestly don't think the boys were in a "band" mood, which only served to sever any psychological hold Danniels may have had on the brothers VH.

Between now and the end of the year I imagine the band sits down informally to discuss all the items at hand. Should they continue as a band? Should they get a new singer? Should they get an old singer back? Should they get new management? I doubt any resolutions were made until the turn of the new year.

Meanwhile, DLR is promoting the DLR Band, or more precisely, himself. He gets wind of the breakup and probably realizes if he plays it smart he could have his job back. Therefore he stops bad-mouthing the group and continues to play an all VH set to "prove he can still do it."

Top priority becomes physical healing. Eddie gets his hip replaced and his tongue worked on, going into a medical treatment to prevent cancer. These events probably occurred before the story broke nationwide, maybe even three plus months before.

During this time the band probably decides that they should talk with DLR and see if maybe they can heal the past wounds. They meet, shoot the breeze, jam, whatever. Things go okay, but everyone is somewhat apprehensive. Soon they've decided they can actually work together again, at least on a tentative basis ("baby steps"). About this time Val publically promotes Dave's tour, telling people to go out and see it.

Dave's tour wraps up, and he's off to 5150 to discuss terms. One of which the four all come to agree with is that Danniels has to go, but his contract has him nailed in. About this time, WB approaches the band with the idea of remastering their albums for re-release. A light flashes in the band's head and they cut a deal with Danniels. He gets a cut of the profit on the remasters until the end of 2000 in exchange for stepping down as the manager of the band. At this time, the hunt for a new manager progresses as the remasters get under way and some studio work (not nearly enough to complete an album) gets done. The band maybe gets one track laid down.

Finally the group decides on a new management firm and they take active control over VH. First thing they suggest is better web presence, as this will be a crucial point of access to the mass market when the band makes its comback. Bradman spends some time redesigning the site as a result, launching the new VH site early enough to totally debug and test it by the time the traffic should arrive.

With problems out of the way, the band heads to the studio to do more work. The remasters are completed and released with no promotion per VH's request - they may have to sign a bit of the profits over to Danniels, but they don't have to push them any more than necessary, especially since the upcoming album will boost sales in the coming year. Sammy's Ten13 promotion kicks off. Suddenly, VH/the management gets a genius idea. There hasn't been a lot of VH in the press lately, and suddenly Sammy is now everywhere. A call is placed to Sammy and a deal is cut - he'll mention that the band only got four tracks finished (truth - they only had four finished tracks that will be used at this time) and has broken up with Dave again. This insures VH is everywhere again, and when they break big again next year, Sammy can ride the wave to the top with them through association. Sammy figures he has nothing to lose so why not? Ten13 is released.

That brings us to the present

THE FUTURE - REST OF 2000

VH continues to work in the studio, laying down the rest of the tracks with Dave (work was slow at first as they had to feel each other out and have a spat or two along the way). They finish the album by Christmas and take a well-deserved break.

THE FUTURE - 2001

The album masters are sent off to WB in mid-January and the process of artwork and promotion is planned out. The first single is chosen and the band goes to work on filming the video while planning a tour for the spring/summer and working all the details out. In mid-february the band officially announces they are back together with DLR and have a new album due out in March. Following the announcement, the first single debuts on the radio and v-h.com simultaneously. The promotion machine starts moving full steam and builds to a fever pitch by early March when the album is released.

And here my theory stops.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well let us all hope that your theorie is the only rightfull one, and we can look forward to an 2001 year full with blastin VH again, hopefully they also will tour europe as well an the will visit my little country Holland also.

Hope it works out for the best

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dude, do you have a life There are some holes in your theory I think.

The Roth tour was more or less over in 1999 as far as I remember. Certainly Val encouraging people to see that tour was in 1999 *before* Gary's departure was announced.
    Dave also stopped badmouthing VH before Gary departed.

Ray Danniels may be an asshole but he isn't stupid. I doubt whether he'd take a cut of the remasters in lieu of the potential megabucks from a Roth reunion album/tour.

I agree that cancer scare must have partially screwed up the timetable. Val seemed to indicate that it was discovered around Feb rather than May when we heard the Houston story. If Dave was even back by then it must have held things up.

I just can't imagine Sammy being part of a conspiracy. It's not his style.

My guess is along the lines of:

late 1999 - it was clear that the new album was going nowhere after 10 months in the studio. I wouldn't be at all surprised if DLR was contacted long before November 5th 1999.

Danniels must have been fired the same time as Gary. There was no way he would be managing a reunited VH after 1996. This led to legal problems which are still being resolved.

Dave recorded an album with VH which is finished or close to being finished. I don't believe the 4 song rumour mainly because cast-iron legal contracts were almost certainly signed by DLR, VH and WB since so much money is at stake.

I agree with your 2001 prediction

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jonathan, a hole less or more as long as DLR will be back it's fine by me

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 21 Posts

I agree that DLR is back in the fold, but believe that Warner Bros. had a lot more to do with the reunion than you suggest.

My theory:
    (1) I believe that WB gave Ed an ultimatum after hearing early recordings from the follow up to III: fire Gary and reunite with Dave or get a new label.
    (2) Dave and Ed were personally approached by WB (perhaps through Ted Templeman, who these guys love like a brother) about another try at a reunion.
    (3) Each side knew that "management" was an impediment to a reunion - so Ed fired Ray Danniels and Dave fired Ed Anderson. Each side has kept their separate personal staffs originally and are using mega-agents CAA to line up key components of what-is-sure-to-be the biggest tour of 2001.
    (4) All involved have agreed to a tight gag order until everything is nailed down. Personal credibility of all the players would be shot if there was another fiasco like 1996. Ed would eliminate all doubt as to whether he is a prick. And Dave could not feign innocence again and it would be clear to all that Dave is desperate to rejoin the band. It would be pathetic.
    (5) No news IS good news. If VH was really over, both Dave and Ed would have announced their next projects. Dave is the master of self-promotion (despite his recent lack of success that can be attributed to Big Ed) and Peavey has too much money invested in Ed not to be pushing him to do something, even if it is soundtrack work.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll admit, the Sammy thing is a stretch. I just think it's odd how he suddenly starts repeating, almost verbatum, the exact same story in every press release at a point when VH rumors are at their lowest...

But, as I said, I didn't have the chance to check my facts for dates, meaning yes, some things need to be moved around, and your revisions to my theory make perfect sense.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that Smokin' 5150 is right all the way. Dave is back, and we better look out to the future, something is boiling overthere in camp VH

DLR the man they need to get back on top

proudmember of the Daimond Mafia

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug (of course)
    Last Online

07.31.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow interesting and logical insight. Time will only tell but I feel that your timeline is fairly accurate of how the story will be told when it is announced. I guess i have to stay out of the Rumor Mill as i've become so jaded. Nice to see a list where people actualy think before they post.
    thanks

------------------
    Live from Arnolds Drive-IN......