Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 21 Posts

Things go from bad to worse:

(1) VH has all but abandoned its fans. Thanks for giving a shit about 9.11, guys. Would it have hurt to have Brad put a flag on that shitty official site?

(2) Dave, who with Sammy appears to be the only ones who care about the fans, creates a website that is like Kubrick on acid -- except that I can't get the fucking thing to fit on my screen. While this new site is admittedly 1,000,000 times better than the shitty orange crap of a site created by TK (dickheads, I'd stiff you on the bill for that P.O.S., too), I would love Dave to string a coherent thought together -- just once. As best as I could understand it -- Dave has something in the works (hell yeah) but it appears to be with Johnny 5 and the VH cover band he's touring with. Is there any chance that, if a reunion ain't happening, Dave could shelve the ego and get some real players that may bring a bit more credibility, as least musically. Dave can't be taken seriously with a guitar player who pretended to be Ed in a tribute band. Get Warren DiMartini, George Lynch, Jake Lee, or some other player and make some original music.

I don't know about the other posters and lurkers around here, but VH is starting to become a trivia question -- what ever happened to... -- and a band I USED to love. Now they are just a group I listen to. Big difference. A big fucking difference.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Smokin'...

I understand and feel your pain. However, there seems to be a lot of bloodletting going on over under the BOYCOTT thread. You might get a little more relief if you hopped over there.

Just a suggestion. I feel your pain though. [img]smile.gif[/img] Nice analogy about Kubrick on acid...LMAO!
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Smokin' 5150:
    (1) VH has all but abandoned its fans. Thanks for giving a shit about 9.11, guys. Would it have hurt to have Brad put a flag on that shitty official site?<hr></blockquote>Wasn't there an American flag at half mast on the official VH website right after the tragedy? I seem to recall that there was.

I go in stages of being frustrated with VH for lack of communication. But I really don't understand why anyone is upset with them for remaining silent in the wake of September 11th. I guess it's a sign of the times, and how much weight is given to a celebrity opinion, but why exactly are we any more interested in Eddie Van Halen's opinion of September 11th than we are of our own opinions? They're just people, it's not like they have any special insight into the tragedy, or how to bounce back from it.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>(2) Dave, who with Sammy appears to be the only ones who care about the fans<hr></blockquote>I don't really give Dave all that much credit for being fan friendly. He's played a few shows, that's great, but any statements he makes tend to require an interpreter to understand. Dave's style of saying a lot, but still saying nothing, has really lost its charm to me. I wish he'd either say something concrete and coherent, or just say nothing at all.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>As best as I could understand it -- Dave has something in the works (hell yeah) but it appears to be with Johnny 5 and the VH cover band he's touring with. Is there any chance that, if a reunion ain't happening, Dave could shelve the ego and get some real players that may bring a bit more credibility, as least musically. Dave can't be taken seriously with a guitar player who pretended to be Ed in a tribute band. Get Warren DiMartini, George Lynch, Jake Lee, or some other player and make some original music.<hr></blockquote>I totally agree with you here. I think Dave needs to get on with things (perhaps he is, we'll have to wait and see) and leave VH behind. If that doesn't motivate Eddie and the guys to get Dave back, Dave's no worse off, and he's further down the highway of career resurrection. I don't want the VH show from Dave, I want the Dave show from Dave.

Great post Smokin', I'm gonna send it over to the Opinions/Speculation Forum. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ December 27, 2001 at 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Wasn't there an American flag at half mast on the official VH website right after the tragedy? I seem to recall that there was. <hr></blockquote>

At first there was a blank black page for about two days. Only after much "protest" to Brad basically saying, "What's going on?" did he put up an image of a flag at half mast.

Much like VH's PR as of late. Only after an "outside" source (DLR, a fansite, etc...) makes an outcry of some kind, does the band say anything publically. I bet if DLR or Grant or Rol would have kept their mouths shut, VH wouldn't have said a single word the past two years (save for the golf interview). [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Smokin' 5150:
    Is there any chance that, if a reunion ain't happening, Dave could shelve the ego and get some real players that may bring a bit more credibility, as least musically. Dave can't be taken seriously with a guitar player who pretended to be Ed in a tribute band. Get Warren DiMartini, George Lynch, Jake Lee, or some other player and make some original music.

<hr></blockquote>

While this may seem like a good idea at first, there is something to keep in mind:

The LAST person any 'known' guitarists are going to want to work with right now is David Lee Roth.

Before you all think I'm nuts for saying that, consider what they'd be up against. No matter WHAT type of music they would be doing, it's going to be held up against the original Van Halen standard. Very few guitarists really want that held over their heads.

It takes a certain ego and mindset to walk into a situation like that. Even though Vai did a good job of 'replacing' Eddie, keep in mind that he was generally unknown to the world when he joined with Roth. Outside of the fans he acquired through his work with Zappa, he was essentially a nobody.

Jason Becker was known only to the guitarists of the world when he joined Roth's band. Even though his playing was fine, there was always the 'Eddie cloud' hovering above him.

While these guys both had a certain identity all their own, anything they did with Roth was always being compared (and usually not favorably) to Eddie's work.

As an unknown player, a gig with Roth would be a great way for me to at least gain some exposure. Since I'm 'nobody', I would have little to lose in terms of my identity. However, if a 'big-name' player were to play with Roth, whatever style they have would be held under scrutiny, ie "how does (insert player's name here)'s style compare to Eddie Van Halen?". Even if someone were to totally blow the world away with their ability, the vast majority of people would simply brush it off as being SUB-Eddie, and their efforts, no matter how valiant, would likely be wasted on the world at large.

Given the fickle mindset of music fans these days, a black mark on one's "permanent record" could usher in the demise of that player's career.

Plus, like it or not, Dave is looked upon (by the majority of today's record-buying public) as a washed-up caricature of everything "80's", which is a persona (and reputation) that few famous players would wish to associate themselves with nowadays, since most are struggling just to keep their careers alive.

Personally, I think it would be a good idea for Dave to get a 'real' band instead of the 'unknowns' he keeps surrounding himself with, but looking at it from the potential guitarist's point of view, I can't see it happening. (or, if it did happen, I can't see it succeeding)

When Sammy left VH, he was in a similar situation, and look at his current band; they aren't exactly in the "Who's Who in the History of Rock and Roll".

In short, a gig with Dave is probably the LAST thing most players would want right now.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I don't really give Dave all that much credit for being fan friendly. He's played a few shows, that's great, but any statements he makes tend to require an interpreter to understand. Dave's style of saying a lot, but still saying nothing, has really lost its charm to me. I wish he'd either say something concrete and coherent, or just say nothing at all.

quote:[ December 27, 2001 at 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]
    <hr></blockquote>
    What are you talking about? If it wasn't for Dave, we would NEVER have known that he recorded with Van Halen. WTF was their lame ass response, "Rumors are just rumors" WTF was that? How can you deny DLR credit for communicating with his fans? On the past tour, there were plenty of recorded messages directed towards the fans at his website, and written messages, he has done interviews, and I personally have no problem understanding what Dave says, and the transcripts can be re-read over and over for those who don't understand what he states.

Dave has stated TWICE in RADIO interviews THAT THERE IS NO VAN HALEN REUNION GOING ON RIGHT NOW, TWICE!!!!! He never said, "I dunno, it's outta my hands...", HE SAID NO REUNION, that's prettyt clear to me. He has stated that he is doing a solo album and a DVD to go along with it. Dave is also the only one to say that he ACTUALLY WANTS a Van Halen reunion.

Van Halen only respond after he or anyone else(rols, Grant, etc) ever say anything....

[ December 27, 2001 at 08:46 PM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]</p>

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    [qb]
    What are you talking about? If it wasn't for Dave, we would NEVER have known that he recorded with Van Halen. WTF was their lame ass response, "Rumors are just rumors" WTF was that? How can you deny DLR credit for communicating with his fans? On the past tour, there were plenty of recorded messages directed towards the fans at his website, and written messages, he has done interviews, and I personally have no problem understanding what Dave says, and the transcripts can be re-read over and over for those who don't understand what he states.

Dave has stated TWICE in RADIO interviews THAT THERE IS NO VAN HALEN REUNION GOING ON RIGHT NOW, TWICE!!!!! He never said, "I dunno, it's outta my hands...", HE SAID NO REUNION, that's prettyt clear to me. He has stated that he is doing a solo album and a DVD to go along with it. Dave is also the only one to say that he ACTUALLY WANTS a Van Halen reunion.

Van Halen only respond after he or anyone else(rols, Grant, etc) ever say anything....

[ December 27, 2001 at 08:46 PM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]
    <hr></blockquote>

So true. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.24.08 @ 02:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheer up! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT, WACF, FW
    Favorite VH Song

Loss of Control
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Plus, like it or not, Dave is looked upon (by the majority of today's record-buying public) as a washed-up caricature of everything "80's", which is a persona (and reputation) that few famous players would wish to associate themselves with nowadays, since most are struggling just to keep their careers alive.

<hr></blockquote>
    Spot on. Much of Dave's decline has probably due to the fact that he isn't regarded as a musician or regarded as a decent singer. The blame for a lot of this can be put at Dave's door. Sure he wrote the words for VH during his time with the band but most of the songwriting was credited to Ed. So at the end of the day, after leaving VH (and he was the one that bloody left, the daft prick) he had a reputation as a party animal and showman, and that was it.
    I'm a big fan of solo-Sting and he's as good an example of someone striking out on their own as you can find. He was songwriter-in-chief in The Police and so took those kudos with him when the band split. Also, he hasn't restricted himself to one genre and so has a wide fanbase. I know people will say Dave has tried different things, but has he really? Gigolo, Cal Girls and what else? What else wouldn't have been touched on by VH anyway, if he'd stayed in the band? (Disclaimer: I've never heard YFLM or DLR Band, so if I'm out of order here I accept that.)
    Lastly, Sting has worked with really well respected musicians and formed long lasting working relationships with them. This adds to critical acceptability of his music which, like it or not, plays a huge part in it's overall success. Again, Dave hasn't really done this. The spectre of Eddie probably has had a lot to do with this when it comes to guitarists but, really, the only players of note were those on EEAS and Skyscraper. He also has a reputation as a whip-cracker with those working for him (Billy Sheehan has hinted at this over the years.)
    I know this comes across as a total Dave-slam but it's more out of frustration than anything else, and I can put forward easily as many things I love about the guy. But he messed up big time by leaving VH and thinking he had the musical chops to succeed longterm. He then dug a hole for himself for becoming a parody of himself instead of moving on. I really hope for his sake, and mine, that he gets back with VH.
    Use my hand, I won't look!

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ScottRoberts:

Much like VH's PR as of late. Only after an "outside" source (DLR, a fansite, etc...) makes an outcry of some kind, does the band say anything publically. I bet if DLR or Grant or Rol would have kept their mouths shut, VH wouldn't have said a single word the past two years (save for the golf interview). [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    <hr></blockquote>

Bingo! I said the same thing once or twice in past topics. Thank God, Roth spoke in April or we wouldn't have heard shit from Edward. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]