Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: I am tired

Hot For Teacher Downtown Stevie's Avatar
    Kentuckian by birth Wildcat by the grace of GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Woman in love
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 10:41 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

... off all the negitive crap in here. I dont post a lot but I have been coming here longer than most of you have known about this place. I read the board everyday. And from what I can tell a lot of people have their undies in a bunch claiming that Eddie let them down. Get a life and get off his ass people. If Eddie or the band never touches a stage again so be it. I have been a fan of Van Halen since I saw them open for Black Sabbith in 1978 there some fans as big as me but none bigger. Hell I named my son who was born in 1990 Samuel Edward. My point is I would love to see and hear new music tomorrow but if Eddie has decided to shut it down the least we owe him and the band is a thank you for a great ride and not piss and moan because he chooses not to do anything right now. I keep reading where Eddie gave up on us? Here is a news flash people Eddie owes you nothing !!!!. The only people Ed or anyone elses owes anything to is his friends and family and maybe that is what he is concentrating on now. I feel that the music biz has become work to Ed and how many of you if you had the money are were able to would quit your job right now and kick back and take it easy? I would maybe he is doing that and if I had health problems and had to put up with fans and a record company stuck in 1984 hell I might just walk away too. If Van halen tours next week I will be right there if they never tour again I will disspointed but not mad ,people have to remember Eddie is thinking of himself what is best for him just like everybody else who says they are pissed now because he is not doing what you want him to do.And one more thing for the people who think Van halen is nothing without David Lee Roth if they do tour you just stay home that way I will get a better seat!
    Who do you think you are? I am !!
    - Bowling Great Pete Weber

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Downtown Stevie:
    Here is a news flash people Eddie owes you nothing !!!!. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This argument is gettinī very old !!!!

If he and the band owes us fans nothing,
    why does he say "we stay in touch" at the official web site ?
    Why the NAMM video ?
    Why the statements about the status of the band at the "smokin golf tour"?
    Why let the rumours grow ?
    and so on and so on ....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Moving to opinions guys [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What age is Eddie these days? Perhaps he's just going through a mid-life crisis. The people I've talked to that suffered it basically say it's like being a teen again and all the hell that comes with it. THAT would explain why he's acting loopy.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    What age is Eddie these days? Perhaps he's just going through a mid-life crisis. The people I've talked to that suffered it basically say it's like being a teen again and all the hell that comes with it. THAT would explain why he's acting loopy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding of the matter is that it's not the BIOLOGICAL age that matters, but the station in life. Once you've gotten to the point where you perceive that you can no longer 'advance' at your occupation, you hit the mid-life crisis. We (sadly) define ourselves too much by our occupations, and that is the result. People don't act loopy like teenagers again, but they certainly suffer the self-doubt and symptoms of depression that often accompany teenager-ism.

When people hit this stage, they usually find (shallow) means of proving their validity and vitality to those around them. Often, guys buy sporty or overpriced cars, fashionable clothes, chase young women, etc.

Ed is a musician; he doesn't have a corporate ladder staring at him every day, but if he hit his mid-life crisis, I would imagine that it happened in 1981. I know it sounds early, but remember, he was tiring of the band, he was getting married, etc. How did he overcome the crisis? Listen to his playing on Fair Warning.

As for now, I think he's just goofy. Period. Not for any definable reason; he's just goofing off a lot.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

why doesn't ED just retire then? if i was ED
    i would do what CLAPTON is doing. i would have done a final tour with DAVE and then continued to make music at my leisure. i wonder if anyone is receptive to the idea of them not touring? i am still a fan of their music just not them. SAMMY is the only one who hasn't led us on saying were going to tour even though we don't have a lead singer.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

just what are you trying to say mister? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ............anyway, you re going to get some opposition on your post(and deservedly so) some agreement too though....i think im coping pretty good myself...but eddie and van halen handled this badly,they kept people in the dark and lead the fans on plain and simple and that wasnt right...and im a HUGE eddie fan and always will be but eddie has weirded out a bit as of late...... and dont give me the sick thing if he s sick its his buisness and i dont feel like debating weather he s sick or not.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Actually, Abe, but your own statement you could construe things to show why he would be having a (second?) mid-life crisis right now.

Maybe he's beginning to think that the public will no longer accept just anything he produces in mass quantities and that, for the first time in his career, his ability to choose the people he wants to work with is limited. I'd say that could make someone feel like their ability to progress in their chosen field has been limited.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Actually, Abe, but your own statement you could construe things to show why he would be having a (second?) mid-life crisis right now.

Maybe he's beginning to think that the public will no longer accept just anything he produces in mass quantities and that, for the first time in his career, his ability to choose the people he wants to work with is limited. I'd say that could make someone feel like their ability to progress in their chosen field has been limited.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes sir indeed. You've got a point there. Actually, you've got....THREE (nah, forget it) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

No matter how you slice it, Ed's got a LOT to prove with his next (assuming there IS a next) release. Whatever project it may be, there is probably more pressure on him now than ever before, both external and internal.

If we ASSUME that my 1981 crisis theory is true, (supposition, I know) then at least we know that he has the potential to harness his problems and focus the energy into music. Whether or not he can do it again, I don't know. I wasn't looking at him under a microscope in 1981. I may have been somewhat precocious as a kid, but not THAT much! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

If he does work with Dave, he is kinda stuck into the mold of 'Eddie Van Halen-guitar wizard'. If he is hoping to further his reputation as "Edward Van Halen-serious musician", then he would be taking a commercial risk greater than VH3. If he is trying to do both, he is risking ALL of his reputations (guitarist, songwriter, etc), as well as those of whom he works with. Not an enviable position for someone who may be struggling with their ego.

What it ultimately comes down to is the choice between pleasing his fans and pleasing himself. For the most part, I don't think the fans are likely to be very receptive to Edward the artiste after the last 5 years of bullshit. At the same time, he may just resent all the fans that didn't accept VH3, and may be thinking "fuck them" in his subconscious.

Obviously, he doesn't need the money of a reunion. If his health is at all fragile, the tour that would accompany said reunion would likely be his last. I've seen so many athletes hold press conferences upon retiring, and they really have a hard time giving it all up. Some (Steve Young comes to mind) would prefer to destroy their health to remain amongst the glory of their fields than move on to something else.

Damn...this is a fucked up situation. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hopefully the pressure doesn't drive them to song doctors like it did Aerosmith. Personally I'd rather they labor as commercial has-beens than have more non-members writing songs than members.