Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

All signs (IMO) point towards no reunion with Dave anytime soon if ever. He's got a new guitar player
    supposedly recording a DVD. Van Halen meanwhile seem to be doing nothing much "newsworthy' or
    positive at least. There's nothing which remotely suggests that Dave and VH are even talking to each other let alone working together..........except things that Mike has (allegedly said) recently..

I believe Mike has said these things, I just don't believe they are happening. So is Mike

1. Misinformed
    2. Fucking with people
    3. Trying to pressure VH into saying/doing something?
    4. Smoking too much crack

[ February 08, 2002 at 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]</p>
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Jonathan:
    1. Misinformed
    2. Fucking with people
    3. Trying to pressure VH into saying/doing something?
    4. Smoking too much crack
    Hard to imagine he's misinformed. Why would Eddie EVER give Mikey the impression that Dave was just about to return, when it seems like it'll never happen, and certainly not soon?

Is he fucking with people? What would he have to gain by doing that? The only thing I can think of is that maybe his bass company is leaning on him, so he got nervous and wanted to appear like he's in an active band.

Number 3 seems the most probable of the list, but then again it's delusional to think that Mikey is going to pressure the VH brothers into anything.

Crack? Doubt it. Maybe the mullet has taken over his brain.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Eddie seems to be doing a lot of legal stuff (and not much music stuff). Maybe Mike's "salary" is being renegotiated based on the fact that VH is not making any new profits....or at least Mike suspects that while Eddie tells him not to worry........or maybe he's just getting impatient and bored and considering splitting.
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I wonder how much money Mikey makes on the Roth catalogue as compared to the other guys? He's listed as being an equal on the songwriting sheets, but does he actually get the same cheques as the rest of them? If it's true that he's a salaried musician, at what point did he become salaried?

My first instinct is to say that Mikey would always be loyal, and go down with the ship if that's what was required of him. But if he's getting screwed on the financial side, I can see him getting fed up. Live, he carries A LOT of weight for the band; either Dave is busy running around or Sammy has lost a bit of the top part of his range. Mikey is the guy that fills that gap, and always has, and he's always been dead on with it. To turn around and have the band paying you a relatively minimal salary while the other guys are raking in the bucks would be a huge insult, and one that I could see Mikey getting tired of.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good point, but I'd imagine that Mike's minimal salary (for doing nothing, at present) is at least ten times what I make to sit in an office 50-60 hours a week.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

VH fans seem to split into two camps: Those that think the VH brothers couldn't possibly be screwing Mike because he's integral to the sound, and those who think Mike is getting screwed......... if you see what I mean [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you look at the publishing rights to VH songs you'll see that the money basically goes into one publishing account for Van Halen. When Gary was in the band he had his own publishing company for at least some of the songs, Dave seems to have renegotiated so he has his own individual publishing for his songs if I remember correctly (look at www.ascap.com).

I'm guessing that they all got paid equally from the VH publishing co. when Dave was in the band, then changed the split when Sammy joined. I'd also guess that Sammy gets paid his percentage from that "account" and probably Ray Danniels did too. Mike probably got a salary or a lesser split........EVH didn't appreciate his contribution as much as we do But it was probably still a lot more than most of us get paid......

But now, Eddie seems (ironically...."then lawyers got involved") seems to be doing a lot of
    his own legal/litigation stuff and not much in the way of music. Maybe he's telling Mike "don't worry, we'll get Dave back and then you'll make some money but meanwhile you're not really earning anything right now".....

.....ok, maybe not that harsh, but maybe Mike is getting bored/worried/concerned...
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I hope Mikey doesn't end up having to pawn his watch collection.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Glenn:
    I hope Mikey doesn't end up having to pawn his watch collection.
    ........or fire his webmaster

I bet Yamaha is getting pissed too.
    Delusions of eloquence

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't like to say it cuz I like the guy, but I'm convinced that Mike is scared to death of the Van Halen brothers. If Mike ever felt free to give his take on things, I'm sure that we'd hear that Ed could be just as difficult to work with as Dave.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I am sure Mike is tired of waiting for the bros., but will remain loyal to them because he would always want to be a part of VH.

But, why does he have to have his own individual website ? Seems a little odd to me.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really don't think Mikey may be off doing other things for financial issues. I truly believe it's because he's sick and tired of waiting around for Ed to get his shit together. That's really why Dave left in 1985.

I also think that Dave was not Mike's problem. He was more Eddie's problem. He probably told fans that Dave will be doing it for the simple reason that it looked like that was where it was going. But Ed was confirmed better and it seemed that Dave wasn't coming back, they had to split with Warners and Mikey said, "Fuck this!" I did read in Dave's book something to the effect that he did sometimes have fun times with Mike and I remember him saying on Stern that he didn't really have a problem with Mikey. Who knows? But Mike is doing other shit (IMHO) because he feels like working and Eddie feels like sitting on his ass.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I seem to recall in those chapters from the Sammy book that Sam claimed Mike was basically on payroll and didn't get an equal cut of the royalties. Raw deal indeed.

Of course, if you believe Sam when he said his opinion was Eddie did bass on the recording of 3, it looks like Mike is the touring band member only. Granted, the bass is so nonexistant on 3 that I can't tell by comparison with boots...
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."