Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm what the Eddie fans refer to as a "Dave Head". My last Van Halen album in my collection is 1984. To my credit I did own 5150 and F.U.C.K., but I only had those on tape and the tapes are garbage/lost now. I have every CD Dave has ever put out. Ever since they broke up in 1984 I've wanted them to reunite, but settled for Dave solo. Over the years I grew to dislike the Sammy era mainly because I felt he was what was standing in the way of a reunion with Dave. Now I'm older and I hope wiser and I see that I wasted all of that energy disliking the Sammy era. Sure it was different, but the main reason I didn't like it was because it wasn't Van Halen to me and I wanted that back. But I never blamed Eddie for Dave leaving. I didn't know what happened. I just knew my favorite band was gone.

Then in 1996 my prayers were answered, or so I thought. I'll never forget when I heard the news that Sammy was fired from VH. I was in my car driving home from work. My heart skipped a beat and I remember cheering at the top of my lungs as the DJ said, "Rumor has it Dave is back in the band!" then the DJ played "Meanstreat" and I just cranked my stereo. I'm excited now thinking back about it.

Then Eddie did it. Eddie rained on my parade. I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive him for the trick he played on everyone all in the name of selling records. I'll never forget the interview I saw with him and Alex on MTV bashing Dave for what we all know was "Dave just being Dave". Of all people Eddie knows what Dave is like. He didn't do anything wrong unless you'd call getting the fans excited wrong.

Anyway, that's my story. That in part is why I support Dave and not Eddie. That's why part of me doesn't want a reunion. Part of me wants Eddie to try again and fail even worse next time. But deep down I know I want to see the four of them together again because it was simply magical. Even though I have all of Dave's solo stuff, none of it is as good as when he was in Van Halen. But here we are six years later and Eddie's still raining on my parade.

The worst thing about it all is that he doesn't even care... [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great story, man. And all I can say is...I've been there. So fucking true! Eddie Van Halen is truly an asshole.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was a beautiful post. I totally agree.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what could have been with regards to Van Halen and the surrounding players. I'm primarily a fan of the first incarnation of the band, but I still find myself more and more pointing the finger at Dave. While I don't think any of the guys are innocent, I fault Dave first because he's the one that broke the bond before anyone else. Even now, though I think it's pretty safe to say that Eddie is the main person keeping the guys apart, I just can't overlook that the mistrust that Eddie feels is linked directly to Dave's leaving in the first place.

Eddie was in a bad place emotionally in 1985, and Dave didn't want to go down with the ship, he wanted to play 'Women and Dave First'. That was his choice, but I think a lot of the problems that exist now are directly attributed to Dave's 1985 decision. Eddie was a foreign kid in a foreign land as a youth, and he learned to rely on a very small group of people, seemingly mostly family. With people like that, you rarely get a second chance to let them down. It's one and out.

Anyway, interesting point of view. Let's keep this going in the Opinions forum. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's an interesting way of looking at it Glenn. What was going on with Eddie emotionally in 85? I know he had a drinking problem. Is that what you're referring to?

I don't know for sure what happened in 85. Dave said in his book that VH didn't want to get to work on the next project so he went and did a side project (California Girls EP). When that went double platinum I think Dave's head swelled even further. That combined with Eddie getting totally pissed about Dave doing a solo project probably led to him leaving. Only the VH boys and Dave know for sure though.

So I don't know who to blame in 85. I do know who to blame though in 96, and that was much worse than anything Dave did regardless in my opinion. Six years later and it still really irks me what happened back then.

It's just a band (or was one), you'd think I could get over that! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by dj88:
    What was going on with Eddie emotionally in 85? I know he had a drinking problem. Is that what you're referring to?
    That's part of it, along with a drug problem. Plus, I would speculate that along with those addictions came a lot of pressure from his wife; not necessarily a bad thing since she probably saw that he was killing himself.

My theory is that Eddie was slipping into something of a drug fog at that time, and rather than stick around for the potential demise of everything they'd worked for, Dave chose to leave and salvage his own name. I also believe that Crazy From the Heat (the ep) was conceived much earlier than Dave lets on, as a way to test the waters to see if a solo career was feasible.

Another thing that I don't feel has even been properly pursued is the link between Eddie and his father. Eddie's Dad was a musician who never made a living from his music, but Eddie worshipped the man all the same. I often wonder how much guilt EVH had from that; knowing that he was making millions from his music while his Dad never made a dime. That kind of guilt can lead a person to be self-destructive if they're not emotionally sound enough to come to grips with things. Eddie has never had the reputation as being the most sound guy on the block, but throw drug and alcohol addiction on top of that, along with what many would consider a degree of musical genius, and you've got a recipe for instability.

I think Dave acted a bit too 'Dave' at the MTV awards, but nothing that should have ruined things; as it turns out, of course, it wasn't going to happen anyway.

But take an event from your own life; seeing an old girlfriend that you had a shitty break-up from, if you see them ten years later, all of a sudden your whole physical being tightens up as everything comes flashing back at once. Or if you've ever dealt with an alcoholic on a regular basis; if you're lucky enough to get away from it, coming back into contact with it suddenly just jolts you right back (physically and emotionally) to the past.

That's what I think probably happens to Eddie whenever Dave enters the room. While there's a love there, it's also a constant reminder of a bad time in Eddie's life, when he was at a low point, only to be dumped by his partner.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 1,346 Times in 923 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    ...I also believe that Crazy From the Heat (the ep) was conceived much earlier than Dave lets on, as a way to test the waters to see if a solo career was feasible...
    I would find this theory easier to buy if Dave had included 1 or 2 songs that were more in the Van Halen / future Dave solo vein. I just don't see how dragging out 4 ten or more year old chestnuts would be a way to test the solo waters for anyone. And really, who in their right mind would've picked "Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody" - the oldest song in the bunch - to be the hit it was? I know as a Dave fan I'm automatically biased, but I just see that EP as Dave letting loose and finding a surprise hit on his hands - nothing intended from Dave's part.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since we don't know for sure what really happened in 85 all we can do is speculate. If things went down simular to your speculation I could see how Eddie would be hurt by that. A lot of things were said over the years between Dave and Eddie (and Alex) and that only made things worse.

But now we get to 1996. Sammy is out. Dave calls and says essentially "I'm sorry, can we get past this fued"? He held out the olive branch and Eddie took it, but not in good faith. Maybe this was his way of getting back at Dave for all the pain he caused him in 85? Personally I feel it was just a ploy to sell BOV1 (and it worked).

I could put the blame on Dave for 1985. I'm sure his head was bigger than ever after the success of Crazy From The Heat. Maybe he wanted all of the spotlight? I don't know. I feel comfortable giving Dave at least most of the blame for the 85 breakup though.

The thing I just can't get over no matter what the reason was, is what Eddie pulled in 1996. It's bad enough to trick Dave into thinking he's back. But to trick the fans like me that had been waiting all those years for the reunion into thinking he was back all in the name of selling BOV1 was just plain cruel. Like I've said before, I don't think I can ever forgive Eddie for that.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 538 Times in 321 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yup, all depends on the point of view. I guess the more I post and think about these things, I'm more of an Eddie fan than a fan of any of the singers. I don't, however, think he is blameless. I also, however, don't necessarily buy into the Eddie is an asshole theories. Too many people saying he's a great guy. I posted another time on this saying most of Eddie's actions, if seen through the eyes of insecurity and addictive personality, can be explained away without him being an asshole. I don't KNOW that's the case, and won't be hypocritical saying it is a fact. BUT, Eddie has long been described as a VERY insecure person who hid behind alcohol because he was afraid. I can tell you, as a person who has been very insecure at times myself, that my actions have sometimes been interpreted as egotistical, even though ego had nothing to do with it. If you put me in a certain spot, I get nasty because I can't figure out how to handle it differently, but it get's interpreted as arrogant and superior, when it is actually an internal response to self doubt. Like I said, if you view Eddie's actions from a certain outlook, they make sense. I don't KNOW that to be the case, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, since I don't have the "real" scoop.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by billy007:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Glenn:
    ...I also believe that Crazy From the Heat (the ep) was conceived much earlier than Dave lets on, as a way to test the waters to see if a solo career was feasible...
    I would find this theory easier to buy if Dave had included 1 or 2 songs that were more in the Van Halen / future Dave solo vein. I just don't see how dragging out 4 ten or more year old chestnuts would be a way to test the solo waters for anyone. And really, who in their right mind would've picked "Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody" - the oldest song in the bunch - to be the hit it was? I know as a Dave fan I'm automatically biased, but I just see that EP as Dave letting loose and finding a surprise hit on his hands - nothing intended from Dave's part.</font>[/QUOTE]Dave always said that "Crazy from the Heat" was just a "postcard from the summer" in his words and that he always intended to be back w/VH and the heavier stuff.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Edible, I could buy into the insecure Eddie theory better if it weren't for what happened in 1996. What happened in 96 changed my feelings toward him forever. No one can justify to me anyway, what he pulled on Dave and the fans.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by billy007:
    I would find this theory easier to buy if Dave had included 1 or 2 songs that were more in the Van Halen / future Dave solo vein. I just don't see how dragging out 4 ten or more year old chestnuts would be a way to test the solo waters for anyone. I just see that EP as Dave letting loose and finding a surprise hit on his hands - nothing intended from Dave's part.
    I think the fact that it was cover tunes was the ultimate 'out' for Dave. If it failed, he could publicly laugh it off as nothing more than a time filler and a joke.

Plus, I think Dave was mindful of the fact that he was considered the style of Van Halen, while Eddie was considered the substance. That was always an easy cliche, though it didn't even scratch the surface of Dave or Eddie's importance to the band. But still, I think Dave sold himself on style for that project, because he knew that if he ended up solo, that's what his calling card would be. I think it was important to him to know, "if the substance is dimmed, is my style enough to carry me over the top". Crazy From the Heat answered that question enough for Dave that he took the gamble.

Also, Dave mentions in his book (when speaking of his movie) that MTV was wide open in 1985, saying that anything remotely interesting could find a home. Again, Dave knew from the 1984 videos, as well as the (Oh) Pretty Woman video, that he had a flair for visuals that would be big enough, and colorful enough, to support lesser material. I think Dave was aware that even with a group of musicians that didn't have the VH chemistry, he could always use his unique visual talents to put a shiny bow on a piece of material, making is saleable.

Put another way, do you really believe that if CFTH had tanked, Dave would have left Van Halen? I say, NO WAY!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Great topic!

I personally think that Eddie fucked Dave because of 85 AND for BOV1 sales!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Put another way, do you really believe that if CFTH had tanked, Dave would have left Van Halen?
    I gotta agree with you here Glenn. No way Dave leaves if CFTH tanks.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 1,346 Times in 923 Posts

Put another way, do you really believe that if CFTH had tanked, Dave would have left Van Halen? I say, NO WAY!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Probably not, but that doesn't mean that its success meant that's what Dave planned all along, it just gave him something to think about when the thought to think about leaving first entered his noggin.