Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

let's face it-if Ozzy NEVER had Sharon, he would have OD'ed in a hotel somewhere in 1982.

Sharon has been a lifesaver for Ozzy.

So my question is this, IF DLR had always had a wife/manager that was as good for him as Ozzy's wife has been, how would things have turned out?
    Eat Us and Smile!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, House of Pain
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like Van Hagar
    It's better to have one think you are stupid rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Originally posted by doughboy:
    Like Van Hagar
    LOL!
    Eat Us and Smile!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm how about...maybe??? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think Dave could have been in a great position all along if he'd had someone who believed in him and went to war for him like Sharon does for Ozzy. Dave has has solid material on ALL of his albums, but he's also made some errors.

Eat 'Em and Smile is a great record, but coming out of the Crazy From the Heat project, I think it would have been better for Dave's image to have gone a little lighter on the cover material. Though I think Dave had a lot of depth, it was always very easy to overlook; he was the party in most peoples' eyes, and seeing an album of half cover stuff furthers the opinion that he's a cheerleader, not a quarterback.

Skyscraper is a great album, but the band was getting away from him, probably because he was trying to hard to be all things. Dave sucks as a producer, that album is full of great songs, and full of lousy sound. Get a good rock and roll producer, and give the band some space to be themselves, and you're way ahead of the game.

A Little Ain't Enough I can't really criticize. Seems, from what I've heard Dave say, that he put himself in Bob Rock's hands, and they put together DLR's masterpiece.

Your Filthy Little Mouth has four songs right in the middle that are a mess. If Dave wanted to do that stuff, he should have saved it for b-sides or a box set.

DLR Band just sounds horrid. Apparently Dave has a million bucks to blow on a DVD, but he won't pay a good producer and book a good studio. This album is a masterpiece if there is someone at the controls who has some semblance of sound. Plus an ability to stop Dave in his tracks and get him a voice trainer. Thinking you're a bluesman and celebrating your failing voice isn't noble, get over it.

Touring behind VH material when you haven't been in VH for 15 years is pathetic. It was pathetic once, it AIN'T getting any less pathetic.

But who can tell these things to Dave and have him listen? A Sharon Osbourne type could have been the one to keep things on a better track.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    Eat 'Em and Smile is a great record, but coming out of the Crazy From the Heat project, I think it would have been better for Dave's image to have gone a little lighter on the cover material. Though I think Dave had a lot of depth, it was always very easy to overlook; he was the party in most peoples' eyes, and seeing an album of half cover stuff furthers the opinion that he's a cheerleader, not a quarterback.
    Dave's always loved doing covers probably because #1) He's had success doing them and #2) It's easier to cover a tune than make your own. Dave apparently has gone cover crazy on the DVD. Maybe it's because he's lost faith in himself to make a great song on his own? Maybe he's trying a shotgun approach? You know, throw enough covers out there and one of them should become a hit again? I don't know. I like most of Dave's covers, but he goes to that well too often.
    Skyscraper is a great album, but the band was getting away from him, probably because he was trying to hard to be all things. Dave sucks as a producer, that album is full of great songs, and full of lousy sound. Get a good rock and roll producer, and give the band some space to be themselves, and you're way ahead of the game.
    Agreed on all parts. Personally I love Skyscraper, but it would have been better with Ted producing it.
    A Little Ain't Enough I can't really criticize. Seems, from what I've heard Dave say, that he put himself in Bob Rock's hands, and they put together DLR's masterpiece.
    This was the beginning of the end for Dave. Personally I don't care much for ALAE. Maybe it's because I saw that tour and it sucked big time ass?
    Your Filthy Little Mouth has four songs right in the middle that are a mess. If Dave wanted to do that stuff, he should have saved it for b-sides or a box set.
    I don't care for YFLM except for Big Train and She's My Machine.
    DLR Band just sounds horrid.
    I couldn't disagree more. This CD was way better than YFLM. Going Places, Lose The Skirt Keep The Shoes, Black Sand all of which I love. Only thing I don't like about this CD is when Dave trys to go to the higher register. When he goes high it sounds bad. I wish someone would tell him this.
    Touring behind VH material when you haven't been in VH for 15 years is pathetic. It was pathetic once, it AIN'T getting any less pathetic.
    There comes a time in everones career when you become a nostalgia act. That time is now for VH and Dave. Why is it pathetic to sing the YOUR songs? Because you were in a different band when you made them? I for one went to Dave's show EXCITED to hear all the old VH tunes song by the only man that should be singing them. I was not let down. For you to call him pathetic for singing his songs is wrong.
    But who can tell these things to Dave and have him listen? A Sharon Osbourne type could have been the one to keep things on a better track.
    Dave's ego is apparently too large for him to listen to anyone. He's surrounded himself with "yes men" and it's killing what little career he has left. If he had Sharon Osbourne as his manager she'd have never let things deteriorate to the point they have. Of course Dave probably would have fired her for telling him he sucked etc...I think Dave thinks he knows it all and won't listen to anyone. Kinda like Eddie.

That's why the reunion will never happen. Dave and Ed's egos won't permit it.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good fuckin question. There was actually a thread over at metal-sludge about Dave's solo stuff. This guy wrote how he went from being the biggest rock star in the world to a Vegas longe act in 6 years.

He went on to say with proper management back in the day, we could all be going to Rothfest this summer!!!

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by dj88:
    I couldn't disagree more. This CD was way better than YFLM. Going Places, Lose The Skirt Keep The Shoes, Black Sand all of which I love.
    Not sure if you misunderstood or if I'm reading you wrong. But I didn't say the album was horrid, I said it 'sounds' horrid. Some amazing songs there, but bad sound can really take the air out of an album, and this is a case where that happened.

There comes a time in everones career when you become a nostalgia act. That time is now for VH and Dave. Why is it pathetic to sing the YOUR songs? Because you were in a different band when you made them? For you to call him pathetic for singing his songs is wrong.
    I don't have a problem with him doing SOME Van Halen material, but it's pathetic that any rock and roll singer would prop themselves up on ancient material when they're currently solo, and have a wealth of solo material to choose from. I prefer the approach that Sammy is taking, playing music from his entire career. If Dave isn't in Van Halen, his setlist shouldn't be so dominated by Van Halen material.

Once you sell out to the notion of nostalgia, you're never going to get off the ride. Is Dave supposed to go out year after year and just keep playing 90% Van Halen material? What's the point of putting out a DVD or a new album if he's just going to jump back into the kiddie pool of live gigs, taking the easy way out, serving up a nice hot bowl of yesterday?

Taking your approach, what would be wrong with Eddie, Alex and Michael getting Ralph Saenz of the Atomic Punks and going on tour doing nothing but the old pre-1985 material? Those are Eddie's songs; if they're Dave's songs and he can present them with a backing band that ISN'T Van Halen, why can't the actual Van Halen go out there and present those songs with a singer that ISN'T David Lee Roth? The only real complaint that people should have would be the name, but suppose they went out and did this under the name 'Edward Van Halen', would it be cool? Would Ed, Alex and Mikey look cool?

I think they'd look like a bunch of fucking idiots selling out to nostalgia. So why is it okay for Dave to do that same thing?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure if you misunderstood or if I'm reading you wrong. But I didn't say the album was horrid, I said it 'sounds' horrid. Some amazing songs there, but bad sound can really take the air out of an album, and this is a case where that happened.
    Oh, well I disagree that it sounds horrid too. I think it sounds "ok". It could have been produced better and the parts where Dave trys the higher register do make me cringe. But some of the songs sound pretty damn good the way they are. To say this albums sounds horrid is wrong IMO.
    I don't have a problem with him doing SOME Van Halen material, but it's pathetic that any rock and roll singer would prop themselves up on ancient material when they're currently solo, and have a wealth of solo material to choose from. I prefer the approach that Sammy is taking, playing music from his entire career. If Dave isn't in Van Halen, his setlist shouldn't be so dominated by Van Halen material.
    I've said this before. I think Dave was out to prove to Eddie that he was capable of fronting VH live. That's why all the VH tunes. One more thing it could have been is maybe he can't draw if he does his solo stuff? I don't think there are too many people beating down Dave's door to hear his solo stuff. People want to hear the classics. Eddie is busy with "whatever" so this is the only way you can hear them. It's not pathetic to play your own songs no matter when they were made.
    Once you sell out to the notion of nostalgia, you're never going to get off the ride. Is Dave supposed to go out year after year and just keep playing 90% Van Halen material? What's the point of putting out a DVD or a new album if he's just going to jump back into the kiddie pool of live gigs, taking the easy way out, serving up a nice hot bowl of yesterday?
    What's so wrong about becoming a nostalgia act? Glenn it happens to the best of them. Why is it selling out by going on the road playing the songs that the fans want to hear? Why is there a stigma attached to a nostalgia band? I enjoyed every classic I heard last summer. I was GLAD he played all VH stuff. It had been 10 years since I heard a VH song sung live by Dave. I got exactly what I wanted from that show.
    Taking your approach, what would be wrong with Eddie, Alex and Michael getting Ralph Saenz of the Atomic Punks and going on tour doing nothing but the old pre-1985 material? Those are Eddie's songs; if they're Dave's songs and he can present them with a backing band that ISN'T Van Halen, why can't the actual Van Halen go out there and present those songs with a singer that ISN'T David Lee Roth? The only real complaint that people should have would be the name, but suppose they went out and did this under the name 'Edward Van Halen', would it be cool? Would Ed, Alex and Mikey look cool?
    There would be absolutely nothing wrong with them doing any of that! Those are their songs. If they want to get Ralph and do that then DO IT! I wouldn't give two shits about it. I might actually go see them play too! They could call themselves whatever they wanted. Van Halen, Edward Van Halen, Rat Salad whatever. It wouldn't matter to me. Those are their songs. If they wanna play 'em without Dave let 'em!
    I think they'd look like a bunch of fucking idiots selling out to nostalgia. So why is it okay for Dave to do that same thing?
    That's your opinion. My opinion is it's better than sitting on your ass doing nothing, saying nothing and disrespecting your fans like they have been doing. I don't think there's any shame in doing what the fans want. We want classic Van Halen. If they can't make it work with Dave then maybe they should get Ralph. I might actually go to that show if it was at normal prices. I'd like to see Eddie playing those tunes too.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I fuckin LOVE David Lee Roth, I probably love his solo work more than the VH years coz thats what I grew up on - but I REALLY wish his last two tours weren't VH tribute shows - I think it smacks of desperation - He has a TON!! of great solo songs, and a lot of them are well known too, it's not as if people aren't going to know them.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love the production on DLR Band - totally suits the record - I'll admit Dave's voice isn't quite what it was - but it doesn't spoil the album at all - at least not for me.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think they'd look like a bunch of fucking idiots selling out to nostalgia.
    Isn't that what they did when they had a 2 hour Garyoake show on the VDIII tour?
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Even now, Sharon Osbourne would probably be a good move.

She could probably tell Eddie to get off his ass and get fucking over himself already.

Ozzy hasn't done any techno songs that I'm aware of, so we can also assume that wouldn't be happening.

VanHALENfest would be the top grossing tour of the summer, even if Sharon had to pull the Stones into the tour to keep from competing with them (Mick and DLR doing a duet on "Dancing in the Streets"? Why the fuck not??)

And if it still all blew up in the end, they could turn it into an MTV sitcom.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by FORD:
    Isn't that what they did when they had a 2 hour Garyoake show on the VDIII tour?
    Now FORD, you can't even begin to make that statement without acknowledging what a joke the last few tours have been for DLR. How come you can be critical of Eddie, Alex and Mike hiring someone to do 70% (that's total, not DLR era ) karaoke, but you won't criticize DLR for hiring a band to do 100% karaoke?

And on the III tour, they were presenting new material. After playing 4 or 5 new songs (which is probably about average for a veteran band) they had no choice but to play the material that pre-dated Gary's arrival. Good, bad or otherwise, the III tour was WAY less of a joke than the DLR fiasco that currently exists as a roadshow.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i just can't see spending six months to a year of your life on recording a new project, only to ignore it when you go on tour. seems kinda dumb to stand on stage and say "buy my new one!", then choose not to play a note of it live. don't record anyting new, put the money into the tour, like on inflatable devils that piss Jack Daniel's..
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10