all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:13 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

IMO,

Eddie has done more.
    He re-invented thr way guitar is played.
    He influenced more musicians than Kurt.

Sure Kurt started a movement in rock music, but that movement since has slowly been dissapating since he died.

If Eddie ( God forbid) were to pass away today, his legacy would still be very strong to musicians, guitarists especially.

I personally didn't really care for Nirvana'a music and thought that Pearl Jam was a better band, even they have fallen since there 2nd album which still wasn't as good as their first.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In retrospect I really don't think Cobain did all that much for rock music. He also got way more credit than he deserved for "pioneering" the grunge movement when the fact of that matter was that a lot of those bands existed/put out records before Nirvana did and it just so happened that Nirvana was the first to hit big with a major label.

Nirvana did rule the Seattle scene and evidence of this was the Seattle scene and the rock music world falling hard after his death in 1994. His reign only lasted a few years though. Maybe if he was around for a little bit longer his impact would still be felt. IMO, Cobain's impact is all in the PAST and nowadays his influence really isn't prominent.

EVH on the other hand, has had loyal followers for the past 25 years. Van Halen has been dormant as a band for like 3 years and there's still people on the edge of their seat waiting to see what this guy is gonna do next. Also, songs like "Right Now" are legendary messages along with the video. EVH by far.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Cobain ruined rock and roll. The whole damn decade of the 90s suffered because of his success.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    Cobain ruined rock and roll. The whole damn decade of the 90s suffered because of his success.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is one of those special occasions where I get to say to MikeL:

AMEN, BROTHER

Comparing Cobain to Eddie is an insult to Eddie in the first place, but I look at it like this:

Eddie did previously UNIMAGINABLE things to help elevate and expand rock and guitar in directions unheard of, like a Thomas Edison or a Starship Enterprise. Cobain had a destructive effect on both of those things, essentially an exaggerated regression.

Eddie showed us that the guitar could be so much more of an instrument, capable of so many great things, and opened the doors for further advances in the state of the art. Cobain showed us that the ANTITHESIS of forward-thinking sells big time, and opened the doors for an entire generation of apathetic, talentless freak shows to walk into pop culture and somehow find similar success.

Eddie breathed life into what was, at the time, a dying animal. Cobain sucked the life from it.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Van Halen and Eddie !!

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member
    Kurt Cobain had an influence on Punk Rock, not rock and roll. To even try to compare him to Eddie is friggin crazy. Never really liked his music.
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Probably one out of every three techniques you use on the guitar is because of something Eddie patented, or something someone else patented because of Eddie. ( Like the Floyd Rose Locking system.)

Kurt Cobain should never even be said in the same sentence as Eddie. He was a terrible guitar player, he ruined RNR, and Nirvana's longevity EVEN with Kurt still alive would have been five years. Not like VH with over 25 years. People have to get real here.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Im with everyone else. Eddie did so many new and innovative things unheard of before, and is such a great player. He is a great writer, and the most original guitarist in the history of the instrument. Kurt Cobain ruined everything Eddie stands for by creating a path for talentless bums to pave their way into the mainstream.
    I am awesome

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

EVH destroys Cobain, plain and simple!
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:
    Kurt Cobain ruined everything Eddie stands for by creating a path for talentless bums to pave their way into the mainstream.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prime example here: Staind
    [img]smilies/sleep.gif[/img]

I'll admit it, I bought Dysfunctional and listened to it for a few weeks or so but forgot about them afterwards. Glad I did since nowadays Staind is looking like the 2001 version of what Nirvana did back in 1991. Which is: Self-loathing, depressive, boring rock music.

I actually saw an interview with the lead singer trying to inadvertantly proclaim himself as Mr. leader of a generation saying shit like "I see the kids waiting on the edge of their seat to hear what I am going to say next thinking that I have all the answers to their problems... but I don't." OOOHHHHHH, such deep words there. Yeah, as deep as a bathtub. This whiner mirrors Cobain in everyway possible. The only difference IMO between the two is that this dude from Staind is probably just trying to make some $ out of the deal while Cobain was too high on dope to know what was going on.

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    Cobain ruined rock and roll. The whole damn decade of the 90s suffered because of his success.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wholeheartedly agree. I busted my ass to become a good guitar player during my teens in the '80's. By the time I was 21, because of the grunge-alternative scene, I felt the rug had been pulled out from under my feet. Now at 30, my guitar sits in the corner most of the time.

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

You picked a helluva place for THAT public opinion poll man! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Cobain was a big fat baby. If he didn't like success he got all he had to do was quit. (Which is, in effect, what he did...) It's that simple. His woe-is-me attitude was such a drag. It's so tough being a rock star.

Flannel shirt wearing fart.

He headed one of the most depressing movements in music. Grunge/Alternative/Crap; whatever you want to call it. The funniest thing is when I hear "he was the voice of his generation."

What an insult to "his" generation.

I think that Nirvana's aura has a lot to do with Cobain's having offed himself. I don't know why people seemingly get lionized for dying young.

Eddie, on the other hand, made you want to live life - Not take your own. LOL. His inventiveness both musically and technically (when it came to guitar-related devices) set him apart from Cobain. Far apart.

Musically, Eddie's contributed a lot more to music than Cobain. And not simply because he decided to stick around to make more albums... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[ September 19, 2001 at 05:32 AM: Message edited by: Goo ]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Considering that rock was always traditionally a force moving outside the pop movement, looking at the effects of EVH and Cobain does bring up some similarities.

Arguably, before EVH's guitar style was mimicec by every Tom, Dick, and Winger, rock was outside the mainstream. The actions of bands like Bon Jovi, for good or for ill, changed that. Suddenly it was "cool" to listen to rock - it didn't mean you were a protestor or a devil worshipper anymore.

However, the bottom line with anything in the pop market is that the record labels will chew you up and spit you out as fast as possible just to make a buck. The problem in '92 was that hair metal had been in a decline since '87 and was about to be spit out violently by the pop world. Cobain's music happened to hit all the right chordes at the right time to speak to a new generation. Sure, rock changed, but it remained embraced by the vampires of pop. Two years later, Cobain killed himself and the sudden explosion of grunge died under its own weight. Rock was expelled from pop and until about '99 it was almost nonexistant.

Right now we're pretty much in a non-Cobain crossroad. Actually, rock has probably already chose sides. The way I see it, in '99 rock had two choices. It could go down the Oleander/Fuel sound or it could go down the Godsmack sound. In the past year it seems what I call, "Sinister Rock," has been dominant.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."