Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Does anyone else feel like besides this whole "wait it out" thing we've been going thru the past 3 years, that it's almost like Van Halen, Ed in particular, is mad at us for some reason. We, then in return, are mad at Ed for taking so long to let us know anything.

Yet, there's no proof VH is angry at all. It's just like you FEEL the negative karma ( [img]smile.gif[/img] ) but there was nothing specific that caused it.

As to why Ed is angry, sure...we all have our own specualtion what he's thinking and why he'd be somewhat pissed at our impatience. But, as fans, I think we also have a right to be angry.

I heard the "Mike & Mike in the Morning Show" on ESPN radio yesterday and they were commenting on the whole Jeff Van Gundy situation in NY and how he's just quit the Knicks...he just walks away. Mike Golic had some EXCELLENT points as to why a coach should NEVER just walk away. One of his examples was if Marcus Camby came up to VG and said "I just don't have my focus anymore...I don't think I can play." Golic's response was VG should just say "Then you better find your focus and get back in the game!!" Golic felt that VG should have taken his own advice and "found his focus" and done what he had to to get through the remainder of the season. It was the right thing to do. Instead, Van Gundy just walks away...kinda like Van Halen.

Now true...there is a difference between a coach and a player as well as Ed and the fans. We have no right to tell Ed to "find his focus" and play some music, but I do think some common courtesy and communication would do wonders. The situations were eerily similar in some aspects and I just wondered to myself why is it that other bands can effectively do this and have no problem with it? Why is Van Halen so special? Do they really expect the hardcores to remain eager and waiting indefinitely??

My point is this, I guess.

A part of me feels like a bit of acknowledgement from the band is not asking too much. I don't want an intimate report of all of the band's activities and all the bloody, gory details of whatever's been going on. What I DO want is just the acknowledgement that we, Van Halen, respect and appreciate our fans. We know this has been a trying time and we all want to see you again but for the time being, we have no plan...yada yada yada.

Maybe the heat was way too much in the Dome and they just shut off our mouthpiece. Perhaps this got Ed's dander up and he just said "screw it all...close it down". Whatever. It's his site...knock yourself out. However, what all of us would really like to know is just the basics:

-are you OK? (I still don't see how this is an ivasion of privacy...if we didn't care, we wouldn't ask)
    -is there still a band?
    -who are you leaning toward hiring as the singer?
    -when can we expect to see you/hear you again?

Is this too unreasonable to ask? I don't think so. You know, if we've somehow made the band angry, we can't make amends if they don't let us know...although at this point, their silence seems to say a lot. I'll still have my cd's, boots, vids and memories if they decide to call it a day. After almost 30 years in the biz, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to hang it up.

I just think for the fans' sake, a few words without some veil of "ambiguity and perplexity" would put a lot of our minds at ease. I'd hate to think of a band with a legacy as great as theirs, all they're going to be remembered for is ignoring their fans in their final days and fading away quietly into the world of "has-beens".
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Great post CK!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

"If you want the old, buy the old. You want the new, buy the new if you like it. Nobody's forcing you to do anything" EVH Jan 1997
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cabo, I have to agree with you. I think the vast majority of us here would be perfectly happy with the continued lack of music and creative direction in the band if they would just drop us an occasional line to let us know they're alive.

Not too long ago I commented that what I would do if I was the band and controlled the official site is have a kind of monthly update. Each month you have one of the three band members sit down and write (or dictate) a brief message about what they've been up to since the last time they wrote. That way they'd only have to do this once every three months and wouldn't even have to talk about the band if they didn't want to.

Something so small and simple that might take fifteen minutes of their time every three months would go a long way towards improving the opinion of the fans towards them. I certainly wouldn't expect them to sit around on a message board or anything, just SOMETHING.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Something so small and simple that might take fifteen minutes of their time every three months would go a long way towards improving the opinion of the fans towards them. I certainly wouldn't expect them to sit around on a message board or anything, just SOMETHING.<hr></blockquote>

Absolutely, Stuff. Bands that act like that sometimes manage to keep a greater fan base for a long time. Keeping the hardcores happy is very weise...look what it did for the Dead. So what's so bad about telling the fans what they've been up to? The silence makes no sense, and I can translate as nothing other than a big "fuck you." If they're worried about telling fans Dave is back and then having to tell them it didn't work out, I think the band's sincerity and really telling fans the reason would go a long way toward helping instead of a quick blurb in a golf magazine about "lawyers."
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It seems painfully obvious that Van Halen have no concept of how communication has changed in the last 10 years. As has been stated, a regular message to the fans would be so simple, but they show no sign of wanting to do that. Fair enough I guess, but as every one of us knows, if you go into two stores, and one store treats you like shit and the other is friendly, your loyalty is going to go to the friendly one. VH seem to be of the mind that we should just be loyal no matter what. A dangerous position to take.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

You wanna see a board that actually has a band member moderating it???

Check out Dave Meneketti of Y&T at www.meneketti.com

Now I know that Dave M. is not quite in the league of the brothers VH, but you'd be quite surprised how cool it is to see him actually taking the time to respond DIRECTLY to the fans themselves and not thru some lame-duck mouthpiece like Brad who can't say squat.

It's a real refresher to read Dave M's reponses and even see him start the occasional thread or 2. Wow. What a novel idea...a musician who cares as much for his fans as they do him. Who'd a thunk it, eh?

Musical tastes aside, even Tom Hamilton of Aerosmith does the regular note to the fans on their site to.

Getting back a bit to one of my other points...I think it's just a freakin' cowardly way to go out when you've BEEN one of the loudest, brashest and most exciting bands in history to just fade away and ignore everyone. It's like they just decided to quit when they're job wasn't really in jeopardy.

OK, OK...maybe VH3 got some people's ire up, but with a resurgence of the original VH coming around, rumors flying around quicker than the Hale-bopp comet, Van Halen did nothing but sit and watch and say absolutely nothing. If they missed their grand opportunity to announce anything, who's fault is that? I certainly didn't advise them to piss it away. Van Halen has brought all this negative crap on themselves and if they're gonna be mad at US because we've finally made a stand about being dicked around, then fine.

Go away. See if the hype and excitement is as big as it COULD have been. Say what you will about KISS, but at least they didn't sit around and let the flames of anticipation die out...they got off their asses and did something about it and did it in a big way. KISS fans only had to wait from late 95 to summer of 96-97 to see the original guys reunite and tour AND release a new CD. (note: I know it was a bit of a letdown but it's beside the point. Waiting 3 more years wouldn't have made "Psycho Circus" sound any better. )

I just think the whole Van Gundy situation made me realize the similarities between that sitation and Van Halen's. At least VG had the balls to not hide and never say anything. He wanted to quit and he did...fine. Good for him.

It's now Van Halen's turn to step up to the plate.

I can't believe I'm getting this pissed about it again. Whatever...
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    with a resurgence of the original VH coming around, rumors flying around quicker than the Hale-bopp comet, Van Halen did nothing but sit and watch and say absolutely nothing. If they missed their grand opportunity to announce anything, who's fault is that?<hr></blockquote>The only thing is, perhaps there never was anything to announce. But as odd as it sounds, if there was nothing to announce, they probably should have announced THAT. Better to tell the fans a year ago that "we'll be doing nothing for the next year" than to be aware of the groundswell of interest in something (Dave) that isn't going to happen, and to let it grow out of control.

Mikey was on record as saying "we'll be making some announcements SOON" in January (christ, has it been that long???). As soon as that ceased to be a reality, they should have gone on record to update the time-line. Even just to obliterate the time-line altogether; it's better to do that than to leave us with the bad taste of "soon" in our mouths.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:13 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

While I think they should have said some things at some point, I can also see that if they have been doing an on and off tango with Dave, and lawyers, saying nothing is better than constant go-no go statements. How bad would you all be hammering them if they had announced the reunion seven different times over the last 2-3 years, then kept calling it off because this guy or that lawyer was being a dick-head. Think of it this way: I'd rather know I wasn't going to get any then get teased all night then shut off. The band isn't teasing us, guys, (unless you count MA's statements, which actually proves my point, look at the vilification). We're teasing ourselves, and jerking off won't scratch this itch. I think Eddie fucked up with the Golf Mag, and Mikey fucked up at the show. They should have the balls to make some attempt to clear it up though. Which means we're back to the band shitting on us. Oh well.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I still think it's true that they don't owe us anything. But then, we don't owe them anything either. They're being total pricks.

There's no way anyone's going to convince me that some nasty, evil lawyers prevented what would be one of the biggest reunions in history. Lawyers and managers that have stakes in something like this will do all they can to get it rolling. And any band that wants to reunite can do it if they want to and take anyone who wants to be involved on the bandwagon or dump them by the side of the road. The band has the power here (no one will fight them to have a reunion album and tour), and if it doesn't happen, it's the band's fault, not the businessmen.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's a non-scientific poll:

How many people would be stasfied even if all they got monthly out of the band was:

Watching some TV, ate out a lot, and picked each other's noses.

I know I would. Just the ATTEMPT to communicate would be enough for me.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Eddie here.

Hi fans. Today I drove Wolfie to school. Then I watched a movie. I watched SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER on USA. What a horrible movie. I hate disco. Reminds me of Dave. He's an asshole.

Then I went to the bathroom. I have trouble peeing still, but while in the bathroom, I wrote ten songs. They're awesome. That's 528 songs I've written now for the new album. Then when Val came home, we took Wolfie to baseball practice. One of the other dads was singing "We Will Rock You" at the game. I talked to him and he says he can sing. I got his number. I'm gonna call Al about him tomorrow.

Then I got home. Then I had a non-alcholic beer. Then I went to the bathroom, where I wrote five more songs. Then I went for a drive. Then I bought some soda, candy and chocolate for Wolfie. Then I went to the drug store and bought some medicine to help me pee. Then I went home. Then I had a nap. Then I took out the garbage.

See you next month for another exciting update!
    Eddie Van Halen"

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:13 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Very nice, Rikk, very nice. LMFAO.

And right on the money. That's probably about all that's going on.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    I heard the "Mike & Mike in the Morning Show" on ESPN radio yesterday and they were commenting on the whole Jeff Van Gundy situation in NY and how he's just quit the Knicks...he just walks away. Mike Golic had some EXCELLENT points as to why a coach should NEVER just walk away. One of his examples was if Marcus Camby came up to VG and said "I just don't have my focus anymore...I don't think I can play." Golic's response was VG should just say "Then you better find your focus and get back in the game!!" Golic felt that VG should have taken his own advice and "found his focus" and done what he had to to get through the remainder of the season. It was the right thing to do. Instead, Van Gundy just walks away...kinda like Van Halen.<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm.... anyone ever wondered if that has something to do with the Van in the name?!?!

J/k...

Nice posts, Cabo Kid and Rikk! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being(well, you asked)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As much as I'd like to hear something out of the brothers VH, I also understand that they are private
    citizens and are entitled to that privacy, if they wish. If they never do any music again, I already know their music and I like it. I think they have been a PR disaster with all the gossip floating around. That's about the only thing they could clarify if they chose.
    Say what you wish, but what do you owe them? They probably think the same way. One of these days they might surprize us all and get back into it. (just not holding my breath)
    C'mon baby, finish me!