I think giving any rock singer genius status is a major stretch....
And I think if you asked Sam, Dave, or any other lyricist they would all tell you the same thing
Cheese sells.....deep thinking gets you lots of filler that only the diehards like.
Lets look at some of Vh's biggest hits...
Jump....hmmm...slightly cheesy
Cant stop loving you....some deepness there, but still cheesy
You really got me.....cheesy remake
When its love...he said the "L" word, so it must be cheese
Thats not to say that all of these arent great songs...but deep they are not...
Now, on the other side of the coin...
Push comes to shove.....deep content...but not a hit
Feeling....very deep song...but again, not a hit
I could go on and on....but whats the point....
Sadly...musicians have to write down to the masses in order to make a living at what they do...The ones who dont, even the ones with the greatest talent...only enjoy marginal success at best...for example...Yngwie Malmsteen...guitar virtuoso...but didnt know how to write a hit...so only guitar heads like me buy his stuff...
Personally I am very sick and very tired of the personal attacks on this sights...people attack Dave, they attack Sam...they attack each other...
its overdone and old...
In another thread...Sam is referred to as a nincompoop....why? because you dont like his style ? because he threatens your wish to have DLR back in VH ? I like Sam better than Dave...but I still loved the Dave years...and you wont hear me cheapen the arguement with name calling...because thats exactly what you do when you use name calling...you cheapen your own arguement...I read some threads on here about lyrics, and I think to myself..."now thats a valid point" but then an insulting name gets thrown in the mix and just pisses you off and throws the debate away from where it should be...
Dave Rocks...Sammy Rocks...
Hopefully soon...VH will too....once again [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]