Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

About a year ago, I remember seeing a picture of Ed & Billy Sheehan @ 5150, and a few people thought it odd...In fact, if I remember it correctly, Ed complained that Mike couldn't develop his own bass lines, that Ed sometimes had to write Mike's pieces.

Anyone else remember anything?
    I am also not too surprised to see Mike Anthony working with Sammy; Mike probably got tired of Van Halen's shit, and I wonder if Ed and Al were happy with Mike (I remember some time ago, that Sammy said that Ed wanted to boot Mike out of the band. DLR wrote the same thing in his book)...

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I like Mike, but he doesn't seem to be playing on the same team as Ed. How many times has he said something that is either quickly denied, or never transpires.
    This Member:Van Halen Fan EST. 1978

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Eddie and Alex would have to be absolute morons to be tired of Michael Anthony. First of all, the brothers are control freaks, and Mikey seems willing to allow them to be, so they have no complaint there. Second, putting a bass player like Billy Sheehan in the ring with a guitar player like Edward Van Halen would get way too busy in my opinion. Edward has always wanted to have all the space to be able to do whatever he wants, and having a bass player like Mikey has allowed him to do that. Third, listen to an EEAS tour bootleg, the backing band was worthless when it came to back-up vocals. Mikey, on the other hand, is an amazing background vocalist, and is perfectly suited for a band like Van Halen, where the singer tends to neglect the vocals in favor of the visual entertainment factor.

Factor all those things in, and I find it disgusting that there's a good possibility that Mikey is paid as a sideman. That sucks if it's true, he's as important to the sound as any of them.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

What Glenn said.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If ya listen to Eddie and Billy jam at the Jason Becker Benefit in '96 on bootleg, it iz KICKASS!!!!!!

And Roth sings a BADASS MEAN STREET LIVE!!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    Eddie and Alex would have to be absolute morons to be tired of Michael Anthony. First of all, the brothers are control freaks, and Mikey seems willing to allow them to be, so they have no complaint there. Second, putting a bass player like Billy Sheehan in the ring with a guitar player like Edward Van Halen would get way too busy in my opinion. Edward has always wanted to have all the space to be able to do whatever he wants, and having a bass player like Mikey has allowed him to do that. Third, listen to an EEAS tour bootleg, the backing band was worthless when it came to back-up vocals. Mikey, on the other hand, is an amazing background vocalist, and is perfectly suited for a band like Van Halen, where the singer tends to neglect the vocals in favor of the visual entertainment factor.

Factor all those things in, and I find it disgusting that there's a good possibility that Mikey is paid as a sideman. That sucks if it's true, he's as important to the sound as any of them.
    100% TRUE!!!!! They have no reason to kick Mike out! He is essential to their sound. They kick him out, and they finally completely prove what bastards they are with bandmates!
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I like Mike Anthony, and I wouldn't want him to leave Van Halen. But if Mike ever left VH, Billy Sheehan would be my first choice for his replacement. Billy is an incredible bass player! Billy is also a huge VH fan, i'm sure he would take the job. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member
    i saw billy on g3 last summer with steve vai. he is the best bassist period.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by edwardv:
    i saw billy on g3 last summer with steve vai. he is the best bassist period.
    I personally think Geddy Lee is the best, but that's a debate for another time! [img]smile.gif[/img] Anyway, I think Glenn's points were all valid. A bassist of the caliber and creativity of Billy Sheehan (he is awesome, that's a fact)would make the sound rather cluttered. Edward has often said he makes enough noise for VH, and I think this includes having the bass player stay in his own frequencies with the primary responsibility of keeping time for the band. Mike is also one of the best backing vocalists in the history of rock. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!