Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had to have equal time here to defend Alex Van Halen. I have read one too many post suggesting that Al has merely been along for the ride and makes zilch! musical contribution.

Anybody, and I mean anybody who knows any history of Van Halen knows that Al is an extremely versatile, articulate, gifted and knowledgeable musician in his own right. This is a guy who when pre-teens his age were experiementing with drugs or getting laid for the first time, he was playing in a band with his father. Don't you think a guy who's being playing music all these years hasn't learn something about making music? Back in the 80's I remember reading a Dave interview where he marveled at how Alex arranged all tthe music for a school production of "West Side Story". Al not only arranged all the music but went around to each person and instructed them on how to play their part. Does this sound like a guy who knows nothing musically and is riding the musical coattails of his famous younger brother? Come 'on people! are you so ignorant to suggest that because he is a drummer he is incapable of contributing anything musically beyond a "drum fill". When I hear stupid assumptions like "Al's just a drummer" it really makes me realize how ignorant so many people are about the musical process. I'm certainly no musician myself, but I appreciated all the little intricatecies that go into a song and how every member of a band can make a contribution, not just the guitar player's. Songwriting is more than just music and lyrics, it 's also the arrangement of those elements and that's where I think Alex has made a contribution. Who knows? without Al, Ed may have just been another one of those "fast " guitar player. GOLLY GEE, BEAV! wouldn't that be exciting!

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

... I remember a interview with kilgore..& he remembers that Alex was clearly the boss...i think divorce is alex's cryptinite

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

jump
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i totally agree!!!!

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Agreed.
    The problem is to be next to Eddie, he's been such an influence, that neither Mike or Alex have been recognized as much as they should be.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

While Al and Mike are excellent musicians in their own right, the fact that Ed is rated one of the best ever on his instrument, takes away from most of the attention that would go their way. Not as balanced as some groups. Figure in that Dave as well as Sammy did their share of press, and it's pretty much been their scene to be in the background most of their careers. Makes them look to be pretty good people, family or not, when you can understand the situation you find yourself in and not let ego ruin what would be a very ideal situation for a career in music, and very sucessful at that.

Yeah, it's stupid to say that the drummer and the bass player don't add important dynamics to the writing of most songs. In Mike's case, I think it was always about what he didn't play, considering he was just holding it down and keeping the groove with when Ed would rip. Yeah, he'd just ride a note some of the time, but he also would play groovy riffs underneath too. That groove that he and Al would nail was just as important to the whole vibe as Ed's solo, and when both were really hot, it compliments each other as well as any two parts of music.

Also, when Ed would lock in with Al on something, Mike would basicly hold it all down, until they came out of their jam, and I think that's as cool of stuff as there is.

As far as writing, I think they all have a pretty good understanding of all the instruments involved, and make suggestions of changes and timing all the time. It's these subtle changes that sometimes make or break a song.
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member
    al is clearly an artist and has the musical genes
    of a genious.as with zepplin his percussion is
    a driving force in my opinion only second to john bonham.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Alex rules. I agree that he is underrated because of all the attention that Eddie, Dave, and Sammy got. He is a huge part of Van Halen's sound, and his drum solos in concert were cool.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I think that Alex is the greatest drummer in the history of rock!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ED-A-HOLIC:
    Agreed.
    The problem is to be next to Eddie, he's been such an influence, that neither Mike or Alex have been recognized as much as they should be.
    true, but if either one was not there, there would be a big diference.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Alex never met a drum he couldn't pound or a woman he couldn't divorce.

Great topic for the Opinions forum guys, sending it over there now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

ALL!!!
    Favorite VH Song

ALL!..Except "Loss of Control"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who do you think totally composed, arranged, and performed "Respect The Wind" from the "Twister" soundtrack?

Yep. 'Twas Alex.

Although, in all honesty, I have to say that I haven't been that impressed with his drum solos from the last 3 tours. They've all been virtually the same. If anyone has any boots from the '93 "RHRN" tour, '95 "Balance" tour, and the '98 "III" tour, listen to them and you'll see what I mean.

Should they ever tour again, I hope he comes up with something a hell of a lot different, like the 3-in-1 drum set solo he did in '88 on the "MOR" tour. That was a fucking mind blower.
    "Are you the guy with the Van Halen tickets?"<br /><br />"I might be....."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mike Damone:
    Who do you think totally composed, arranged, and performed "Respect The Wind" from the "Twister" soundtrack?

EXACTLY! I forgot about that one. Well, I guess that proves my point of this thread 'cuz so far I haven't seen one post disputing my believe that Alex is an integral part of Van Halen's music.