On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think after John Lowery quit Daves band to join marilyn manson, Dave basically gave up on his solo career - and that makes me very sad! I love the guy, but I really don't want to see him fronting a VH tribute act. sammy hagar is pretty much in the same boat as him popularity-wise - but he still performs mostly solo on tour - and I'm finding myself cringing reading the reviews for the sam and Dave tour.

DLR Band - Man I was so happy when that cd came out - WHAT!!! a come-back, and it was BEGGING to be played live. But then that.....thing!!!! manson poaches the best thing that had happened to Dave in 10 years - and basically put the final nail in the coffin of Daves solo career.

Doing the VH act, must be dis-heartening for him, thats the only reason I can think of his his 'subdued' stage act. I know - its probably the only route left for him (yeah, WE think he should stick out the solo gig - but IMO the failure of ALAE, YFLM and DLR Band took an AWFUL lot out of Dave - ALAE really dented his confidence) there's only so many times you can dust yourself down and tear into it again.

All this came about on the Ozzy board - I posted asking did Lowery ever play w/Ozzy (read loads if reports saying he did - I'm a huge Ozzy fan - never heard of him playing with him!!)

- just feeling a little sad for Dave right now - thinking what could/should have been.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

DLR BAND is a great album, it's a shame Manson took him away.

On the other hand I saw John Lowery at the Dave/Sam show at the Universal, on the first night.
    He was with a girl, he looked like he was enjoying the show.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol talk about a shitty move on johns part huh? i mean he quit a shitty act to go to a shittier act and put on makeup and leotards and 6 months later manson is basically out of style and out of business.

way to go einstein.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by lil'devil:
    he quit a shitty act to go to a shittier act
    way to go einstein.
    WHAT!!!!! you're calling DLR Band a "shitty act"???????

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i would have liked to see Dave do a tour behind the DLR Band disc, then right after, take those guys back into the studio, and see what they come up with. since EEAS and Skyscraper, there hasn't been much continuity with Dave's band. doing an album, a tour, then another album with the same guys may make for a stronger sound on the second disc.

Lowery is sorely underused in Manson's band. i saw them on the Mechanical Animals tour, and all Lowery did was play dopey little lines while constantly walking around in circles...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ED-A-HOLIC:
    DLR BAND is a great album, it's a shame Manson took him away.

On the other hand I saw John Lowery at the Dave/Sam show at the Universal, on the first night.
    He was with a girl, he looked like he was enjoying the show.
    So he's into women again? Like how you pointed out that little fact! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

This is an interesting topic, and one better suited to the Opinions - Speculation Forum, so I'm going to send it over there.

I don't feel terribly sad for Dave, if only because I completely believe he's been the architect of his own creative demise. Since leaving Van Halen he has refused to put any musicians on equal footing with himself, thereby robbing himself of the opportunity to grow and interact with a set of musicians the way he did with AVH, EVH and MA.

I wish someone would have asked Dave at any point prior to 1998 if he ever saw himself doing solo tours where he relied almost entirely on the VH catalogue. I'm sure his answer would have been, "if I get to that point, please kill me!!"

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

DLR Band wasn't even a band then. Besides doing a guitarist swap mid-album, Dave had no bass player! It was a hodge-podge thrown together with little regard for anything beyond getting an album out the door.

Is Lowery anything special? Not to my ears. Just more formulaic GIT-rock, without passion, soul, or style.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The DLR (Dave, Lowery, Ray) Band tour would've seen Terry Kilgore play bass on Lowery's songs and vice-versa. Thats what was planned 'till manson stepped in. I still think Dave should've carried on with Kilgore and maybe bring somebody else in (Toshi???).

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think Dave did the only thing he could once Lowery left. Things can't have been real pleasant in the band, what with both Lowery and Hartman choosing to leave under unhappy circumstances. Dave would've been playing to tiny clubs with that line up at best. He really didn't have anywhere to go once his band departed.

Dave's experience in the 90s is a great lesson in how to squander star power.

I forgot to add that Dave had a real bad experience with using hired guns for a tour. Joe Holmes pretty much spoiled him on the idea, I think. Maybe that's why he's hiring niche players now?

[ July 30, 2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: MikeL ]