Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok, so in the past I've always advicated Hagar returning to the fold. Why?

1. The "Reunion" factor
    2. The history of their past work
    3. His past relationship with Eddie (not counting the last 2 years he was in the band or so)

But as I listened to the Roth catalog I began to feel differently. These are great songs. Songs that would hardly if ever be played by the Van Hagar juggernaut. The reverse is true also. If Roth came back tomorrow songs like, Humans Being, Right Now, Seventh Seal, Poundcake would be all but forgotten. That's what made the Gary era so cool. No matter what you think of his singing the set lists for that tour were every VAN HALEN fans dream. Sure you have your Van Hagar people and your Van Roth people but I really think that alot of people would like to hear songs from both of the major eras of the band. Thus the need for a new singer, not very well known but not totally out of left field either, to come on and embrace the past catalog like Gary did. Hopefully the result would be more then one album and one tour. Anyway that's my 0.02.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

The Next One!
    Favorite VH Song

The Newest Single off The Next One!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Post ! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Van Halen....2003??? In television if your on hiatus this long it's means you have been cancelled and nobody told ya.Has VH Been Cancelled and no ones telling us?? C'mon Ed give us a break and give us an update...

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmmmm...

that's a great point nobody has pointed out...

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are going to have a 4th singer it should be Gary. They get along and they put together a great tour. Why run the risk of bringing in Vince Neil or something???
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I would much rather have Dave back and ignoring the Hagar era, or have Sammy back and ignoring the Roth era, rather than having a fourth singer just so the live show can be balanced.

This is a good topic for the Opinions forum so I'm gonna shoot it over there now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would much rather have Dave back and ignoring the Hagar era, or have Sammy back and ignoring the Roth era, rather than having a fourth singer just so the live show can be balanced.
    That's not the only reason to go with number 4 but it is one of my main ones. Recently I have come to believe that a reunion with either guy would yeild little more then a rehash of days gone by. The new material probably wouldn't match the quaility of either's past accomplishments. Could a new singer do this? I believe he could not only based on his talent but Eddie's. We've heard Ed say that he wants to go forward not back and I think that a reunion just wouldn't inspire Eddie.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

One question, which I may post in the Polls section, is how would the public have reacted if the '96 fiasco never happened? If Sammy parted ways with Van Halen on good terms, DLR never "re-joined" VH for those two songs, and Gary was introduced as the singer in early '97', would the reception have been different??? I've read some posts in this forum by fans who want a 4th singer (or bring Gary back) then for a reunited VH with Dave or Sam. Would things have been different back then? Would the fans enjoy having Gary back this time around? Just some thoughts.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary certainly would not have walked into the fire pit that he did if Roth had not come back for the two songs. Amicable split with Sammy or not, that would have had little difference, it was the Dave in Dave out again thing that killed it for Gary. Even if VHIII had come out sounding as it did, the reception, or reaction, would have been different because people were still realing over Dave, so VHIII just gave more ammunition to their argument about Dave.

If the Dave fiasco had not Happenned I think Gary would still be a member today and their followup would have been much better and better received as they came together as a band on the tour. I don't think they would have had the success they did even with Sammy, but they would still be around and would have had at least one or two songs receiving airplay and decent ticket sales for concerts, possibly in smaller venues.

Here is a question...if Sammy had come back after BOVI instead of Gary how would that have gone over? I still think the backlash would have been there and it is all because of the Dave in Dave out thing. And to this day I just don't get this Dave thing, I really don't because he just was not that good, and he is and always was a total idiot. If I paid $50+ of my money for a concert ticket I want a damn good quality singer! Just my opinion though.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree. Getting Dave back in 1996 was a big mistake for the band. Right up there with the Ray Daniels thing.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree, both Ray Daniels and David Lee Roth had no place in Van Halen in 1996. Anyone who says otherwise is just high from sniffing Roth's panties.

bk
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

If Roth hadn't been a part of the 96 scene then I definitely wouldn't own a copy of BOV1. I would imagine others feel this way. As for the name calling, well consider the source
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by weesfreewheelin:
    If Roth hadn't been a part of the 96 scene then I definitely wouldn't own a copy of BOV1.
    Oh nooooooooooo!!!!!
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.29.08 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Singer #4 qould have to be an established artist as Sammy was. Without another ego as big as Ed's we will end up with another VH 3. That is what happens when Ed gets everything he wants the way he wants it. I really believe that Ed needs to work with someone that chaps his ass a little. I think 1984 is the best stuff from the Dave era and it happened when Ed couldn't stand Dave or Templeman. When the guy is pissed he makes some kick ass music. Humans Being may be their edgiest Sammy song. I think I see a pattern here...
    believe the lies...there is no truth

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

5150, 1984, OU812, VH II, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, The Inside, A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ross:
    Ok, so in the past I've always advicated Hagar returning to the fold. Why?

1. The "Reunion" factor
    2. The history of their past work
    3. His past relationship with Eddie (not counting the last 2 years he was in the band or so)

But as I listened to the Roth catalog I began to feel differently. These are great songs. Songs that would hardly if ever be played by the Van Hagar juggernaut. The reverse is true also. If Roth came back tomorrow songs like, Humans Being, Right Now, Seventh Seal, Poundcake would be all but forgotten. That's what made the Gary era so cool. No matter what you think of his singing the set lists for that tour were every VAN HALEN fans dream. Sure you have your Van Hagar people and your Van Roth people but I really think that alot of people would like to hear songs from both of the major eras of the band. Thus the need for a new singer, not very well known but not totally out of left field either, to come on and embrace the past catalog like Gary did. Hopefully the result would be more then one album and one tour. Anyway that's my 0.02.
    Right on the money! No disrespect to Gary but bring on Ralph. I just don't think it would be the same if Dave or Sammy came back. It would take a major miracle to work
    Know Ralph<br />Know Van Halen<br /><br />No Ralph<br />No Van Halen

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

5150, 1984, OU812, VH II, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, The Inside, A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by weesfreewheelin:
    If Roth hadn't been a part of the 96 scene then I definitely wouldn't own a copy of BOV1. I would imagine others feel this way. As for the name calling, well consider the source
    I don't own a copy of BOV1 I thought the DLR Band stuff was better then those two tunes. Although I do need to buy it for Humans Being. Don't even throw stones at name calling freewheelin. The guy is right hardline Van Roth and Van Hagar fans are wrong
    Know Ralph<br />Know Van Halen<br /><br />No Ralph<br />No Van Halen