Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

why do i want to puke watching dave do the all-VH nostalgia act?

it's one thing if Van Halen was doing it. at least it would be a legitimate reunion or farwell tour.

it's a whole different matter with dave and a bunch of losers who couldn't make it on their own music.

so his guitar player can play it note for note? so what? it's still not eddie. NONE of the original magic is at work.

as an analogy, it would be like Don Henley doing an all-Eagles performance. sorry, but without Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Don Felder and Timothy Schmidt... it's music, but it AINT THE EAGLES.

so it's goofy dave and a cluster of second rates. and perhaps it's better than nothing.

but i'd have a lot less trouble with it if dave was going out and doing a well-rounded set list of his own stuff mixed with some VH.

sure, he has a right to do an all-VH song list. i know that. just like he has a right to dress like a pimp in that stupid shiny gold suit.

but it doesn't make it RIGHT.

(and for the record... i complain equally about sammy doing WAY too many VH tunes on this tour. he's falling into the same stupid trap.)

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hope that you mean "stigma" and not "stigmata". I personally don't want to see DLR get crucifixion wounds for some reason. The Dave-heads on this board would be out of control then.

But seriously, I think Dave is still either holding out for the reunion, or as Glenn said maybe retiring soon. Because he obviously doesn't care about a solo career. And Sammy feels he needs more of his VH stuff to compete, I'm sure.
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with most of what you are saying SeriousDooDoo. If Dave's setlist was 50% solo material and 50% VH, then I might have an easier time accepting it myself. It seems there a lot of people enjoying DLR's current show though, so I am probably in the minority with my opinion.

I am assuming Dave has given up on the idea of re-uniting with VH. Eddie has repeatedly said he does not want VH to be a nostalgia act, and that he would like for the band to continue to move in different directions. So what does Dave decide to do? He goes out on the road and tries to time warp back to 1984!

The part I don't understand (.....and I'm sure many Roth purists will disagree with me on this) is why Dave is going out and doing the same exact routine he did 20 years ago. He's still wearing those crazy looking, early 80's spandex outfits for one thing. It would not surprise me if he breaks out his assless chaps soon for a show. He's also still doing his act with the bottle of Jack Daniels. Some people will probably tell me to lighten up, but I just find it ridiculous that a close to 50 year old man still acts and dresses like this.
    "Music Is The Best" - Frank Zappa

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

When you don't have any substance, you resort to your past.

If Dave had any original and good material we would hear it. It's not like he's some unknown trying to make it. All he has to do is show up.

And Sammy's obviously only doing it for the money. You'd think the tequila sales would be enough.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i actually like a good amount of daves solo career. i don't think thats the problem, i think the problem is dave doesn't like his own material.

Last Online

08.11.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This is Dave showing Ed that there is demand for "classic" VH. We all know that if the 4 of them would tour, it would be huge.

Jesus, I really wonder why these 2 guys can't get their shit together. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Originally posted by SeriousDooDoo:
    ...as an analogy, it would be like Don Henley doing an all-Eagles performance. sorry, but without Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Don Felder and Timothy Schmidt... it's music, but it AINT THE EAGLES...
    But what if it was Don Henley with Glenn Frey, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

and Birdieman: lighten up!

Who knows why Dave has decided to tour the way he has the past few years? Why he has decided to ignore the past 18 years of his career? Hey, people are enjoying it - I guess that's all that counts.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

I have been uncontrollably laughing my ass off on the title of this thread.

Never mix politics and religion.

Bud you killed me on this one!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by The Full BuD:
    I hope that you mean "stigma" and not "stigmata". I personally don't want to see DLR get crucifixion wounds for some reason. The Dave-heads on this board would be out of control then.

But seriously, I think Dave is still either holding out for the reunion, or as Glenn said maybe retiring soon. Because he obviously doesn't care about a solo career. And Sammy feels he needs more of his VH stuff to compete, I'm sure.
    "stigmata" was intentional. it's a play on words [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

and if dave's still holding out for a reunion, he's going to waiting a long friggin time. i'm sure ed is totally flamed about dave playing an exclusive VH set list while using 'hired guns' to play his tunes note for note. it's a real slap in the choppers.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rocket:
    I have been uncontrollably laughing my ass off on the title of this thread.

Never mix politics and religion.

Bud you killed me on this one!
    thanks, rocketeer. glad you liked it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Birdieman:
    I agree with most of what you are saying SeriousDooDoo. If Dave's setlist was 50% solo material and 50% VH, then I might have an easier time accepting it myself. It seems there a lot of people enjoying DLR's current show though, so I am probably in the minority with my opinion.

I am assuming Dave has given up on the idea of re-uniting with VH. Eddie has repeatedly said he does not want VH to be a nostalgia act, and that he would like for the band to continue to move in different directions. So what does Dave decide to do? He goes out on the road and tries to time warp back to 1984!

The part I don't understand (.....and I'm sure many Roth purists will disagree with me on this) is why Dave is going out and doing the same exact routine he did 20 years ago. He's still wearing those crazy looking, early 80's spandex outfits for one thing. It would not surprise me if he breaks out his assless chaps soon for a show. He's also still doing his act with the bottle of Jack Daniels. Some people will probably tell me to lighten up, but I just find it ridiculous that a close to 50 year old man still acts and dresses like this.
    birdman,

you're right: dave is doing the polar opposite of what ed wants to see right now. it's very clear ed is looking for NEW direction and instead of dave showing any new ideas, he sells out and does an total 80s remake! BARF!! [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

and as far as the dress code goes... both sam and dave are in need of a Fashion Alert makeover!!! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It was obvious (at least to me) from the beginning this tour was about Van Halen. Most of the people in attendance are there for that and the sheer aura that having a ticket with both singers' names on it brings.

Even Sammy figured it out. He went from playing 3-4 VH songs on tour to 7 of them.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The question is, If Eddie joined the AStomic Punks, would they still be a "tribute" band? I say, of course they would be!

McCartney is doing Beatle songs as a tribute!
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ETRIGAN:
    The question is, If Eddie joined the AStomic Punks, would they still be a "tribute" band? I say, of course they would be!

Ok. If Grandma had balls she'd be Grandpa too.

Eddie ain't gonna join the punks and neither would Dave.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by dj88:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ETRIGAN:

Ok. If Grandma had balls she'd be Grandpa too.

Eddie ain't gonna join the punks and neither would Dave.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Let me re-word it. The Atomic Punks joined Dave. Better???
    [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"