Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I understand the legal argument that EVH has to go after everyone to protect his trademarks legally. But why now? Given VH's recent non-activity, it seems bizarre that all of a sudden he is worried about people making money from striped guitars etc. This is a problem in 2002 but wasn't in the mid-80s? And why did he fire Don Engel (one of the foremost music/entertainment litigators)? How is Brett's beach house story tied up in all of this too.

I can see two possible scenarios

1. He really is very sick and is trying to ensure his family is financially secure.

2. He's so pissed off with what happened with VH3 and the fan's non acceptance of his "solo" work without the LSD twins, that he's on some kind of scorched earth mission/take his ball home kind of thing.
    Delusions of eloquence

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you know the truth would be great for once, if he is really sicker then we know, it would be nice to know that he is or is'nt. cant he see that we the fans care more about him than if he would put out new music. if he is sicker i wish him well if he is not that is great, but please dont leave your fans in the dark we only care.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

going after fan sites etc. is nothing new. the networks do it all the time, people post unauthorized still pics of shows like "Buffy" and "Dawson's Creek," and the networks say that's a no-no, that those images belong to them, even if you're not making any money off the site. back when he was still known by the symbol, Prince turned his lawyer on sites that used the symbol, since he has it trademarked also. there was also an issue brought up about listing unauthorized pics and having MIDI files on the sites. Playboy goes after sites for posting their layouts, since they have them on their own website.

maybe the timing is suspect in regards to Ed, but he's really just catching up to what other business entities are doing. 25 years ago, no one knew that things would be where they are at now. bands start out for fun, but eventually the business side has to catch up.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 530 Times in 318 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

There are a number of scenarios that wouldn't surprise me. It also doesn't surprise me that he fired Engel right before all this started. I would guess that Engel either put him in a contractual situation with Peavey that forced him to do this (which I doubt), or that Engel neglected all this, and Eddie bagged him for that. As far as "why NOW" goes, maybe it's coming from Peavey, maybe it's coming from Ed's "new" lawyer, maybe something happened where Ed finally looked around and said WTF? I mean, who knows? Could be the cancer just gave him a wake up call, and when he looked at his situation, he found out he COULD do something about it. Maybe Engel had been telling him he couldn't do anything about it, but then, while dealing with issues around his sickness, his personal lawyer said bullshit, yes you can, and here we are. It's all total speculation.

I would feel confident attributing the timing partially to his illness, but also it's interesting to note what he said about the lawyers fucking up the DLR issue. Maybe he never paid much attention to any of it until then, and when he got involved with his lawyer over the DLR bullshit, he was made aware of all these other issues he should/could be addressing. Same as the WB split timing. You KNOW there must have been lawyers involved, that may have been the impetus for the rest of it. You know, if you gotta paint the room, you should probably fix the wall, and while you're doing that, you should fix the electric, and while that's going on... (can you tell I just bought a house?)

My ultimate guess is that if you want to blame something/someone and you are pissed that this is happening, blame the cancer for opening his eyes, or blame DLR ( ) for getting lawyers in his face, causing him to pay some attention to his own lawyers. (That last part was a joke, I know the Roth heads will say it was Ed's fault for allegedly lowballing Dave)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have/had a D&D site that focused on a campaign setting. Back before Habro bought TSR I had a TSR monkey on my case about some images on the site. It's just a matter of trying to protect what's yours, because failure to do so makes it open domain.

As for the timing, I think it has everything to do with Eddie changing lawyers. I can only speculate as to why he did that, but I'd wager the new group he hired saw his "intellectual property" in a state of shambles and decided they would prove that they were gung-ho go getters by straightening everything out for EVH Inc.

Legally it's well within their rights to do so, but it sure as hell pisses people off when they get attacked over things they do with their own time for no reimbursement.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] I think he's trying to go "Lars" on everyone (maybe that's the sick part). For some reason, when I read about all this legal stuff, Mecrappica came to mind. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's my opinion that the striped guitar business is laying the ground work for Peavey to offer the EVH Custom shop striped Wolfgang that everyone has been asking for. The hangup before all this legal stuff happened? How many people are gonna pay $2000 extra for a paint job they can get someone else to do cheaper? Shut off the other options, and you have to go to Peavey which in turn pads EVH's bank account. Makes perfect sense to me.