Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can see your point. I remember getting my first Fostex 4 track and reading in the manuel NOT to smoke around it. BUT, I think the overall
    culprit of the sorry sound on VH3, is that EVH basically produced it himself and used Mike Post as a bluff for the record company. Warner Bros must have heard things EVH had done on his own in the past, and knew producing wasn't something Ed was that good at. Why else would they insist that they use a producer? Warners had to pay Post. If EVH was good at it, it'd save them money which is the goal of any business.

After 20 years of being surrounded by blasting loud music, there has to be hearing loss. Hell, it's reported that Al has lost much of his hearing. I think Ed had a vision of the CD and gave it his all, but it just wasn't on the mark. There are songs on the CD that I like a lot, but I'm constantly wishing it sounded better. Without You is a main one. Listen to the guitar on Humans Being, CGTSNM, and Me Wise Magic. The guitar sounds amazing on those songs. Wolfgangs thru 5150's, recorded by real producers. The take the same gear and record with EVH producing.
    VH3 is what you get.

T

[ October 21, 2002, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: Trennasol ]

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I see your point but I agree with Trennasol. There's more to the quality drop from Humans Being/the 2 new Roth songs to III.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Please don\'t make me choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been running a demo studio out of my home for a little while now and as much as I'm up to par, maintance ain't strong suit. Long story short, I smoke three packs a day and have finally started noticing discrepencies in my work due to nicotine tar build up. Thin layers on things like the cones on my monitors, even my mic diaphrams. Without noticing, I just kept compensating for the room until I finally started to hear the differences in other listening environments.

What I'm getting at is, we know how comfortable Ed got in the studio (e.g. punching in with his foot), and how invovled he was with every phase of the product that became III (e.g. the GW interview when he goes in depth on his dealings with the mastering house). Add that to Ed's history to do what he wants anyway (e.g. Fair Warning "overnight" sessions) it seems to me that smoking not only ruined his health, but possibly the overall quality of III

Chomp on that for a bit.

TD
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think all three of you are right.
    The song ain't dirty
    It's really just the way we sing it

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

people with money have their places cleaned....i'm sure someone tidies up the place to a spit shine...don't know bout that theory.... [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Please don\'t make me choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by muffdiver:
    people with money have their places cleaned....i'm sure someone tidies up the place to a spit shine...don't know bout that theory.... [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    Many interviews made mention of the omnipresent layer of ash on everything in that place. And we've all seen how he takes care of his things, and himself for that matter.... so I wouldn't be so sure about the "spit shine" studio.
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Cigarette smoke and all the shit in it will definitely suck the life out of your sound. My band ('81-'91) made a demo in winter 1990. Although we cleaned the heads, by the end of the sessions - about 20 hours total - the top end was missing. We were all smoking and all the chemicals and residue permeated everything. When we banned ciggs our recordings kicked ass. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

You know something? I think the only reason we would smoke while we played was because we saw Eddie do it.

[ October 24, 2002, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Metal Marc ]

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

well yer lucky...some people are really addicted to smokes...not doin' it to look cool... [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    as far as the sound goes...these guys and their help are professionals....i'm sure someone woulda
    thought of this if that's what it was ...c'mon they're not rookies....lol