Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First, let me say that I love Van Halen the band! But from all the shit I've heard about, and read about, and from the way Van Halen treats it's fans I have to ask-does anyone else think that Eddie Van Halen seems like an asshole? Please, I'm not trying to start a flame war, it just seems that the majority of Van Halens problems stem from him. He seems like the kind of guy that would stab you in the back. Roth, Hagar, Mike, and maybe Alex, seem like they would be fun to hang out with but Eddie seems like he would be a real annoying guy. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks this?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

he is annoying in a way. and he doesn't like roth. why not? dlr looks like a fun guy to hang out with. i think evh would be nice to his fans and other people.
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think there's an interview I've read where Eddie is not slagging somebody. Jesus, he once said in an interview that Joe Perry isn't a very good guitarist (sorry people, Joe Perry is a very good guitarist...not one of the best in the world, but really smokin'), he's insulted past people he's worked with time and time again, he's bitched about fans and said openly that their collective opinions really don't matter (hey, he can feel that way if he wants to)...I don't like him personally. I think he's stabbed a lot of people in the back. I also think this way of Alex. I think Alex is definitely a little more sane than his brother, but he's very business-oriented and not so trustworthy either. Watching those guys simply destroy both previous singers in the same series of interviews in '96 was very unsettling. I lost a lot of respect for them. I read interviews with Dave and Sammy and they were much more guarded and much more believable. I think both Sammy and Dave are nice guys, probably both fun to hang out with. Mike also seems like a very nice guy but without backbone.

Anyway, I guess I don't care what I think of the people. It's the music that matters. I love Led Zeppelin, and Robert Plant is an asshole.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"Without a guitar in his hands, Eddie Van Halen is a crummy human being" - David Lee Roth, 1997
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by FORD:
    "Without a guitar in his hands, Eddie Van Halen is a crummy human being" - David Lee Roth, 1997
    Never heard/read that before. Unfortunately, it is believable. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

Well, this post is definitely in the right place. It's hard for me to have an opinion on what type of a person Eddie is because I don't personally know him. I can only get a read on him from interviews of him and from others talking about him.
    If a lot of VH's problems stem from him it's because it's his band. The Eddie of 1978 is probably a lot different than the Eddie of 2002. Anyway, I'm not naive to the fact that things aren't even close to perfect in that band but I have a feeling that the Ray Danniels hiring and his cancer has really put a damper on a great career.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave always seemed a little too "over-the-top" for my tastes. That doesn't make him a person, just not someone I could feel comfortable around.

He may be an irritable, insecure, whining old man, but Eddie is entitled his opinion on his former bandmates (as flawed and wrong as they may be).
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Eddie probably suffers from the same thing that most rock stars in his position suffer from--too many people standing around telling him he's the king and can do no wrong.
    Eat Us and Smile!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FORD:
    "Without a hypocrisy in his mouth, FORD is a speechless human being" - SirBrownSound, 2002

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 AM
    Liked 11,554 Times in 4,923 Posts

Ed's problems really stem from the fact that he has never been good with his fame. He has never been very outspoken, he's not a brazen guy, he is very shy and I think he comes off like he's very arrogant and removed, which could be unfair. He has made some hypocritical statements (as all rock stars do, INCLUDING DLR), and his judgement on the direction of the band may have been slighly askew, but he just isn't a public person. He has said it himself, he doesn't deal with fame very well, and that is obvious, he is very uncomfortable around people.

Dave is probably a cool dude, but I doubt he would be much fun to hang around with as he is way to into "being Dave" and putting on a show all day, all night. It's kind of annoying and frankly, phony.

Al doesn't look like much fun anymore, he's a grumpy, bitter guy now for the most part. I guess all those divorces takes their toll on a man.

Sam would probably be OK to hang around with, but I bet he talks too much. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mike is probably the most down-to-earth guy, but has hurt is reputation lately by recanting comments he made a few months back unfortunately. I think he's just as frustrated as the rest of us.

Oh BTW, Ed's comments on Joe Perry were right on...he does suck. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by hain23x:
    Eddie probably suffers from the same thing that most rock stars in his position suffer from--too many people standing around telling him he's the king and can do no wrong.
    I kind of see it as more of a "Hell hath no fury like a reformed alcoholic" scenario. The guy's overcompensated for all those years of standing fogged in the shadows of the equally colossal egos of both Roth and Hagar, and has become a rather jaded, paranoid control-freak as a result. It's too bad he can't control himself as well, a drink or two a day could probably work wonders for his attitude.

SBS

[ January 22, 2002 at 02:01 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]</p>
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Without a guitar in his hands, Eddie Van Halen is a crummy human
    being" - David Lee Roth, 1997
    More quotes from the bible of Roth from his own little Moses again, eh? BTW, Eddie only said those things about Joe Perry because Joe Perry blew him off at a party once when Van Halen first came onto the scene. He's since said some very complimentary things about Perry in later interviews. He's done the same thing with Jimmy Page. Nobody is supposed to like everybody, and things are said in the heat of the moment that aren't really meant. Dave does that shit all of the time. Big f-n deal.
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Brett:
    Ed's problems really stem from the fact that he has never been good with his fame. He has never been very outspoken, he's not a brazen guy, he is very shy and I think he comes off like he's very arrogant and removed, which could be unfair. He has made some hypocritical statements (as all rock stars do, INCLUDING DLR), and his judgement on the direction of the band may have been slighly askew, but he just isn't a public person. He has said it himself, he doesn't deal with fame very well, and that is obvious, he is very uncomfortable around people.

Dave is probably a cool dude, but I doubt he would be much fun to hang around with as he is way to into "being Dave" and putting on a show all day, all night. It's kind of annoying and frankly, phony.

Al doesn't look like much fun anymore, he's a grumpy, bitter guy now for the most part. I guess all those divorces takes their toll on a man.

Sam would probably be OK to hang around with, but I bet he talks too much. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mike is probably the most down-to-earth guy, but has hurt is reputation lately by recanting comments he made a few months back unfortunately. I think he's just as frustrated as the rest of us.

Oh BTW, Ed's comments on Joe Perry were right on...he does suck. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Oh well, to each his own. I think Joe Perry isn't the most technically talented guitar player, but some of his licks in 70's Aerosmith are awesome. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

all accept vh3
    Favorite VH Song

all accept vh3
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this may sound shitty but i think what evh needs is to go back to drinking and make some great music again. i mean come on vh really started to have problems when ed got sober. and thought he would take over saying this is my name and my band. give me a break ed
    "CANT CROW BEFORE I'M OUTTA THE WOODS BUT THERES EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 AM
    Liked 11,554 Times in 4,923 Posts

Originally posted by Rikk:
    I think Joe Perry isn't the most technically talented guitar player, but some of his licks in 70's Aerosmith are awesome. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Keyword in that phrase Rikk, 70's. Yes in the 70's he had some good licks, yeppers. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!