Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Does anyone think the band is working on getting a BOV2 ready?

The band has said they're in the studio working, and MA has been doing background vocals. They owe WB another greatest hits album.

I imagine the last year and a half's turmoil has brought about listening to a lot of old music, and perhaps a few things that never made it out the door. That would seem to be the perfect time to think about and prepare BOV2.

We know that TWILY could be on the album, as it was finished during the 3 sessions. How far along was Between Us Two? With some studio magic and some additional backing vocals, y'all think it'd be usable? Were any tracks from the 3 follow-up usable?

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I doubt it, and I certainly hope not. How bad would that look; a greatest hits album (BOV1), then the poorest selling album in the bands' history, only to be followed by yet another greatest hits album? The only way I could see that would be if they were just trying to fulfill their WB contract so they could be done with it.

Otherwise, I would say that it would be a really bad sign as to where the band is at. If this was the case, I'd much rather they put out a "rarities" type CD than another greatest hits album.

Really, what songs would they put on it? Because the point of doing a greatest hits album would be to target casual listeners. All of the major song titles (Jump, Panama, Dance the Night Away, Why Can't This Be Love, Right Now etc) that casual music fans would recognize are on the first Best of. You don't release greatest hits albums just for the hard core fans.

To me, another hits album would be a terrible creative step, and probably wouldn't be a great business or financial step either. (Therefore that's probably exactly what VH is doing!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:

To me, another hits album would be a terrible creative step, and probably wouldn't be a great business or financial step either. (Therefore that's probably exactly what VH is doing!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yuup

What else left ?

All former singers are OUT

they are recording backing vocals
    on PRO TOOLS
    ( digital ! remember Ed hates that !!!)
    maybe for the leftovers with gary
    ore the 3 new songs with dave
    The rest will be old stuff.

Who cares ?
    No News is Good News !
    [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

No.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I agree. They shouldn't put out another greatest hits collection after such a poor-selling album. They need a brand new album to re-establish themselves as the best band in rock. THEN they could release BOV2.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

So given the choice of nothing or some unreleased stuff on a greatest hits, you guys would pick nothing? That's all we're gonna get in the short-term, gentlemen.

Most people who buy something like BOV1 aren't people that own many VH albums. This'd at least get their name out there on something successful, and get us something new too.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I doubt it.
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    So given the choice of nothing or some unreleased stuff on a greatest hits, you guys would pick nothing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I didn't realize the original post was posing the question of if we'd rather have another Best of or nothing. If that's the question, even though I still think a BOV2 is a bad idea, I'd still take it as opposed to nothing at all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Most people who buy something like BOV1 aren't people that own many VH albums. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly my earlier point. And how many casual music fans are going to look at a BOV 2, see titles like Romeo Delight, Judgement Day, Atomic Punk, Little Guitars etc and be compelled to buy it? That was my point about it being a bad move business-wise, because except for the die hard fans, the songs that would be likely to make it onto another Best of would be unlikely appeal to many casual fans. They've already tapped out that market with the big songs being used on BOV1.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    I didn't realize the original post was posing the question of if we'd rather have another Best of or nothing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was wondering if y'all thought it was possible that they're working on BOV2 originally.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And how many casual music fans are going to look at a BOV 2, see titles like Romeo Delight, Judgement Day, Atomic Punk, Little Guitars etc and be compelled to buy it? That was my point about it being a bad move business-wise, because except for the die hard fans, the songs that would be likely to make it onto another Best of would be unlikely appeal to many casual fans. They've already tapped out that market with the big songs being used on BOV1.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it would be good for business. There are enough recognizable songs left that people would know some of them. When I but a greatest hits album, it's usually because I know a bit about the band, and some of the songs. So I take a chance on the rest, assuming that they'll be listenable. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

The idea behind greatest hits albums isn't just that one album sale. They're a driver for the bands back catalog.

Try this out:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>You Really Got Me<LI>Icecream Man<LI>Beautiful Girls<LI>Everybody Wants Some!!<LI>Mean Street<LI>Pretty Woman<LI>Hot For Teacher<LI>5150<LI>Cabo Wabo<LI>Top Of The World<LI>Not Enough[/list]

Add in TWILY, and a few diamonds in the rough.

There are quite a few well-known tunes in there, along with some lesser-known material. You'll hook people who browse, and drive sales of the back catalog after the release.

If they market it right, it would be an ideal platform to launch a monster of a reunion album. They've put out the remasters, obviously thinking that they'd have a reunion to drive sales. That hasn't happened yet, and most likely won't this year.

If they prep BOV2 like that, make an announcement about work on a reunion album commencing, and then release BOV2 during the media hype following an announcement they'd do well.

At this point I don't see the silent treatment being used. The cat's out of the bag. They might as well do things the best way they can. From a business standpoint, I think that would be getting more records off the selves, more people aware of an awsome back-catalog, and more people excited and anticipating the next album.

Just my thoughts at the moment. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 14, 2001 at 07:07 PM: Message edited by: MikeL ]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>By MikeL
    I was wondering if y'all thought it was possible that they're working on BOV2 originally<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what I based my first response on. I don't think they are, and don't think it's a good idea.

I look at that song selection you chose, and it's as good (or as likely) as any potential BOV2 song selection I could come up with. But I just don't see that there are enough tunes with big enough names there that are going to influence people to buy it. Oddly(with the exception of Hot For Teacher, which could possibly be left out because it was on the Japanese BOV1), You Really Got Me and Oh Pretty Woman are the songs most likely to grab a casual listener, and those are much hated (not the songs themselves, just the fact that they are covers) cover tunes.

And I still don't think even they would be enough to drive enough sales that would offset how strange it would seem to have a second Best of album so soon after the last one.

I'd buy it for sure, but I don't see it being a big seller, nor doing too much for the back catalogue.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

How well have Steve Miller's greatest hits albums sold? He had a couple come out in fairly quick succession, if I recall. I own 2 of them, and I'm just a casual fan. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Like most greatest hits albums I buy, I only knew a couple of the songs at the time.

As for the issue of covers, that's not something most people concern themselves with. Some of VH's greatest successes have been covers. The greatest hits should reflect this.

Here's an idea that current fans will hate. Take one of the first tunes that will be recorded with Dave and put it on BOV2. Yeah, yeah... deja vu. But that drove BOV1 to double platinum. That's good business. It'll stir interest in the reunion (if just from vultures waiting for it to fail) and give them a credible single for BOV2.

Marketing-wise, that would be the best thing they could do near-term that would enhance the long-term.

Don't forget that greatest hits aren't for die-hard fans.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

And as for if they're working on it... I dunno. But what else would fit what they've said?

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

As for the issue of covers, that's not something most people concern themselves with. Some of VH's greatest successes have been covers. The greatest hits should reflect this.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree, but I was speaking from the EVH perspective. Even though Eddie said that he had little to do with the song selection for BOV1, I can't help but think that his attitude about covers (and DD in general) kept Diver Down from being represented on the BOV album. I can't see how he'd want a second Best of album highlighted by cover tunes as the most known songs.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

How well have Steve Miller's greatest hits albums sold? He had a couple come out in fairly quick succession, if I recall. I own 2 of them, and I'm just a casual fan. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm a casual fan too, and I own neither of them. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Doesn't the band owe WB another GH album? When they signed on for 2, they had to know that those covers would wind up in the mix. Could Ed have been thinking that he'd be able to expand the possible selection of originals enough to pretend he never did covers?

Or is the situation more as he suggested, that he really doesn't care so much what goes on a GH album?