Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave Solo

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I haven't really heard much of Dave's solo work, I'm more into Sammy, but was wondering what you guys think about his music. Maybe ranking each album, listing a few favorite songs, and telling about the albums would help me find some songs I like.

------------------
    Dan Halen
    http://www.geocities.com/dan_halen27/main.html

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Good topic, Dan.

I'll throw this on over to the "Opinions/Speculations," forum since Dave is a part of VH.

Sammy's got his music representing over there, so it's only right to equal it out with some Dave, to be fair.

------------------
    "Fuck you. I give you my ass." - Rick S' dog, as interpreted by track 5

Official Bartender Of VHLinks

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Well being one that SAW Dave live last year, I can say that Dave was on. His voice was in good shape. As for his solo things, all I have is EEAS, and the best of. Not counting the bootleg stuff I have. As for the rankings question, EEAS is THE best ever IMO. That cd is on from the start. You will not be let down on that one. Get "The Best." ,and after that, you can decide if you want to buy the others. Out

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave's solo stuff is kind of like a mixed bag.

I'd say most VH fans could easily get into Eat 'Em and Smile and Skyscraper.

Since I just got EEAS and YFLM and haven't given them too much of a listen, I don't know how well I'd rank them, but Skyscraper is my personal favorite. Reason being songs like Just Like Paradise, Hina, Perfect Timing, Stand Up, Damn Good, etc.

If you can find the DLR Band CD you'll probably enjoy it. It's kind of a mix between classic VH sound and modern rock/metal sound in a way that works, doesn't make you want to hurl, but just doesn't grab you exactly like a VH album but won't disappoint. Slam Dunk was the single, but honestly Slam Dunk isn't all that great of a song compared to the album.

ALAE has a different band than the first two albums and the DLR Band CD and it shows from a different direction from Dave. It's solid, but doesn't have songs that runaway from the pack like his first two albums do. If you like other DLR stuff you hear you'll like this one.

EEAS, from what I've listened to, sounds pretty decent too. I can tell it's not better than Skyscraper, IMHO, but I don't know where I'll put it in relation to DLR Band.

YFLM I haven't given a listen to yet, but it's supposed to be a real departure from previous DLR solo stuff, and if you care about that stuff, it got horrible reviews from the critics (which usually means jack).

Finding ALAE and YFLM will be hard since WB doesn't make them anymore. DLR Band will be hit or miss since it's an indie label with poor distribution.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kat:

02. Yankee Rose - (EEAS)
    07. It's Showtime! - (ALAE)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, kat - had to make a couple of corrections.

------------------
    "Goin' to the ocean
    Why don't you come with me
    We'll slide right off
    The backside
    Of a dream"

Eat Us And Smile, y'all

For more great Van Halen discussion, visit www.DLRArmy.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Depends on what day it is
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All of DLR's solo stuff is Great. The only one that's a little off center is Your Filthy Little Mouth. But its supposed to be off center. All of "Eat 'em" is great as is "Skyscraper". "A Little Ain't Enough" is un-beleivably good. Jason Becker wails on that one. But you really owe it to yourself to pick up "DLRBand" if your wondering what he sounds like recently. It rocks!!!All of it!!!Don't cheat yourself by just getting The Best...You need to hear all of the songs.

------------------
    "It's all over but the SHOUTING...
    I've come to take what's mine!"

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

Okay, now that I'm up-to-date all over the world, let me just offer my comments on the albums:

The Best - you can't go wrong starting here, but don't stop here. Gets you a quick fix of most of the vital Dave, but there's still gems out there.

Crazy From The Heat - all covers - just 4 songs, 3 of which are on The Best - is "Coconut Grove" worth it? Depends upon how you feel about mellow covers. Wish they would've included the "California Girls" and "Just A Gigolo" remixes to add some value, or price it like a single. I still don't have it on CD.

Eat 'Em And Smile - A great set of tunes - includes 4 covers: "Shy Boy", "Tobacco Road", "I'm Easy", & "That's Life". Again, if you don't like covers, the only songs you lose by getting The Best are "Elephant Gun" and "Bump And Grind". Steve Vai is a guitar wizard, but his sound is not as warm as Edward's, and he doesn't subscribe to the less is more theory. But don't take this to mean this is not an excellent album - it is. Moves right along, too.

Skyscraper is a little more mainstream - no covers, and a little more poppy (but rock poppy, not Back Street Boys poppy). Worth the price of admission for "Damn Good", "Knucklebones" and "Hina"

A Little Ain't Enough is my personal favourite of the Dave solo years. Didn't start out that way, but after many listens I started to appreciate the songs here. I like the guitar sound of Becker and Hunter better than Vai. Songs that shine that didn't make The Best include "Lady Luck", "Tell The Truth", "The Dogtown Shuffle" and "Last Call" - which owes a lot to Aerosmith's "Walk This Way".

Missed the chance to own Your Filthy Little Mouth so far - I will not buy used or cut out, so hopefully I will either find a pristine copy somewhere or Warner Brothers will rerelease it and A Little Ain't Enough (which never should have been dropped anyway). I do like the three songs that are on The Best

DLR Band is a little harder than the earlier efforts and not as polished, but it has its gems. I haven't had it that long, and it won't play in my CD player so I don't play it as much as the others, but songs that stick out so far are "Lose The Dress (Keep The Shoes)", "King Of The Hill", "Going Places...", "Wa Wa Zat!!" and "Black Sand". Plus how can you miss with a title like "Weekend With The Babysitter" and the line "little Elvis is combat ready"?

All in all, David Lee Roth's solo efforts are a great extension of the Van Halen legacy and should be a part of any Van Halen fan's library.

------------------
    "Goin' to the ocean
    Why don't you come with me
    We'll slide right off
    The backside
    Of a dream"

Eat Us And Smile, y'all

For more great Van Halen discussion, visit www.DLRArmy.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blueeyedmurder:
    All of DLR's solo stuff is Great. The only one that's a little off center is Your Filthy Little Mouth. But its supposed to be off center.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only got YFLM recently, I was curious after all the negative talk about it. I like that album a lot - Dave doesn't need screaming guitars to sound good (though it helps!). It still has his trademark attitude, charisma and cool lyrics and some great songs too.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Billy007,

Thanks for catching the slippage...I gotta remember to proof before hitting the red button.

------------------
    "My belligerent enthusiasm is as optimistic as ever" - DLR

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Dave's solo work is really full of gems. ALAE is the best of them. If you like loud rock and roll, that's the one to get.

You can't go wrong with any of the first 3. The last two... well, let's just have to be a fan. YFLM is full of Dave's best lyrics. DLR Band is really over-rated in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I do really enjoy it. But it's simply not the second coming of classic Van Halen as some would have you believe.

Lot's of people will think I'm nuts, but ALAE is right up there with Fair Warning as my favorite albums.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

A Little Ain't Enough is easily my favorite DLR solo album. Top to bottom, the songs are great. People who are put off by this album may think that Steve Vai to Jason Becker is a huge loss. Let me just say that the move from Steve to Jason is refreshing and brings out a side to Dave that might have stayed hidden had he kept working with Steve.

Eat Em and Smile is a great album, and it's so short you'll miss it if you blink. I would say this is the album you'd most expect from Dave if you were only familiar with his VH years.

Skyscraper is cool, but the sound of it isn't anywhere near as great as EEAS, which is disappointing because Skyscraper is stacked with great songs. The overproduction is one of the reasons that Billy Sheehan left, and he says he's got demos of Skyscraper that blow away the album.

Your Filthy Little Mouth is cool, except for a few songs right in the middle; Cheatin' Heart Cafe, Hey You Never Know and No Big Ting don't really work for me. The rest is great; check out Experience, Night Life, You're Breathin It.

DLR Band is great music, and it shows that there's still a place for a personality like Dave's in the music world. Black Sand is a stunning song, probably my favorite, though Little Texas is close.

Crazy From the Heat is cool, most people have heard the two big songs, but to me Coconut Grove is the real gem on the EP.

The Best is a pretty good overview, we fans could argue for days about what was, and wasn't, included, but that's normal.

Sorry that was out of order, but I was just free associating.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd agree with you there Mike L, ALAE is a masterpiece, I absolutely love this album, WB have to re-release this monster of an album.

Any fan of Classic VH I'm sure would love DLR's solo stuff especially EEAS, ALAE and DLR Band which are his most VH sounding records.

Dan Halen - get into solo DLR, you won't be disappointed.

------------------
    You people knock me on my
    ass literally, man.
    - DLR after falling onstage - Dublin 1991

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well...I love Dave's solo albums, so this is a loaded question.

My suggestion would be to get "The Best". You will be able to sample some songs off of each album..er..CD. It spans 1985-1997 with the following track listing:

01. Don't Piss Me Off
    02. Yankee Rose - Skyscraper (SS)
    03. A Lil' Ain't Enough - A Lil'Ain't Enough (ALAE)
    04. Just Like Paradise - SS
    05. Big Train - Your Filthy Little Mouth (YFLM)
    06. Big Trouble - Eat 'Em and Smile (EEAS)
    07. It's Showtime! - YFLM
    08. Hot Dog and a Shake - SS
    09. Skyscraper - SS
    10. Shyboy - EEAS
    11. She's My Machine - YFLM
    12. Stand Up - SS
    13. Tobacco Road - EEAS
    14. Easy Street - Crazy from the Heat (CFTH)
    15. California Girls - CFTH
    16. Just a Gigalo - CFTH
    17. Sensible Shoes - ALAE
    18. Goin' Crazy! - EEAS
    19. Ladies' Night in Buffalo? - EEAS
    20. Land's Edge - YFLM

Also recommend the DLR Band since it's not represented above. I really enjoy this one...guess it's because it's the newest in my collection.

------------------
    "My belligerent enthusiasm is as optimistic as ever" - DLR

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Master Joe:
    Dan Halen - get into solo DLR, you won't be disappointed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will do. I guess I'll first check out "The Best" and see what I think.

------------------
    Dan Halen

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Damn, It's Showtime! sounds a lot like Hot For Teacher!!!

------------------
    Dan Halen