Register
    On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.24.08 @ 02:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When Sam da man joined the mighty V back in 85 and they did the 5150 album and went on tour,the keyboard songs that Ed wrote where in the live situation he would play keys and Sammy would play all Eddie's guitar parts.
    I wonder if Ed's subsuquent decision to sequence the keyboards on all of the remaining tours that they did with Sam was affected by what he heard in Sammy's playin'.
    Did he think that Sam was no good and fucked up all the parts or was it that he really didn't want Sam to play on the songs that HE wrote only on the ones that Sammy wrote like One Way to Rock and '55 [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ April 17, 2001 at 04:21 AM: Message edited by: pkjr ]

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was most likely a band decision, and may have just been easier for them. I didn't think Sammy did a bad job, judging from the Live Without a Net video. From a fan point of view I think people want to see Eddie with a guitar in his hands and not in front of a keyboard, that may have played a roll as well. Didn't look right seeing Eddie without a guitar in his hands, my opinion.

Good question though for those who enjoy conspiricies. Was there a plot by Eddie to keep a guitar away from Sammy?
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think Ed most definately wanted to keep the guitar parts for himself, at least in the studio. When they'd play One Way To Rock with both Ed and Sam on guitar, it just sounded great. I wish they would have explored that in their writing. They could have really added a new dynamic to the sound.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your right, Eddie and Sammy playing guitar in studio, would have been awsome. Only flaw with that is Eddie's ego can't handle a singer much less another guitar player!
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think ego had anything to do with it.
    If you listen to Ed's style of writing, and watch his hands, you might notice he writes just about all his songs using triads and two note structures which sound like chords. That means he can move all over the neck combining rhythm and leads at the same time. Sammy doesn't write anything like that. He uses strong rhythm patterns and then puts leads over them.
    For sammy to do guitar parts that Ed wrote on the "guitar" he'd have to follow the same structures, and while he is talented, he's not a guitarist that can do that while he's singing.
    While Ed played the keyboard it was fine for sammy to sing and play some rhythm, adding the occasional lead, but trying to follow what Ed was doing on guitar, while singing would make him look rediculous. When they did One Way to Rock I agree, that was great, but it's a simple chord structure that "Sammy" wrote.
    As long as they both followed the chords they could take turns soloing over a repetetive rhythm. If Ed had to change his style of writing to suit Sam's playing, that would have changed the sound of VH and put a real clamp on what Ed would be able to write for the band.
    I'm sure it was a band decision, but Sammy's smart enough to realize what he'd be up against trying to follow Ed. No ego involved. I think putting the guitar down and concentrating on his vocals was a smart move on his part, and it sure didn't hurt record sales.

[ April 17, 2001 at 01:14 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Jesus, I wish our singer would put down the god damned guitar and sing. Leave the guitar playing to the guitar players. It's not like I step up and want to sing a couple verses. Ooops, sorry, did that slip out?
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don`t you just wish they`d re recorded a studio version of Theres Only One Way To Rock with them both of them playing on it like they did in the live set, for a b-side or something.Maybe they could have done a covers e.p. in between albums just to keep the ball rollin`.Stuff like they did in the live sets, like Rock n Roll and Won`t Get Fooled Again,Superstition and Rockin In The Free World.
    VAN HALEN FOREVER!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember seeing a video,Love Walks In live....I think, and Ed was on the keyboards,Sam did the solo.They showed Eddie for a minute and it looked as if he was trying not to laugh or was just amused at Sammy playing it.I get a kick out of it every time I see it.Don't get me wrong,Sam's a good player! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    Guitar player,extrordinaire(or at least I like to think)<br /><br />"....man,this is Van Halen,and i'm the singer." Sammy-1987<br /><br /><a href="http://www.guitartabs.cc/" target="_blank">www.guitartabs.cc/</a>

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn, here I am thinking that i'm a hardcore van halen fan and I didn't even know that Sam played ALL of eds guitar parts back then, including solos.