Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I've seen tons of threads saying things like "if Dave isn't in the band, it ain't Van HALEN" and all that. So, I got to thinking. Here is your time to speculate on what really defines what and more importantly WHO make up Van Halen. When does VH not remain VH anymore?

a) Dave leaves the band...is it VH???
    b) Ed leaves the band...can it be VH???
    c) Al leaves the band...still VH???
    d) Mike leaves the band...is it still VH??? (note: this is the one I'm really looking forward to reading about.)
    e) Sammy leaves the band...still VH???
    f) Ed, Al and Mike play instrumentals ala Santana...still VH???

Discuss amongst ourselves.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    I've seen tons of threads saying things like "if Dave isn't in the band, it ain't Van HALEN" and all that. So, I got to thinking. Here is your time to speculate on what really defines what and more importantly WHO make up Van Halen. When does VH not remain VH anymore?

d) Mike leaves the band...is it still VH??? (note: this is the one I'm really looking forward to reading about.)

Discuss amongst ourselves.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

a..yes
    b..no
    c...no
    d..no way in hell. the vh brothers could never hold a group together without mikey
    e...yes
    f...hmmm...gimme some more time on this one [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:02 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. The singer is the most recognizable sound of most bands, including Van Halen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Although in a lot of bands, guitarists are replaceable, those with signature sounds aren't. And I think we'd agree Edward has a rather distinctive style.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. While Alex is one of my favourite drummers, I'm not sure if you gave me 5 tapes of drummers drumming, I could tell you which one was Alex. Replaceable.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, same reason as Alex. He would be missed more for his harmony vocals than his bass playing, though again, I like his bass playing.

e) Sammy (joins/)leaves the band...still VH???.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. What is understood need not be discussed, or something like that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Negatory.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

VAN HALEN IS

Alex
    Eddie
    Mikey
    Dave

PERIOD! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it has the VH symbol and name on the CD cover, like it or not IT IS VAN HALEN. (that is also a reminder to myself if that arrogant asshole DLR were singing)

Because VH is guitar driven and is based on Eddie's sound, he is the only member that VH could no longer be VH without.

Alex...replaceable, yes he is a good drummer, but so is my next door neighbour.

Mike...background vocals are amazing, but just look up the local VH tribute bands and there ya go.

Singer...well, they certainly made a mark with Sammy didn't they. First number one album, single...it wasn't with Dave.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

uh, did you forget Jump??

Eat Us and Smile!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zadian:
    If it has the VH symbol and name on the CD cover, like it or not IT IS VAN HALEN. (that is also a reminder to myself if that arrogant asshole DLR were singing)

Because VH is guitar driven and is based on Eddie's sound, he is the only member that VH could no longer be VH without.

Mike...background vocals are amazing, but just look up the local VH tribute bands and there ya go.

Singer...well, they certainly made a mark with Sammy didn't they. First number one album, single...it wasn't with Dave.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a difference between "Van Halen" and Van-fucking-HALEN. "Van Halen" is something that pretends to be what it's not, e.g. Van Hagar and Van Danniels. It's a name recognition band living off a reputation it no longer upholds. Van-fucking-HALEN is the legendary, in-your-face, party like there's no tomorrow band of 1974-1985 which has four irreplaceable parts--Ed, Alex, Mike, and Dave. If any one of them is not present, it's not Van HALEN.

If you don't like Dave, then I don't know how the hell you're a Van Halen fan in the first place. Dave has an ego, but it's more of a swagger, and frankly in order to be one of the best frontmen in rock history you need that braggadocio to set yourself apart from the rest. Ed ain't an angel either, not only does he have a gigantic ego, he doesn't have one-tenth the personality of Dave. In the words of Dave from a 1997 interview, "Eddie Van Halen is a pretty crummy human being without a guitar in his hands."

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zadian:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

a) NO
    b) NO
    c) YES
    d) YES
    e) YES Shit Head is not the original singer, A gorilla could have replaced Dave and 5150 would have been a success. Van Halen was hot and coming off of 1984. Shit Head was in the right place at the right time. When are all you children going to aceept that!
    f) [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Here's my take on it...

Van Halen was created by four individual and special people. The sound, style and showmanship were like no other. When Mach 1 was on top of their game (latter FW thru 1984) there was NO ONE who could top them. They created a magic and mystique that was genuine and is still revered to this day. When a piece of the machine was replaced, the sound and "magic" if you will, DID indeed change...although to me, the new four elements created a different style that was magical all unto itself.

Mach 3 is anyone's guess.

My point for this topic is who can really be replaced before you cannot call it VH anymore. This isn't another pointless thread to start another DLR / SH war...quite the contrary. I'm looking at the band's entire history and tossing in a lot of "what if's"...

What if Mike had been replaced by Billy S after FW? Would it have still been VH? My thought is that even though the initial sound that had gotten them to that point would be altered somewhat, they would remain VH.

What if Ed had joined KISS during Creatures of the Night? Would Steve Vai or Vinnie Vincent or Tom Scholz or whomever...would they be able to fill the void of Ed and continue under the name of Van Halen?? Emphatically I say NO.

Dave left...Sammy joins. Van Halen (or should I say Van HALEN?? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )??? Yes, yet the legend is tarnished. Sammy polished it up with a different kind of laquer (sp) and to me, they still created magic...albeit a bit different.

How can DLR leave and it remain VH and Ed leaves and it can't?? Simple...the name of the band is VH and honestly, I think that what got the band on the map of rock & roll was not a long haired blonde singer. It was the guitar virtuosity of one Eddie Van Halen. Had it been Dave's antics that propelled them to the limelight, Black Oak Arkansas would have been there a lot earlier.

I don't want to sound like I'm diminishing Dave's role...I just think, IMO, that the band DID continue as Van Halen after he left.

Now to the present...let's look at another option. Sammy calls Mike on KSHE last week and he announces, while Mike is on the phone, that MA has joined the Wabs...are Ed, Al and "singer X" PLUS a new bass player going to be considered Van Halen? What if "singer X" is DLR...is it still VH then?

I'm asking WAY too many questions tonight...
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right Now Van Halen is a band that hasn't done shit in an aweful long time. No matter who is in the band, they gotta Get Up off their asses and make it work. I'm tired of sitting around waiting for these dudes, at this point anything they'd do would be Good Enough for me. I know most people are Feelin' kinda bummed out since they've all been waiting for so long for something to happen and they've got nothing.

ALL in all, DAVE needs to come back bad - We seriously need to see DLR front this band for one last time. [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Whoa Axeslinger...do I sense a change 'cause nothin' feels the same. I thought you were an avid DLR guy. Your posts seem to lean more to the Red side of things. I know it's hard to understand what's going on...on the inside of all of our thoughts, but man just we gotta keep the faith!

[img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/scared.gif[/img]

Oh hell...I just interjected a damn Bon Jovi lyric into an otherwise clever Van Halen inspired post! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ September 08, 2001 at 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Cabo Kid ]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't think you can answer this one with just yes and no.

Go back to 1984. Ask anyone if VH would be VH without DLR. You'd get a no.

Ask the same question in 1988. You'd get a yes.

Ask it again in late-1996 to 1998. You'd get a fuck no!

As a brand of music, VH is supposed to be fun and great to listen to. If it's not that, than it's not VH.

Does the band need Eddie to be VH? Sure. If he left, the band would cease to exist. If Eddie is contingent upon Al, than you have your answer for him too.

What about Mike? VH gets a big-name bass player who can sing for a nice, tidy salary. Why would they get rid of him? If Ed doesn't like the way he plays a part, 3 showed that Ed will just play it himself. And Mike let's him. Why on Earth would VH replace him? And why would he choose to leave? No respect? He would seem to be used to that.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

Here are my opinions on this:

One way to look at it: Dave was in Van Halen, Sammy was in Van Hagar and Gary was in the Eddie Van Halen project. To answer your question, yes, it's still VH.

No way. He writes the majority of the music.

Yes. Eddie is still there.

Yes. Eddie is still there.

Yes.

Yes.

Even though I'm pro-Eddie when it comes to the name of the band, I'll say this. To me, when I hear the name Van Halen, I think of DLR, EVH, AVH and MA.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Simple...the name of the band is VH and honestly, I think that what got the band on the map of rock & roll was not a long haired blonde singer. It was the guitar virtuosity of one Eddie Van Halen. Had it been Dave's antics that propelled them to the limelight, Black Oak Arkansas would have been there a lot earlier.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree with the second part. It took the chemistry of Dave and Eddie together. Eddie did the construction, Dave was the salesman - VH wouldn't have made it anywhere near as big without one of those guys.

By the time Sammy joined, the brand name was established but the product changed. Same with Gary only this time it changed too much and people stopped buying it.

It's all Van Halen if Eddie wants to call it that, it's his name and his band for all intents and purposes.

But it's pretty hard to argue that it's all the same band in spirit. Van Roth doesn't sounds like Van Hagar doesn't sound like Van Cherone. The product changed even though the brandname stayed the same.

To me, the product (the music) is what is important. It was still called Van Halen with Hagar and Cherone, but I didn't much like one and thought the other sucked. Others obviously disagree....

Eddie could call it Van Halen even if Mike and Alex left and it would be Van Halen but I doubt whether many people would be interested.
    Delusions of eloquence

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

1)YES - They have been Van Halen twice without him.

2)NO - The band is over.

3)NO - If Al is out, Eddie is out too. Its over.

4)NO - Mike's harmonies and bass line are as synonymous as Eddie and Al's playing in the band. It will not be VH without Mikey.

5)YES - They were already VH once without him and if Dave is back, that would make it twice.

6)YES - Van Halen is a musical entity. It has always been about their music. It is quite apparent that they never relied on a singer to pull them together when they have gone through three to date. Arguably, an instrumental VH album may have outsold VH III.