Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is my speculative opinion that Sammy's change of heart to reuniting with Van Halen is due to Mike. Even into the recent tour Sammy said he was happy with what he was doing and he didn't want to go back. Then comes Mike, plays some shows, and all of a sudden he wants back in.

I think Sammy got on the stage with Mike and was flooded with the good memories of being in VH. His renewed friendship with Mike has most likely worn his own stubborness off. The other thing too is he and Eddie were such good friends, that is probably the worst sting for both of them. Having said that, it could be the determinating factor as to a reunion with Sammy takes place. The friendship is a double edged sword when working together.

No matter if either singer returns, it will be the last hoorah. Age is getting these guys, and the relevence of VH is pretty much non existant. All the old bands do their tours which sell out, but anything new just kinda goes by the way side.

It would be a shame if VHIII is the last that is heard of VH. I enjoyed most of III, I liked the direction, but it was all too much for the fans to take. New singer, new sound, dissapointment of no Dave. It would be nice to see them go out with something a little better that the fans accept.

I also don't think Eddie is seriously ill either. I think if he were the Sam and Dave tour wouldn't have happenned. As much bad blood as there is between them and the brothers I couldn't see Dave or Sammy giving such a bitch slapping to the face if Eddie were on his deathbed. Both have more class than that.

They tried it with Dave as we know, it didn't work. Sammy is now ready to give it another shot, but is Eddie? It is all in Eddie's hands now, totally up to him. All parties have to be ready.

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The question also arises, has Eddie hit the creative Rock Star wall yet? They all hit it eventually. Page/Plant, Towsend, Jaggar/Richards. I don't know if Eddie has hit that point however if he hasn't hit it yet, it's probably very near. It's funny to me that it seems like the great Rock stars wrote there best music in the height of there drug or alcohol abuse years. Is it just the fact they were just younger and hungrier, or were the drugs a gateway to opening there musical creativity. I'm not stating I want to see Eddie destroy himself with an addiction problem again to get good music. There is just to much evidence to the contrary.

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Vince:
    The question also arises, has Eddie hit the creative Rock Star wall yet? They all hit it eventually. Page/Plant, Towsend, Jaggar/Richards. I don't know if Eddie has hit that point however if he hasn't hit it yet, it's probably very near. It's funny to me that it seems like the great Rock stars wrote there best music in the height of there drug or alcohol abuse years. Is it just the fact they were just younger and hungrier, or were the drugs a gateway to opening there musical creativity. I'm not stating I want to see Eddie destroy himself with an addiction problem again to get good music. There is just to much evidence to the contrary.
    i thnik he needs to give up the booze and start hitting the acid.

man needs some mind expansion like my dog hendrix... purple haze and shit.

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It seems to me that Eddie's creative periods come in intense bunches with long streches in between.I'll give you some examples--
    Many of the songs on VH1 through 1984 were recycled riffs from the club days (some riffs from the club days even made it on to Balance)
    The next burst came after 1984.Think about all the riffs in "Wild Life"movie that eventually became VH songs (Right Now, AFU , etc.)Riffs from this period made it all the way to VH3 (I Want Some Action>Stompin'8h>Dirty Water Dog)
    Then there were stories like Girl Gone Bad which was a melody Eddie hummed into a tape recorder years earlier.Or Top Of The World recycled from Jump.
    The whole point of this post is he my have hit the wall as early as 1987. Who knows?

(Also on riff recycling- I believe ,and I have no proof of this,that the mythical "Between Us Two" was recycled into VH3's "From Afar". I think those riffs could be seen as VH's Stairway to Heaven)
    The song ain't dirty
    It's really just the way we sing it

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

The sad question is..."will we ever get to hear any of the miles of tape at 5150, containing what i'm guessing is 'genius' material"?

Just imagine all the great music on two-inch tape in 5150 just dying to be heard.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I too see the Sammy/Mike connection being huge in Sam's likely return.

Ed knows that if he want to keep "Van Halen" the band alive, he needs to keep Mikey. His harmonies are just as an important element in their sound as Eddie's guitar.
    when you hear Dave era songs and then Sammy era, you still know its VH because of Mike's voice. He wasn't utilized the same way with VHIII, maybe Eddie purposely wanted it that way to make it sound like a new band.
    Eddie was also so much closer to Sam personally than he ever was with Dave and that is key. At this point in their lives, you just can't "get along" by being drinking buddies anymore while screwing groupies in the tour bus. They have grown up, I think.
    Ed's frustrations with Dave's singing in the BEST OF. sessions only add to his displeasure with him.
    If he can't be "friends" with him, he must at least be able to have a musical bond with him to ever make it work. That bond was straining on & around FAIR WARNING and afterwards, but it was finally broken when Dave "QUIT" the band in 1985.

I am starting to see a trend with Sammy's recent comments about Eddie.
    With him saying he wants Eddie to be ready "mentally" (he knows he is fine physically).
    Maybe the whole cancer/marriage problems/professional pressures have taken their toll on him and he is currently in therapy for it.
    Has anyone ever thought of that?
    How many of us could go through what he has and not be a little fucked up in the head?
    Maybe he wants to quit the booze and butts but just can't do it alone.
    So this is my new thinking about what has been going on as of late. Maybe Val moved out for awhile to let Eddie clear his head.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Ed knows that if he want to keep "Van Halen" the band alive, he needs to keep Mikey. His harmonies are just as an important element in their sound as Eddie's guitar.
    I totally agree!

If the comments Sammy made in his unpublished book about the Brothers wanting to fire Mikey with each new album only to be talked out of it by Sam, then... That makes me feel bad for Mikey and like Eddie and Alex less.

OK, so Michael Anthony is not the most inventive bass player around. But how do we know that he has not been instructed to play in the style that he does so Eddie's guitar work can really shine?

I feel that Anthony should be recognised for his vocals just as much as, if not more than his bass playing. True, Eddie could have found another player to play his bass parts - or even done a better job playing himself. But he'll never find someone to sing like Mike.

And he should realise that.
    "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lately it seems like the only people who aren't interested in a VH reunion are the brothers VH. Then again, they gave Dave multiple chances, maybe they'll be as "generous" with Sam.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I ohly hope that Sammy won't blow it. I also hope the Brother VH won't blow it, either.

[ October 03, 2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Metal Marc ]