Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: 1984-1985

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Time for me to get possibly long winded again! Anyway, back in 1979, with a little help from a song called "Dance The Night Away" and one of my friends who bought their first album, I discovered this awesome band, Van Halen. Now, maybe it was because I was just starting to really discover rock and roll myself, but I thought they were unlike anything I had ever heard. I had all the prerequisite rock albums of the day - Frampton Comes Alive!, Boston, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, but nothing prepared me for what I was hearing now. The next few years we eagerly awaited the next release and when it would be available for $5.99 at Bradlees or whereever. I remember reading that Women And Children First came with a poster of the lead singer chained to a fence inside - boy was I dismayed to find that was the only thing available to protect the record besides the dust jacket. That's okay - Frampton's I'm In You had two inner sleeves, so I just borrowed one of those! In 1981 I got to go to my first ever concert - the Fair Warning tour in Portland, Maine. General Admission (avoid the stampede, get there early). Got right in front of the stage. Didn't know there was supposed to be an opening band so when the Fools came out I thought they were Van Halen - and they didn't look anything like they did on the albums. And hey, I don't recognize these songs! Later, the real Van Halen came out, an I was promptly squashed like a bug. I had to be a contortionist as my feet were planted somewhere about a yard to the right of my upper torso. Finally wriggled out of that and watched the rest of the show from the far reaches of the back of the Civic Center. 1982, time to graduate, and my soundtrack for that period would be Diver Down. Loved "Intruder" the most at that time. 1983 - no album, bummer. In January of 1984 I was doing a part time job doing inventory at Jordan Marsh in Newington, New Hampshire during my college break when on the radio they said they were playing the new Van Halen single - "Jump". Probably didn't hear it too well there, but I'd hear it plenty soon enough. Got 1984 a week or so later and couldn't wait to go back to school to play it on my radio show. On February 16, I opened my show with "1984" (including a bad voice over at the end) and "Jump", later on that show I would also play "Drop Dead Legs", "I'll Wait" and "Top Jimmy" (I didn’t play “Panama” until my March 22 show). There was a memorable (for me) Rockline sans Edward. I really wanted to see them on that tour, but they’d already finished with the Northeast by the time I was out of college and working again. But when I did return home from college, our local cable system had added M-TV, so we were able to watch all those wonderful videos! Van Halen was on top and so were we. 1984 was such a great year for the music we liked anyway: Bryan Adams, The Cars, Def Leppard, Genesis, Billy Idol, Jefferson Starship, Huey Lewis & The News, Robert Plant, The Police, Quiet Riot, Talking Heads, U2, Peter Wolf, Yes, and ZZ Top all had albums that came out that year or were still hot from the year before. We couldn’t wait to see what would be next…or could we? My younger step brothers and I didn’t read a lot of music mags, I don’t know if there was a lot of info on what was going down anyway, but when we found out in April of 1985 that Van Halen was no more, we were heartbroken. How could this happen. Just as there still are, there were conflicting stories back then. I mean, I had only seen them once – and spent a good deal of that show trying to get myself untangled from everyone within a 50 foot radius, and my brothers had never had a chance to go. And now we would never get to see Edward Van Halen and David Lee Roth on stage together. I won’t even get into how we felt when we heard they’d hired Hagar. The bottom line was that this band that was probably the first band that I felt was my band was gone now. And they weren’t the only ones at that time. J. Geils Band was already gone, the Police, Cars and Clash were on their way, too. The Rolling Stones were always a threat and Mick Jagger released a solo album in 1985 and a lot of other acts would have lead singers dabbling in solo albums only to find themselves without a band shortly thereafter. So even with the memories of Live Aid, 1985 will have to be my “year the music died”. How could things go from so great one year to so empty the next? I don’t know. So while I sit here and wait, hoping that the rumours are true and that someday there will be a new Van Halen album and a tour where I can possibly see Dave and Ed on stage together again, please understand if I get a little irritable sometimes – I’ve been waiting 16 years now. I know it won’t be 1984 again, but hopefully it’s about as damn close as we can get.

------------------
    "Well, I'm a bum in the sun and I'm havin' fun
    And I know you know I got no special plans..."

Eat Us And Smile, y'all

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

09.25.13 @ 12:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Bill-

Thank you for the trip down memory lane.

I graduated high school in "85" and remember every band, song and feeling you had just described.

I remember the anticipation of the "1984" album and remember exactly when I bought it.

Varsity basketball team and cheerleading squad were leaving on a bus that afternoon to go play against one of our biggest rivals. The drive I know was at least an hour away, and I was not going to sit on that bus without that tape! I had a friend cover for me, skipped my second to last class before the bus left and went to the record store and bought "1984" on cassette (yes, cassette kiddies!).

I got back in plenty of time for the bus, but first thing I did was stick that tape in my "walkman". I remember I was a little disappointed at first. I think it was the synthesizers that threw me off. (I was hoping for another "Fair Warning"). But, I listened some more and it grew on me.

Got to admit, it's still not one of my favorites - but I do remember my anticipation for that album to come out.

hmmmmmm.......kind of like the anticipation we're feeling right now?

[This message has been edited by LTLDREAMER (edited August 23, 2000 at 03:43 PM).]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LTLDREAMER:
    went to the record store and bought "1984" on cassette (yes, cassette kiddies!).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If they don't remember cassettes, they probably won't remember vinyl which is the format I bought 1984 on. Until I bought it on cassette, and then CD, and next month on CD again. No wonder 1984 sold ten million.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glenn, maybe VH should be giving you a cut of their sales, ya know, kind of like a "rebate" with all the copies of '84 you have?

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LTLDREAMER:
    Glenn, maybe VH should be giving you a cut of their sales, ya know, kind of like a "rebate" with all the copies of '84 you have? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They won't have to ask me twice.

Eruption
    Last Online

11.07.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

geez ... "damn i've got 3 copies of every dave album"

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Up until For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, I bought ALL my Van Halen efforts on tape AND/OR vinyl. And usually on the day they came out! (Well from 5150 onward...as I got into VH in 1985)

F.U.C.K. was my first VH album I bought on CD first.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I can top that....I still have a copy of VH1 on 8-track!! And Im only 30, before everyone starts wondering who this retiree VH freak is!
    When I was living in Atlanta, the radio station there (96 Rock...one of the best stations EVER, IMO) used to play the "8 track Classic of the Day". A song would fade out in the middle, there would be a loud "CH-CHUNK" as the track changed, then fade back in...it was hilarious!

------------------
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"
    E.B.A.S!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

chris, the "8 track" story is too funny! I have to admit, you are probably the only individual I know who owns a VH on 8-track. Very cool!

Favorite VH Album

All!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

i'm with ya billy! i've been jamming on them since '79 myself!! i dig frampton and those other dudes, too!!

------------------
    your official vhlinks prosecutor

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This must be where the oldtimers post......
    billy007......great post.... I remember
    way back when.......where have all the good times gone...in music I mean

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Jamies\' Cryin
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn I remember playing Van Halen II on my brand new JC Penny stereo...You remember the one, the "Cadillac" of JC Penny Stereos, the one with the am/fm, 8-track, record player, and cassette!!!! He He

------------------
    Non Stop Talker...What a Rocker!!!......FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS 3 !!!!!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

I don't have any VH on 8 track, but I have Montrose first album on 8 track, and I am only 27.

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics

I never met a man does'nt owe somebody somethin

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Halen88:
    Damn I remember playing Van Halen II on my brand new JC Penny stereo...You remember the one, the "Cadillac" of JC Penny Stereos, the one with the am/fm, 8-track, record player, and cassette!!!! He He

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I had that one too!! Good to know Im not the only one!

------------------
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"
    E.B.A.S!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just when I thought that no one would remember them the way that I remember them...

I've been a VH fan since the beginning,

One great memory I have, after following them for a few years, and seeing them get bigger and bigger was the debut of the JUMP video on MTV. Do you remember that? It was New Years Eve...
    I had a mad bash at my house, my parents were gone for the night...it was the only party in town, so literally hundreds of people were in my house. We had MTV on in one room and a friend kept giving me the count down to when Dave was going to be on. By the time it came on I was highly intoxicated and started screaming for people to be quiet...they must of known I was serious, cause you could have heard a pin drop right before the song started and then all I remember is seeing Dave's faceup close up, muggin the camera. It seems like yesterday...
    The waiting truly is the hardest part...

------------------
    I don't feel tardy.