Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check it out people -- pretty cool.

Boston Herald
    Monday, July 17, 2000
    "'Pet' project; Brian Wilson brings Beach Boys' 'Sounds' with symphony orchestra to Hub; Wouldn't it be nice to hear 'Pet Sounds'?"

[Bunch of stuff about Brian Wilson's "Pet Sounds" tour, in which he performs the entire "Pet Sounds" album accompanied by a 55-piece symphony orchestra]

Wilson admits that when first presented with the idea he thought it was "kind of corny. And then I got to thinking an orchestra will enrich 'Pet Sounds' a lot." Indeed, Wilson originally envisioned "God Only Knows" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice," songs from the album, as little pop symphonies in 1966.

[more stuff]

Wilson also recently was honored by an induction into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame. One of his idols, Paul McCartney, called Wilson "one of your great American geniuses." It was the Beatles and Phil Spector who spurred Wilson on to experiment with the Beach Boys sound, so he was touched by McCartney's words. "It was quite a thrill," he said of McCartney's admission that Wilson's songs had moved him to tears. "That night was really quite something for me. To make a full grown man cry, from 'Pet Sounds'? I can't believe it."

Wilson never tires of that kind of praise from musicians and fans. "You know I think it's quite a thrill when anybody tells me that. I'm very honored," said Wilson. "And I just hope our catalog starts moving a little bit. Because our catalog is good, there are some good songs."

So many that there have been numerous cover versions. His favorite is David Lee Roth's lascivious take on "California Girls." "What a cover job, wow!" said Wilson. "I thought he took it to a new place."

[bunch of stuff about what Wilson plans to do in the future]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's strange to see Brian Wilson interviewed. You can't help but wonder how clear his head is because of everything he's been through. I would definately say he's a musical genius, but I wonder if he's even very aware of who Dave is and if he's even aware of Dave's California Girls version.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm sure that Brian has heard the song. Carl Wilson sang backing vocals on Dave's version so it's always possible that Brian may have heard it even before it was released.

I have always thought that Brian Wilson was extremely underrated as a songwriting genius. And the sound he created, especially those harmonies, set a standard that few have come close to even 35 years later. Though the classic Van HALEN harmonies come close

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know Brian Wilson has had major problems, but he's interviewed pretty extensively in the recent PBS History of Rock N Roll series (thus it's not surprising to him give an interview now), he was interviewed on Entertainment Tonight during his 1999 tour (thus it's not surprising to see him give an interview now), he's on his second tour in recent years (thus it's not surprising to see him give an interview now in support of it), he obviously knows who Paul McCartney is (or do you dispute this too?), and a part of the article that I omitted because it didn't seem relevant is about what current bands Brian Wilson says he admires (and if he admires them he must know who they are, too).

So the notion that he probably doesn't even know who Dave is and just said what he said because he's in some kind of haze seems way off base to me.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Ah, you took that a bit personally didn't you? I didn't think you wrote the article or anything. Any interviews I've seen of Brian lately it's like he's reading off of cue cards or has his statements organized ahead of time, but that's just my impression. Saying you admire Limp Bizcut (as an example) doesn't necessarily mean anything more than knowing how to pronounce their name (though I think I spelled it wrong). You clearly took offense to my comments, none was intended.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love VH's solo...never liked his solo work, except a couple of songs. Eddie, Alex and Mike just can't be raplaced.

However, California Girls is a shining moment. He keeps the similarity of the original...yet, really adds the DLR touch. I'll admit...sometimes DLR, even though annoying...Can be a pretty cool guy. And when I see California Girls video, it always makes me smile.

Dave really needs to get back in the spotlight w/ VH so he can have fun again, cuz that's when he's the best.

FORD-Brian Wilson is one of the top 10 greatest song writers ever. You're right about everything, except VH harmonies coming close to "Pet Sounds"...that's kinda like saying John Lowery came close to Eddie on Slam Dunk...

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I LOVE brian Wilson.

That man is a testament to life, itself. He got abused by his father as a kid (as did the other Wilson brothers ) and he took that emotional baggage into the studio and changed music, forever.

Through all his problems, depression, drugs, the deaths of both his brothers, etc. - He never stopped TRYING.

I bought a 5-CD set called "Good Vibrations - 30 Years Of The Beach Boys."

It takes you from their first recording all the way uo to their later work in the late 80's. It's mind-blowing to me how talented Brian Wilson was.

If you choose to buy it, you will NOT have wasted a cent.

Brian Wilson did for vocals what Eddie Van Halen did for guitars.

I'm not trying to compare The Beach Boys to VH because that's apples and oranges, but The Beach Boys are similar to Van Halen in as much as this...

They will NEVER get the proper credit that they deserve.

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Sizzlin' an' drizzlin' an' hoppin' an' boppin' nonstoppin' to the top'n nah nah yezz...well welll welllll....
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

seven years between posts

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150