Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is old stuff, but i was thinking about this.

when VH was doing the TWISTER soundtrack, ED was telling SAMMY not to write songs about tornados
    and then ED and AL do a song called RESPECT THE WIND. i know it's an instrumental but it is a pattern of double standards by ED during the SAMMY years.

and i don't want to start a new thread so i'll put this here.
    i was flipping around and caught DAVID SPADE on trl. and he said JOE DIRT would like VAN HALEN not VAN HAGAR. GRANT had that on the no news desk awhile back.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Hmmm, I don't really see that particular thing as a double standard. There's a big difference between having an instrumental song that happens to mention "wind" in the title and a song that lyrically deals with storms.

And really, it wasn't Eddie, but director Jan DeBont (I think that's his name) who requested that the songs lyrics not deal with tornados.

What other double standards are you thinking of in regards to EVH?

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well ED got mad at SAMMY for his solo stuff. but he has made numerous apperances on other people's record. i understand ED has never put out a solo record, but we know why SAMMY put out UNBOXED. and if you remember ED didn't want any mention of certain storm related phrases.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by topik killer:
    and if you remember ED didn't want any mention of certain storm related phrases.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here's a quote from Eddie from the November 1996 Guitar World. Assuming he's telling the truth, it wasn't Eddie who was steering Sammy away from writing about storms, it was the director of the film.

Alex had called up the director, Jan DeBont, to ask him how closely he wanted the lyrics of the song that became Humans Being to be related to the movie's content. DeBont said, "Oh, please don't write about tornados. I don't want this to be a narrative for the movie".

Now, if I recall correctly, Sammy said that his lyrics about "sky turning black, knuckles turning white" weren't intended to be about tornado's, they were his interpretation of falling into a relationship. Seems like there was a lot of mis-communication going on between all parties of Van Halen at the time.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GLENN, i am of the mind that the TWISTER soundtrack was bad idea. what is your opinion?

that's one my favorite things about VH, that they haven't done a lot of soundtracks. at least with orginal material. i know it would be nice if we had more music, but i "RESPECT" that the fact that they don't cheapen themselves ala AEROSMITH. and i know it was a favor for WB.
    it was bad timing with SAMMY's wife's first birth. i bet you that if it would have been VAL having problems he wouldn't have hesitated in putting off doing the songs.another double standard.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I agree that the Twister thing was a bad idea. It would be interesting to know what the exact chronology of time was, but Sammy has said that that project occured "immediately" following the Balance tour.

To me, a good manager would have been aware of the tensions within the band at the conclusion of the Balance tour and encouraged all of them to take a good long break away from each other. Some cheezy soundtrack is hardly a good enough reason to tempt fate and destroy a band. Then, with some vacation time under their belts, they could have come back together with a fresher perspective. Now, at that point, the whole relationship could still have fallen apart, but at least that decision would have been made with clearer intentions.

I don't know, that still doesn't make mention of the Best Of project that lead to even more trouble. To me, you've automatically got HUGE problems when your manager is treating certain members one way, and certain members another. Ray was the wrong man at the wrong time for Van Halen.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

very true. hey if your still here, does the drums on "EVERYBODY WANTS SOME" sound as ALEX said the second coming? (the remastered version).

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by topik killer:
    very true. hey if your still here<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm always here. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>does the drums on "EVERYBODY WANTS SOME" sound as ALEX said the second coming? (the remastered version).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not sure I understand your question bro. Are you asking if I think the drums on the remastered Everybody Wants Some sound HUGE?

If that's what you're asking, I'll have to throw that CD in and give it another listen. Ahh, the sacrifices I make for VH. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah that's what i'm asking. i have another question for you. do leave your computer on all day?

last one out turn off the light, GLENN.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Okay, I'm listening to Everybody Wants Some!! as I type this. Damn, those drums are just cooking all over the headphones. No question, Alex sounds like a monster on this one (and so many others). I still think Mikey could be a lot louder.

And no, I don't leave the computer on at night. I usually shut it off around 11 o'clock at night (which is right now!!) and don't turn it back on until late the next morning. My wife likes to see me periodically. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i meant the beginning drum intro. it can barely be heard on the orginial version. AL said he was beating the shit out of them, but it came out sounding like tiki drums.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In an attempt to get back on topic, some of the comments Sammy made about the Twister song from an interview on vhlinks (edited by yours truly):

[About songs for the movie]
    I had written lyrics to a song called "The Silent Extreme," which Alex later renamed "Humans Being... Bruce didn't care for the rock tune that much, but he absolutely loved the ballad. So, we record the two songs.

[About "no songs about twisters"]
    In our first meeting about the soundtrack, Ed and Al told me they didn't want the song to be about Twisters, and I said fine no problem. Ray Danniels came up to me and said he didn't want a song about Twisters. Again I said fine, no problem. All I wanted to do was see some footage of the film so I could at least make some of the lyrics fit the action on the screen. Since Eddie and Alex saw the movie to make their music fit, I thought I'd better do the same thing to get a vibe or the lyrics... From what I saw on the screen, I thought the movie was about the infatuation people have with fear and how it can suck you in. Sometimes you're afraid to fall in love with a chick, but she sucks you in anyway. You know that if you start messing with this girl, you'll become infatuated with the danger that she represents. So "The Silent Extreme" was a song that talked about being right in the middle of all this, and I wrote this really cool lyric I thought said it all.

[About the rumored tornado lyrics]
    Headed for the "suck zone." That lyric had nothing to do with tornadoes... The only word in that phrase that even comes close to sounding like a twister is "sky turning black." But that line can mean anything, you know... It was all about entering the silent extreme.

[About the folder of terms]
    Jan told me that he had this folder in his possession that belonged to the guy who wrote the screenplay for the movie. He said the folder contained some 300 pages of technical weather terms that tornado chasers use, like "suck zone," "the bear is coming through" and "there's a dry line down here." He told me that if I wanted it, he'd send it to me. Now, I thought "suck zone" was a bad-ass term, a very teenage trip kind of thing. Jan and Bud totally got off on the idea, and they said that if I could use words like that in the song without writing about a Twister, that would be great. I told them I'd do absolutely that. Jan then sent me the folder the screenwriter used; I still have it at my house today.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."