Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Alright, I know this has been done before but it's been quite awhile. Plus there's always new people popping up here.

For me I discovered the Mighty VH at the tender age of 11. The year was 1982, my older brother bought me a birthday present....'Fair Warning' on cassette. Actually I'm almost positive he bought it because he wanted it for himself & he had to buy me a present anyway, so he bought me the tape. Basically he bought it so he could borrow it whenever he wanted.

My reaction was "What's this??" ....He told me to trust him & that I would dig it. Of course....I did. I was just really starting to get into music around that time. My brother usally never steered me wrong, he had already started to turn me onto Zep, Sabbath, Rush, AC/DC...etc.

I really didn't know anything about VH at the time except for a couple of early tunes but never associated them with VH, knew the songs just didn't know who did 'em. Anyways, the opening riff to 'Unchained' pretty much changed my life, since then no one has topped VH as my favorite band.....No one!

After hearing 'FW', I had to go out & buy all thier other albums & anything else VH. I guess nothing has changed in those 19 years, 'cause I'm still trying to get my grubby little hands on anything I can.

Later

------------------
    "We'll just blaze on & make the best possible music we can...Hopefully the fans will like everything we do."
    EVH-1986

"As a matter of fact, we're even gonna dedicate this next song....To all those people....Who make baggies."
    DLR-1976

[This message has been edited by Rod Dangle (edited March 06, 2001 at 08:11 AM).]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was 11 or 12 (can't remember precisely) - it was back when that Crystal Pepsi commercial was around, because I can remember thinking something like, "That's a really good jingle." Of course a few weeks later I heard the song again on my brother's stereo in his bedroom. So there I was, standing outside his room with my ear to the door listening to it waiting for the song to finish to figure out of it was a commercial or an actual music group. Luck would have it he was listening to the For UCK tape. I just waited for him to leave and snuck in there to figure out what band it was.

Ah yes, the early days when the only Van Halen I had was my brother's tape of For UCK and his CDs of 1984 and OU812.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was trying to get all of ZZ Top's albums, so I joined BMG(:)and got their Recycler album and thought I'd take a chance and get a VH CD. Well, it turned out to be the FUCK CD. It was good, and I had to listen to Judgement Day over and over again. Then a friend of mine joined a CD club and got Balance. I borrowd it, taped it and then bought my own CD copy. Since then, I've been hooked and have always wondered if any other guitarist would equal Eddie. That's my short story of being "born again" into music.

------------------
    Kenyon Vincent-the linker formerly known as Red-Balled Mammoth.
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenyonVincent:
    I was trying to get all of ZZ Top's albums, so I joined BMG()and got their Recycler album and thought I'd take a chance and get a VH CD. Well, it turned out to be the FUCK CD. It was good, and I had to listen to Judgement Day over and over again. Then a friend of mine joined a CD club and got Balance. I borrowd it, taped it and then bought my own CD copy. Since then, I've been hooked and have always wondered if any other guitarist would equal Eddie. That's my short story of being "born again" into music.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oops, I meant to edit my post but accidentally hit quote.

------------------

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Luckily, I have older brothers who were in high school in the late 70's early 80's, when VH took over the world. So VH was always cranking in their rooms and cars.

The first VH record I bought the day it was released was 1984, when I was 13.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool thread, well I was 14 when my sisters boyfreind handed me one night VHI, WACF, and 84' and said "here ya go Darren, this will change your'e life". I was like WTF? Sat down and listened to the opening riff of eruption and never went back. I've been Halenized for 11 years now.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

When I was about five years old my Dad used to play "Jump" on the stereo and it quickly became my favorite song. But I didn't really get into Van Halen until about age 10. I remember my Mom, Dad, brother, and I went to the mall and my Dad bought Balance. After that we went to the grocery store and we stayed in the car while my Mom went in. Anyway, my Dad started playing the tape and I was blown away by "Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)". Then I finally saw the music videos for Balance to see what they're like. I thought they were the coolest guys in the world. My mission after that was to play the hell out of that tape and also listen to all of their other music.

------------------
    "It ain't gonna change overnight, no. And it ain't goin' away without a fight. Yeah! Livin' with the aftershock."

"When I need something to soothe my soul, I listen to too much rock 'n' roll."

Dan Halen - My site

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The only Van Halen song that I remember hearing before becoming a fan was Runnin' With the Devil.

But I became a fan in 1984 when I bought the 1984 album. I really don't remember what made me buy it, I was 13 years old and I was on vacation visiting my Grandparents. I do remember being impressed with the album cover. Anyway, that was it for me, and I still have that LP.

------------------
    More perks than Elvis' night stand!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the 1984 LP, but cannot find it. I kinda think the LP sounds better than the CD.

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I wanted 1984...so, my friend and I walked to the music store, and they were sold out. I was pissed. He says to me,"If you like them so much, just buy one of their other albums." Bought 'Fair Warning', dropped it in the box, and never stopped rockin' to the best band ever!

------------------
    "Van Halen fans been hangin' in there for a long time...they're probably the best fans in the world..."-Sammy

"Forget all about that macho shit and learn how to play guitar"-Mellencamp

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    My parents bought me VH II when I was 9 for Christmas. I was like, "What, no KISS Album?" LOL. Thank God for Mom and Pops. And thank God for Van Halen. Out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I heard "Right Now" at a hockey game in the 7th grade. The intro piano & bass riffs blew me away. I associated them with Van Halen about a few months afterward, then bought BOV1 in December of 1999.

Yes, I'm a "late bloomer" when it comes to Van Halen fanship.

I just can't get enough. Now I'm trying to convert everyone in sight.

------------------
    Dirty Faced Kid & damn proud of it.

All your base are belong to us!
    Somebody set up us the bomb!
    Take off all 'zig'!!

Strange is beautiful.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was in 7th grade, about two months before Fair Warning shows rolled into town. I went to my friends house and he played me Women and Childern First. My older brother (by 5 years) hadn't gotten me into them. This was the first rock band I got him into. I did not see the FW tour but by the time DD came out I went with bro and a guy from his work named Alex Scolnick (forgive me, I can't spell his last name and I'm too lazy to grab the yearbook) Alex and I went to Berkeley High together and he always tried to get that Eddie hair cut I never knew it till much later but Al went on to be a rock star himself. We were freshman when we saw VH at the Cow Palace in '82. Security drove by us in the parking lot, grabbed my beer and thru it to the ground. I was scared shitless.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was about 12 or 13 and my sister's then boyfriend (who I still stay in contact with because he's such an awesome guitarist) made me two tapes of 70s and 80s guitar rock. Well, the Van Halen stuff on them just hit me like a freight train! I immediately started collecting the albums and they have been my favourite band ever since.

------------------
    RD

"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)