Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.12 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think what so many people miss in DLR's contribution to Van Halen (especially the Redtards) is the presence of irony. To suggest that Roth's lyrics were mere party anthems is to ignore what lurked beneath, in between and just beyond the actual words. To say that Roth's lyrics were mindless is to demonstrate your own ignorance.

It's like saying Hunter S. Thompson just wrote a bunch of party books. Or William Burroughs just wrote a bunch of drug books. Or Franz Kafka just wrote a bunch of paranoia books.

It could even be said that Robert Plant just recycled a bunch of Tolkien themes.

Whereas Plant often penned odes to Middle Eart mythology, Dave created his own mythology. A mythology in which the universe revolved around his crotch. Roth's lyrics told the tale of Diamond Dave - the ultimate alpha-male. The loudest, the funniest, the smartest motherfucker on the block. Plus he could defy gravity!

And while Plant's lyrics often painted an overly-earnest picture of Tolkien's fantasty world, Dave issued forth harrowing tales of his own misadventures in a fantasy world that he had carefully constructed for your entertainment.

And, more importantly, Dave did it with a wink.

Either you got the joke or you didn't. Many Hagar fans still don't. Some might argue that even Dave no longer gets it - that the joker has become the joke. Even so, the irony is beautiful.

Am I saying that Dave's lyrics are intellectual? Hell yes! Taken in context, Dave may have created some of the greatest rock lyrics of all time. They're great because they elevate the music. They're great because they work on multiple levels. They're great because they serve to construct an elaborately overblown artifice that both supports and is supported by Roth's hyperkinetic persona. And if you think all this happened by mere accident. Think again. Roth was fully aware of what he was creating.

Sammy Hagar, in contrast, is a ham-headed nincompoop upon which Roth's dramatic irony falls like a tons of bricks. Van Hagar is a dumbed-down version of the original. It operates on a single, mindless, level. There are no winks. There are no hidden smiles. What you see is what you get. Mediocrity at it's finest.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You mean Sammy lyrics aren't intelligent????

I heard it took forever to come up with:

"Wham bam oh Amsterdam"

Look at the possibilities!

Wham....could be attributed to George Michael's band. Maybe he knew the George was "bamming" in Amsterdam!

bam.....look at the underlying message here. "Bam Bam" from The Flinstones saw Wham perform in Amsterdam and it showed him something like nothing else can?

I think you need to re-read the lyric sheet on the OU812 album again. Reading the lyrics and trying to understand the words to "Sucker In a 3 piece" is like trying to decipher Homer's "The Iliad".
    banned 3x

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Examples, Lance? [img]smile.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by lance watts:
    I think what so many people miss in DLR's contribution to Van Halen (especially the Redtards) is the presence of irony. To suggest that Roth's lyrics were mere party anthems is to ignore what lurked beneath, in between and just beyond the actual words. To say that Roth's lyrics were mindless is to demonstrate your own ignorance.

It's like saying Hunter S. Thompson just wrote a bunch of party books. Or William Burroughs just wrote a bunch of drug books. Or Franz Kafka just wrote a bunch of paranoia books.

It could even be said that Robert Plant just recycled a bunch of Tolkien themes.

Whereas Plant often penned odes to Middle Eart mythology, Dave created his own mythology. A mythology in which the universe revolved around his crotch. Roth's lyrics told the tale of Diamond Dave - the ultimate alpha-male. The loudest, the funniest, the smartest motherfucker on the block. Plus he could defy gravity!

And while Plant's lyrics often painted an overly-earnest picture of Tolkien's fantasty world, Dave issued forth harrowing tales of his own misadventures in a fantasy world that he had carefully constructed for your entertainment.

And, more importantly, Dave did it with a wink.

Either you got the joke or you didn't. Many Hagar fans still don't. Some might argue that even Dave no longer gets it - that the joker has become the joke. Even so, the irony is beautiful.

Am I saying that Dave's lyrics are intellectual? Hell yes! Taken in context, Dave may have created some of the greatest rock lyrics of all time. They're great because they elevate the music. They're great because they work on multiple levels. They're great because they serve to construct an elaborately overblown artifice that both supports and is supported by Roth's hyperkinetic persona. And if you think all this happened by mere accident. Think again. Roth was fully aware of what he was creating.

Sammy Hagar, in contrast, is a ham-headed nincompoop upon which Roth's dramatic irony falls like a tons of bricks. Van Hagar is a dumbed-down version of the original. It operates on a single, mindless, level. There are no winks. There are no hidden smiles. What you see is what you get. Mediocrity at it's finest.
    That was BEAUTIFUL! - very well written.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.12 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    Examples, Lance? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    C'mon Sharky, do I have to do ALL the work? Just pop a VH cd into the office Bang & Olufsen. The senior partners will love it.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I don't think many people would disagree that the lyrics from the Hagar era are subpar when compared to those of the classic era. I cringe at many of the lyrics penned by Hagar. That being said, I have never been terribly impressed with Dave's lyrics either. Occasionally, any artist will discover a diamond in the rough. That's why I asked for examples of lyrics you think elevate Dave to the status of "lyrical genius."

P.S. My firm is Dewey Cheatem & Howe.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great post Lance. Dave's lyrics have always been underrated. Give me some of Dave's "impenetrable spirit" over Radiohead's bellyaching any day.

Here's a just a few of my fave lyrical observations from "The World According to Dave."

"Don't want no class reunion.
    This circus just left town.
    Why behave in public if you're
    livin' on a playground?"

Fools (pretty much sums up his whole attitude as a performer right there)

"Ain't got no money, got no house on the hill
    Tell me, honey, will your always pay my bills?"

Hear about it Later (tongue planted firmly in cheek on that one)

"Some people live apart;
    They break your heart so damn easy
    And then one night in sunny victory
    She decides and you agree, she's leaving"

Push Comes to Shove (The monogamous, reflective DLR, who'da thunk it?)

"Shes as strong as the mountains, walks tall as a tree.
    She been there before, she'll never give in,
    She'll be gone tomorrow like the silent breeze."

Secrets (Not always the chauvinist he's made out to be, poetry in the midst of the much maligned Diver Down opus)

"I like the way the line runs up the back of the stockings.
    I've always liked those kind of high heels too."

Everybody Wants Some(me too Dave, me too
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damnit Lance! I have been looking for a good word other than SHEEP. Redtards is classic! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Roth = Lyrical Genious

Hagar = Lyrical Felonist
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just out of curiousity, trolled through some of Sam's solo lyrics on redrocker.com. There's some beaut's in there.

Words to live by for those living in mobile homes and brewing their own spirits

"Money is burnin' a hole in your pocket
    Friday night we'll blow the stars out of socket, oh yeah!
    Skyrocket! Skyrocket, babe!"
    Rock n Roll Weekekend

"Well this one way love-affair, it ain't fair
    It ain't no kind of fair to me
    It's all give and take, and you just take"
    I've Done Everything for You

"Oh, my temperatures risin'
    The thermometer's gonna pop
    And I can see no reason
    Why it's ever gonna stop"
    Straight to the Top

"Lay your hand on me
    Lay your hand on me
    Lay your hand on me
    Lay your hand on me
    Lay your hand on me
    Lay your hand on me
    Lay your hand on me
    Lay your hand on me
    Lay your hand on me
    Lay your hand on me"

Gee, I wonder what the name of this song is? I swear this is taken right from his site. He puts more originality and creativity into the prose on the labels of his tequila bottles
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wait, isn't that the name of a Bon Jovi song?!?!?!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Executionor:
    Wait, isn't that the name of a Bon Jovi song?!?!?!
    Bon Jovi's song is called "Lay Your Hands on Me" (plural). That's what makes Sammy's tune original. Oh, he's clever alright [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

"THIS MUST BE JUST LIKE LIVING IN PARADISE!!!!"
    not another dime from me, fellas...

tinzen

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by willyum:
    "THIS MUST BE JUST LIKE LIVING IN PARADISE!!!!"
    One line does not a message make, although Dave's far from perfect. He's had some lyrical misses on occasion, Skyscraper and Counter-Blast spring to mind immediately, but his words always reflect the person who wrote them (well read, controversial and larger than life). Sammy on the other hand is insipid and illiterate on a regular basis. I generally stay out of the Sammy vs. Dave circle jerks as I enjoy both eras (thanks EVH), but Dave wins the lyrics comparison, hook, line and double entendre.

"Yesterday, I saw my love light shine."

It's called a glow-in-the-dark condom, Sammy. You've got to work on your descriptions.

"Edward does not read. It's not a muscle that he exercises."
    David Lee Roth

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later, Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Crazy from the Hemp:
    Great post Lance. Dave's lyrics have always been underrated. Give me some of Dave's "impenetrable spirit" over Radiohead's bellyaching any day.

Here's a just a few of my fave lyrical observations from "The World According to Dave."

"Ain't got no money, got no house on the hill
    Tell me, honey, will your always pay my bills?"

Hear about it Later (tongue planted firmly in cheek on that one)

Sorry, but you have the lyrics wrong. "Ain't Got no money, got no house on the hill, Tell me honey, will you always be my pills, yeah, be my pills?".

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.29.16 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

isn't it, "...tell me honey will your lovin' pay my bills"?