Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know there's going to be alot of responses...i'd assume....but here's MY opinion:
    To me, it's EVH all the way. Yes, Vai is a technician, and he does....at times....show decent feel. He knows all the rules in the book....and he's got a sense of humor. BUT....i think in terms of overall innovation, influence, originality, and soul....EVH takes it. Some say how "technical" Vai is....yes, he can rip. Does he truly tower over Ed? Nope. Eddie is more off-the-cuff....more spur-of-the-moment....but he by no means is any less wicked with his licks, just becasue they're not planned out like a graph. Speed-wise, they both can shred.....i happen to think EVH does it with more taste. Listen to the solo to Pleasure Dome...listen to the live version of Summer Nights from Live Without A Net....listen to the break on One Foot Out The Door.....Drop Dead Legs....Hous Of Pain....the list goes on. EVH has the skills...the feel....the touch. To me, Vai is a bit too mechanical without the true soul....nor the originality. Satch taught him well....but as with EVH, he owns his ass. Later, and flame away.....i'm ready. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "SIMPLY SAID....GOD IS ED!!!!"

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:07 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Can't say I disagree with those sentiments. Vai is a world-class guitarist, and is technically better NOW than Eddie. But in 1981, there was only one other guitarist who was approaching Eddie, and that was Randy Rhoads. Vai has never approached the originality or innovation that is Eddie Van Halen. I'd rather hear personality than a precision soloing machine. Don't get me wrong, I do love Vai's playing, but he will never be as original as Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption
    Last Online

11.03.15 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] i think its joe satriani...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Please don\'t make me choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think these two men are comparable. They are making their statements in different forums. The context in which they speak are two totalily different things, and to try and pit the two against each other to me is both closed minded and ignorant.

Steve has always been an instrumentalist who has a predisposition to make his statements within the context of classical pieces with movements. He states a theme or melodic line to establish an overall theme, then takes the piece to a counterpoint for contrast. From there he usually solos which can change on any given night to then come home and restate the melodic theme from the begining. It's a different taste for a different atttention span.

I will always love Ed for what he is. He has choosen to make his statements in the realm for the rock song. He was the first guitarist that "I got". I understood what he was doing and what he was saying through the notes and expressions he choose. To me he will always be tops! ALWAYS.

I do have to say one more time that it is unfair to take these two people (who have a mutual respect for what the other does knowing that they are two different creatures) and try and put them in the same box.

Rock on.
    TD

[ December 17, 2002, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Tonedaddy ]
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by Tonedaddy:
    I don't think these two men are comparable. They are making their statements in different forums. The context in which they speak are two totalily different things, and to try and pit the two against each other to me is both closed minded and ignorant.

Steve has always been an instrumentalist who has a predisposition to make his statements within the context of classical pieces with movements. He states a theme or melodic line to establish an overall theme, then takes the piece to a counterpoint for contrast. From there he usually solos which can change on any given night to then come home and restate the melodic theme from the begining. It's a different taste for a different atttention span.

I will always love Ed for what he is. He has choosen to make his statements in the realm for the rock song. He was the first guitarist that "I got". I understood what he was doing and what he was saying through the notes and expressions he choose. To me he will always be tops! ALWAYS.

I do have to say one more time that it is unfair to take these to people who have a mutual respect for what the other does knowing that they are two different creatures and try and out them in the same box.

Rock on.
    TD
    yep..me too...

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Eddie is the best SONGwriter.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.15.09 @ 04:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rokgtar:
    Can't say I disagree with those sentiments. Vai is a world-class guitarist, and is technically better NOW than Eddie. But in 1981, there was only one other guitarist who was approaching Eddie, and that was Randy Rhoads. Vai has never approached the originality or innovation that is Eddie Van Halen. I'd rather hear personality than a precision soloing machine. Don't get me wrong, I do love Vai's playing, but he will never be as original as Eddie.
    Let me start by saying that I think Randy Rhoads was awesome. However, I never understood how people could argue that he's Eddie's equal (or better). I never thought Randy's playing was as creative as Eddie's (early playing only). Plus, I've found Randy's playing is much easier to duplicate than Eddie's. Eddie's phrasing is/was so unique that I've only heard a few players duplicate it anywhere near accurately, where as you hear many more accurate rip-offs of Randy's playing from not-so able guitarists. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Let me just say that it all started with Eddie and as far I am concerned, It will all end with Eddie. Edward Van Halen is the one who gave guitar a soul, gave birth to a new generation of guitar players and most importanly gave Rock and Roll a real good kick in the ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Welcome to the real world."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,579 Times in 4,935 Posts

E V H
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think Ed can handle a standard shift better than Steve because of his Italian sports cars. But Steve spends a lot of time in Lake Tahoe and is from Boston so you have to give him the edge in winter driving conditions. To me it's a wash.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmm hard to say... my favorite guitar player is eddie...

vai is a psycho, a freak, he can play anything he wants to, no limits... so i would say overall vai is better than eddie.

eddie has more feel and soul in his playing than vai, and i think he is limited in some kinda way, he just experiments on different kinda licks and sounds, but vai can play what he likes to express...

i.e. sounds etc... eddie is better... i think he has the best sounding guitar on the planet...
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.06.06 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Randy was awesome in my opinion as well ... he's i think the only musician who died at an early age who's not overated .. (i know i'll prolly get kaned for that comment cause theres prolly some i don't know about .. )

as for vai and evh ... it's impossible for me to decide .. it depends what mood i'm in i won't go into evh too much cause most of the points for him have been stated .. but on one hand eddie has written some of the greatest riffs and solos of all time ...

but it always fascinated me players like vai and lukather and even jimmy page who worked as studio musicians and could just come in and play in whatever style was nessecary .. and anyone who's studied music will know it's amazing to hear people like vai who just have incredibly strong listening and aural skills .

also the dlr EEAS album is just incredible .. ladies night in buffalo has the most awesome solo ever ...

from what i've heard eddie has these skills he has a very strong ear . but i don't think people understand how much better he could have used it had he had proper training in how to use he's ear ...

it may sound like i'm favouring vai here but i'm not i just didn't state my eddie points i consider them pretty much equal.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, steve lukather is way underated... he knows what a song needs, and he knows what to play and what NOT to play... i think he is one of the best out there, just listen to all his solo records, specially candyman, there are some great jazz-rock solos in it, they blew me away, sometimes lukather makes me wanna throw my guitar away HAHA
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Again, "better" is being applied to
    something entirely subjective.
    That said, Eddie is/was a true
    original in much the same way as
    Hendrix - who was also not that
    terribly schooled a player.
    In terms of chops and schooling,
    Vai is world-class. But Ed gets
    the edge for sheer originality/
    creativity. Maybe the correct
    verbage here would be "greater"
    as Ed's impact has certainly been
    that.
    I will say this, though. I felt
    at the time of their respective
    releases (and still feel) that
    Eat 'Em kicked the shit out of
    5150 and was more akin to what I
    expected from a VH record.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

you know i can't remember where i read it, but i do remember it being on the net about a year ago or so.

there's a guy who's in management and has seenvai, clapton, and eddie play. matter of fact, he's worked with all 3 of em. and he said, neither of those 2 came close to eddie.

ya gotta remember something. eddie sounds to most of us like he does on a van halen album. that doesn't mean that's the only style of music he likes to/or can play. vai is in a position to put out different stuff from time to time. ed isn't in that position being in van halen

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw