Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was listening to a dance track last night, called 'Digital Love', by Daft Punk. This song was featured on a GAP commercial with Juliette Lewis.

Now here is the interesting part- there is a totally FX-drenched guitar solo, that just HAS to be Ed. I know he is not credited on the album sleeve, but you all know how he is about not accepting payment for guest solo spots- and perhaps he didn't want Warner to cause any problems (Daft Punk are on Virgin), so he went un-named. That is my theory- that or whoever did the solo has copped Eddie's style all the way. The note choices, the rhythm, everything smacks of Ed. Check it out, and let me know what you think...
    If it sounds good, it is good.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

DLR: 1984 Sammy: FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DLR: So This is Love, Sammy: The Dream Is Over, Gary: That\'s Why I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when this song came out i was speaking to a friend who's into dance about how much this sounded like eddie's style. apparently daft punk were actually a punk band before they changed to more dance-oriented stuff. they can play instruments so it's more likely to just be them copying his style.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, maybe. But have you heard the song? I mean, that's some blistering playing. Not many punk bands can shred. If it wasn't Ed, then it had to be someone who lived and breathed his style.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

DLR: 1984 Sammy: FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DLR: So This is Love, Sammy: The Dream Is Over, Gary: That\'s Why I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah i've heard the song and i doubt very much it's ed. and who says a punk player can't play fast? there's a british punk band called "A" that are big van halen fans, so much so that on their latest album the guitarist deliberately did a track in the style of evh as a tribute. the song's called "the distance" if anyone's interested.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I know abouy 'A'- they are cool. Some punk players can play shred, jazz, whatever. That's not the point. The point is that there is a blazing solo on a dance album. Now I have heard some blazing guitar playing in my time, and the only player I have heard on record that got near to Ed's sense of rhythm and timing was Vito Bratta.

The Daft Punk solo could have been played by anyone, including a no-name session guitar player. But the licks, the tapping, the picking, it all sounds like EVH to me, and to those of my friends who can tell the difference. There is just such a similarity in the style of the solo on that record and Ed's- plus no-one is credited for the part. So it leads me to believe that either one of the talented musicians in Daft Punk laid it down, OR it was a secret guess spot.

Anyway, it is speculation, thus the reason I posted it here. You can disagree, but it's a great song, and I think it's worth checking out.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

van halen, 5150, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

runnin with the devil, 5150, aint talkin bout love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Apparently there are a few songs by A named after some VH songs, at least some people in this world enjoy what VH has done for the world
    You've only got 12 notes and however you mix them up is your thing.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol... i can tell you, it´s not ed... maybe the guitar-player is influenced by ed, but i´ve read some interviews, its defenitly NOT ed, they are from france i think and they have a very good guitar player (he plays some solos and then they bound it into the song, and they used alot of samples from their guitarplayer) ... and i hardly doubt that ed even knows a band called "daft punk"... and i think he hates dance music, i´ve read that in an interwiev years ago...

[ February 23, 2003, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: gravedigger ]
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.10.12 @ 01:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

'A' also have covered DLRs 'Just Like Paradise' on the BBC TV program Re-Covered which was pretty cool!

Re-Daft Punk... I don`t think its Ed, the tone is all wrong (unless they radically altered it after in the mix?). It is definitely influenced by him though. I have the CD, there are a couple of cool guitar bits on it, but most of it is too dancey for me.

[ February 23, 2003, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: ChrisUK ]